Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:39 PM   #1

I've just joined this forum and (perhaps) incorrectly posted my question in a wrong section (sorry Steve!).

I've just bought a FZ30 and was wondering if there's any way to set the camera so that it will include the date in the actual picture - previously I used a Sony Cybershot T1 which had this option which I found useful.

Also, for any users of this camera, I would welcome any "undocumented " tips as to its use as I'm planning a 15 day trip to Orlando in April and plan to take 100's of pictures of the trip and want them to be perfect!!!

A real question that I would ask here is also whether it's really necessary to take pictures at 8Mb when one "only" wants to either print up to A4 size or display them on a pc screen? Maybe it's my eyesight (I'm well over 21!!) and I feel that 3Mb are more than sufficient. Am I wrong?

Thanks for reading all of this,

Raymond
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:00 PM   #2

RaymondK wrote:
Quote:
I've just joined this forum and (perhaps) incorrectly posted my question in a wrong section (sorry Steve!).

I've just bought a FZ30 and was wondering if there's any way to set the camera so that it will include the date in the actual picture - previously I used a Sony Cybershot T1 which had this option which I found useful.

Also, for any users of this camera, I would welcome any "undocumented " tips as to its use as I'm planning a 15 day trip to Orlando in April and plan to take 100's of pictures of the trip and want them to be perfect!!!

A real question that I would ask here is also whether it's really necessary to take pictures at 8Mb when one "only" wants to either print up to A4 size or display them on a pc screen? Maybe it's my eyesight (I'm well over 21!!) and I feel that 3Mb are more than sufficient. Am I wrong?

Thanks for reading all of this,

Raymond
This is my subjective take on the camera. Set exposure bias to +2/3. Set W/B sunlight to clicks to red or warm. Use large center focus or spot focus. Use lens hood at all times except for flashand use mode 2 for image control.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:41 PM   #3

If you do not want 8 mp photos set the camera at 5mp....you are correct if you do not want all the detail possible 3mp is enough ....but you could have saved money and bought a cheaper camera.

Unlike Lovelife I believe in set the camera on program and take pictures.

There is no way to have the camera print the date on a photo...are you aware the date is included in all digital photos along with other info.....but if you want the date on the photo itsself here is a nice program to do that and batch the process. besides it does a lot of nice batch processes.

http://www.batchphoto.com/index.html?product-shortcut

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:34 PM   #4

I always shoot at either 5 or 8 mp because I often crop my photos and if you shoot 3 mp you don't have much to work with (you can always resize down but you are limited with upsizing). I tend to travel with a laptop and download photos every evening, burning a CD or DVD when I have enough. The laptop is great because if I've shot a panorama series, I can put it together while I still remember which ones they are.

My last camera had the date option and it was the first thing I turned off - I hate looking at a good photo with that obnoxious date burned across it, and it's very hard to get rid of. If I want to know when I took a photo (and I often do) I just look at the exif data, which the camera stores with the photo. It's great because it will give you all the information (like ISO, shutter speed, aperture etc.) that you might need if you are experimenting with different camera settings.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:36 AM   #5

WOW - didn't expect replies THAT quick - thanks to all.

I'll also have a look at the "batchphoto" that Genece suggested even though, maybe I should forget the "fancy" options (bad habits?) that I've been used to and start using the camera in a more "professional" way? (Head hung in shame here - for the moment, at least!).

Once again, thanks again to all of you.

Raymond (alias "the beginner" :lol
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:52 AM   #6

Hi there Mtngal,

Only showing even further my lack of photographic knowledge, I now have to ask how one looks at the "exif" information stored with each picture. Sorry if the question's that basic - maybe I should have called myself "theUKBeginner" instead of using my name here as an ID!!!

I'm using Windows XP - just in case you needed that information.

Once again, thanks for your time in replying to this (simple?) post of mine!

Regards,

Raymond
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:39 AM   #7

Hi all,

I've just resolved my own problem (that of displaying the EXIF information of a photo). For all other novices (like me), I've used a program called IRFANVIEW which is free and can be found at:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Oh well, so much to learn and so little time!!

Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:44 AM   #8

While Irfanview is a very good exif reader and easy to copy the exif there are programs more convenient

only one of many

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

If you use XP... a lot of the info is available with a rightclick > properties > summary > advanced
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:21 PM   #9

I recently went to Florida for a week with my FZ30. Shot everything at 8 MP resolution - like a previous poster I like to have the option to crop. Plus if I get a really nice shot I haveenough resolution for a larger printout. Itook most pictures using the Auto setting (still getting to know this gadget) and got pretty spectacular results. Between the zoom and higher resolution you can get really close to the action.

I found that using the eyepiece was easier than the back LCD plate for taking pictures. Must date back to my 35 mm heritage.

I connected the camera to a TV at night to review the pictures, and deleted the ones that weren't worthy.

Buy yourself acouple of1 GB cards - they'll hold about 250 8 MP shots apiece, which should be plenty for your trip.

I've included a shot of a blue heron on Long Boat Key that was eyeing our lunch.
Attached Images

zstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:52 AM   #10

Genece and Zstringer,

Thanks for your replies and the picture of the blue heron too. Did he manage to get to your lunch whilst you were busy taking pics of him?????

Having shooting - will post pics of my Orlando trip (planned in April) which should give me enough time to fathom out all the good bits of my Panasonic FZ30 before I leave.

Thanks again,

Raymond