Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

I see a lot of shots with theEV set at all different settings, -1/3 or - 1 or -2/3. How do you determine what is the best setting for a shot?

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:06 PM   #2

No such thing as a "dumb" question. I'm a novice as far as camera settings go, but I think you use it to increase/decrease the brightness of your pictures rather than changing the aperture, shutter speed, etc., that you've set.
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:42 PM   #3

By setting EV +1 means that if the camera "thinks" that the sutter speed must be 1/100 it will take it for 1/50 (double the exposer time). In this way if you shot a bright object if will appear bright in tha image not gray. When you set the camera in manual mode Expousere compansation is disabled because in this mode the camera does not "think" - it only do what you say to it.

If I am wrong correct me plase!
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:01 PM   #4

I appericate the input from both of you. Is there a way to figure what you should set it on or is that just learned through experiance?

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:52 PM   #5

If your photos seem to be for the most part overexposed (too light) you would want to shoot with a minus exposure comp. and if the photos seem to be too dark you would shoot with a plus exposure.

I have a FZ10 that between the camera and the way I use it, a -2/3 is about right

I also have a FZ20 and a - 1/3 seems to be the ticket

And I use no comp at all with the FZ30.

I think it is a combination of each camera and user.

Experiment and see if you have a preference.

One thing to keep in mind you can usually get detail back from the shadows but once the highlights are blown they are gone forever.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:04 PM   #6

Yes, the camera will correct the exposition by adjusting either the shutter speed or the aperture, or both - I haven't actually stopped to check which ones in which situations, I guess it tries not to choose too low speeds to avoid movement. Perhaps it also changes ISO when it is set to auto, but I couldn't tell since I always set a fix range.

That way you tell the camera to over / underexpose the pic (relative to what it would normally choose as the right exposition).

About what you should set... I think I'm not the only member of the forum who sets its Lumix (mine is an FZ10, so perhaps that has changed a bit lately) to -2/3 EV; since the camera tends to overexpose a little. Other that that, there is experience, there is the viewfinder, ans there's the possibility of reviewing the pic you just took. If the pic is too important, you are not sure about the right settings or there's too much contrast in it; I'd suggest you to use the Auto-Bracketing feature, with at least +- 2/3 EV.

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote