Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:10 PM   #1
Super Moderator

here is my first example from the lx1.. i also posted this in the critiques/techniques section.. but wanted to include it here for those looking for examples of this camera and for ppl in this forum to enjoy..

anyways, this was shot jpg.. i did not really do much in processing this shot, just added the frame, to show what it can do straight out of camera..

1/6 shutter speed was possible only with image stability (which works great).. and at ISO 200, i do not find the noise to be a problem really..

the build quality of this camera is SUPERB.. it is by far the best handling small digicam i have used to date.. it is solid, metal frame, with great control layout.. very smooth zoom with enough stops to feel seemless.. the menu is logical and easy to navigate, and the control joystick is great.. it is the first small digicam that i have found to feel like a true photographic tool..

feel free to ask me any questions you may have, either in this post or in a PM..

enjoy!

Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:30 AM   #2

Good shot. Just one comment - it seems that the camera is at a table - if this is the case IS is useless. I am amaized of the low noise at 200 ISO and 1/6s. Is the image croped or resized. If it is resized maybe the noise was disapeered because of this. Please send a 100% crop of the original image. LX1 looks as a VERY good camera!
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:13 AM   #3
Super Moderator

well, its actually a few inches above the table.. so the IS was working here.. it is not cropped, but of course it is resized.. a 100% crop does have noise, but who cares? right.. i can tell you printed at 8x14ish the noise is not viewable unless you get your nose close to the print.

iso 400, you do need some noise reduction software to make it work.. but even then a print looks good at normal viewing distances..

it all comes down to getting correct exposures and using good post-process techniques to make the most out of the higher iso shots..
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:25 AM   #4

Try Neat Image (if you did not use it allready)
http://www.neatimage.com/
I was amaized how good it is in noise removeal task!

sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:26 AM   #5
Super Moderator

that is a good program.. i usually shoot RAW, and i do my noisereduction in rawshooter premium during conversion.. seems to clean up a shade better than doing the noise reduction on the jpg or tiff.. either work though..