Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:38 AM   #1

I have a FZ20. Im in Cleveland so getting a clear night to photograph the moon is a rare occasion. Its always overcast and if not the humidity is so high that it limits visibility.

A few days before the full moon I noticed that the conditions were good but noticed the other problem, the trees were in the way which I found it impossible to focus on the moon through the trees.

So I waited a little while and tried it off the deck. I was suprised that it focused so easily my fuji could have never focused. Anyway I wasnt happy with the pics they came out pixelyNOT noisy at full size not magnified at all. I just dont understand it its at full MP and quality set to max and ISO at 80. I used a tripod, removed the filter and used the 10sec timer.

The only thing I didotherwise is use auto bracketing. I had it in P mode becasueI was freezing and still not great at manual settings. The only thing I could figure is that the camera somehowmiss handles the image when auto bracketing maybe doing it in camera software instead of the correct way of bracketing exposuresby changing the settings. The reason this came to mind is that I took a pic of a large star of planet and as far as I can tell it isnt pixely and I didnt auto bracket that shot.

So heres the images I made sure not to crop the moon to make sure that its the actual size/diameter it was out of the camera. I used microsofts editor cant remember what its called but its not the full version. I just cut out part of the sky to get it small enough to post. The pixels are not from enlarging they are there at 100%.

Its also looksout of focus Im not using a converter and getting a sharp focus proved a failure. I know it can be done as there was a post of a FZ5 that had a sharper shot of the moon and not pixely so I should be able to get the shot as well eventually.

It appears image shack has made this image even softer which blurs the pixel problem. Any suggetions I can email it to someone original size if interested and trusting.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/244...resize11iq.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/312...resize11qz.jpg

[Image]
Make = Panasonic
Model = DMC-FZ20
Orientation = top/left
Software = Ver1.0
Date Time = 2006-01-12 22:30:31

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/1000"
F Number = F4
Exposure Program = Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings = 80
Exif Version = Version 2.2
Date Time Original = 2006-01-12 22:30:31
Date Time Digitized = 2006-01-12 22:30:31
Exposure Bias Value = -1EV
Max Aperture Value = F2.83
Metering Mode = Spot
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 72mm
Maker Note = 5724 Byte
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 2560
Exif Image Height = 1920
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image

[Thumbnail Info]
Orientation = top/left

[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 160 x 120

mnosbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:30 AM   #2

I do not have an answer but I downloaded the photo and opened it with focus magic and it says the photo is 3 pixels out of focus.

I am not sure why that would be as there is no exif info in the photo.

But with the FZ20 I seemed to need to have the OIS turned off. (at least not on mode 1.)

And I do not know what aperture you used, usually about 4.6 seemed to work for me.

Also if you used auto focus it should have been spot mode and on the edge of the moon.

I usually use manual focus and use the button to focus on a distant object then I leave that alone and just play with the exposure which you got pretty good.

You want to get a pretty quick shutter speed as the moon is moving pretty fast( well I guess its us that is moving but whatever its moving.)

There are a few Ideas and if you want to send me the photo maybe I can see something , maybe not......You really did pretty good its just a bit out of focus...

I also use burst mode and usually get 1 or 2 better than the others.

I would not even guess on that star photo but it seems to be way out of focus
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:08 PM   #3

have you tried RAW?* I sometimes find the in-camera compression makes a horrible mess.* then again, i have read that some people find the compression improves the image. was there any condensation on the lens?* warm camera, cold night?
Nicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:50 PM   #4

Mnosbor - Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt!

I've included a link to an older thread on the forum where some good advice from experienced regulars helped me take a fairly decent MMP (mandatory moon pic)

Good luck and always enjoy the journey! :|

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=48036&forum_id=23&highli ght=mandatory+moon+pic
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:52 PM   #5

Nicco wrote:
Quote:
have you tried RAW? I sometimes find the in-camera compression makes a horrible mess. then again, i have read that some people find the compression improves the image. was there any condensation on the lens? warm camera, cold night?
FZ20 does not have RAW - only JPG and TIFF.
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:18 PM   #6

Hi, I give you some data of my pics:

FZ20

Focus manual

A-Mode 1/1,6f/7,3

Iso 100

Correction -1,7 LW

12x Zoom, just a little, little, little bit sharpened

Tripod Manfrotto with 141 RC

and no OIS

Attached Images

kklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:20 PM   #7

and at full moon

greetings

Klaus

Attached Images

kklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:51 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the replys and great shots of the moon. I added exif data to the first post, dont know where it went the first time Ive used these progs before and it keptintact.

I didnt use IS.

My main concern is how pixely it looks if you click on the link under the picit goes directly to image shack and the pixels are more evident, I dont understand how it could be pixely if its not enlarged.

I need to see how tiff looks and using the software for it, Ive been sticking with what Im familiar with.

My other bit of confusion is how do you find infinite focus on a FZ20 I put it in manual and couldnt get the moon focused through the trees it seemed to be just barely past the trees but I just couldnt get it.

As far as focusing on somthing far away I didnt think to try it, do you focus and then switch it to manual when its focused half press on the shutter button. It will be a challenge were in the woods theres not much to work with.

Im just worried its somthing wrong whith the camera as far as the pixels showing so bad I would expect them if I enlarged but I didnt. I would like print it enlargedbut cant becasue its so bad.

Im writing all the settings down so that the next time Im ready.

Nicco

It was a cold night absolutely miserable 14f I didnt even think about condensation Ive seen it before on my old camera it was so bad you couldnt even see the image. I didnt notice anything like that this time, I was careful not to stay out more than a few minutes then bring it back in so it wouldnt condensate in the house. But didnt think about it when I was outside.

Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:13 PM   #9

mnosbor wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replys and great shots of the moon. I added exif data to the first post, dont know where it went the first time Ive used these progs before and it keptintact.

I didnt use IS.

My main concern is how pixely it looks if you click on the link under the picit goes directly to image shack and the pixels are more evident, I dont understand how it could be pixely if its not enlarged.

I need to see how tiff looks and using the software for it, Ive been sticking with what Im familiar with.
Quote:
If you are using the best JPEG setting, tiff will not help
Quote:

My other bit of confusion is how do you find infinite focus on a FZ20 I put it in manual and couldnt get the moon focused through the trees it seemed to be just barely past the trees but I just couldnt get it.

As far as focusing on somthing far away I didnt think to try it, do you focus and then switch it to manual when its focused half press on the shutter button. It will be a challenge were in the woods theres not much to work with.
Quote:
If you use the switch on the side of the lens...Zoom to 12X put the switch to manual point the camera to a distant object and push the button sown one time and getthe focus beep....now leave that alone and you are focused for the moon.
Quote:
If you change the zoom or the camera turns off you will need to do that again.

Im just worried its somthing wrong whith the camera as far as the pixels showing so bad I would expect them if I enlarged but I didnt. I would like print it enlargedbut cant becasue its so bad.

Im writing all the settings down so that the next time Im ready.

Nicco

It was a cold night absolutely miserable 14f I didnt even think about condensation Ive seen it before on my old camera it was so bad you couldnt even see the image. I didnt notice anything like that this time, I was careful not to stay out more than a few minutes then bring it back in so it wouldnt condensate in the house. But didnt think about it when I was outside.

Send me the original photo I do not think its the camera but the way you are handling the photo.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:56 PM   #10

Thanks genece Ive sent the pic.

Marcie