Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:53 PM   #1

Hi.

I need your help deciding on what telephoto lens should i buy for my fz5. I'm looking for something around 100€ or 100USD.

what i want is mostly to take wild life pictures with it and "telemacro" (?), so image quality is important but zoom factor is too.

Right now, for the posts here on the forum i'm thinking on a olympus tcon-t17, but still not sure... maybe the 14b but the zoom advantage would not be that great...

have any of you tried these? i'd like to know if it can be used "on top" of the tele lens..

or maybe one of these: :-)

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...ckc-cvlx8.html

or

http://cgi.ebay.es/Minolta-Maxxum-7D...QQcmdZViewItem

or
http://cgi.ebay.es/Better-Than-Olymp...QQcmdZViewItem

PLEASE HELP... the options are too many! :-)

Finally, I live in Europe... can anyone tell me where to buy olympus or raynox here in europe (on line)?

thanks!

dantept is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:23 PM   #2

dantept wrote:
Quote:
Hi.

I need your help deciding on what telephoto lens should i buy for my fz5. I'm looking for something around 100€ or 100USD.

what i want is mostly to take wild life pictures with it and "telemacro" (?), so image quality is important but zoom factor is too.

Right now, for the posts here on the forum i'm thinking on a olympus tcon-t17, but still not sure... maybe the 14b but the zoomh advantage would not be that great...
Quote:
The Tcon 17 would be a good lens but it takes a little work to mount it on the FZ5 but there are threads floating around here that will help you ....let us know if you decide to go that way.
Quote:

have any of you tried these? i'd like to know if it can be used "on top" of the tele lens..

or maybe one of these: :-)

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...ckc-cvlx8.html
Quote:
Neither of those two will be very useful to you too much vignetting
Quote:
And that lens is not very good either for the FZ cameras.
Quote:

PLEASE HELP... the options are too many! :-)

Finally, I live in Europe... can anyone tell me where to buy olympus or raynox here in europe (on line)?

thanks!

If you feel a need to try something other than the Tcon17

here are a couple that will work pretty good.

First let me say I think the Tcon 14B is too heavy for the FZ5 adapter

Canon TL55

Minolta ACT-100

Sony VCL-DH1758

Then if you want to do macros you will need a closeup lens ....maybe a Nikon 4T

or Mcon 40 .

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:38 PM   #3

I'm very happy with my TCON-17. I bought it at www.jr.com for US$89.88, and that's the cheapest I could find them anywhere. On eBay, they go for about the same, if not more. JR was very professional, and I recieved the item within 3 days.

You can find much good advice here on how to modify your adaptor to accept the TCON. It' an easy sanding job, and my own experience is positive, a solid fit.

My only issue is that I have trouble holding the d*arn thing steady enough for a sharp shot. Must be all the coffee I drink.

I'll talk you through the modification if you need more help than what's already within the forum threads.

Ken
Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:55 AM   #4

Sorry i forgot to mension that i own already a Nikon 6T (62mm) and the 55 to 62mm step up ring.

Can i use this lens on top of the tcon??

thanks!
dantept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:52 AM   #5

No idea...anyone else?
Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:12 AM   #6

the only way to stack them would be to use a step-down ring in front of the 6T and mount the TCON-17 to that. there are no front threads on the TCON-17; if there were they'd be 77mm. i've heard of people trying to "make" threads for the front by jamming a filter with the glass removed into the front of the TCON-17 and gluing it in place, but i don't know how successful those attempts were.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:22 AM   #7

You use a closeup lens between the camera and the tele lens.

But that tele maro you mentioned I am not sure of...what I have been able to do with a # 2 closeup lens and a TCon is to focus at about 3 ft at 12X which about fills a frame with a Downy woodpecker.

I have not tried a stronger lens but its my guess with a 4diopter lens you would focus at1.5 ft but thats a guess.

And maybe 3 ft with a 6T and a Tcon17.

I had a wood pecker set at a window box last winter and thats when I came up with the above combo to get the best photo of it I could, but it quit sitting there so I quit experimenting.

Correction.. I just tried it with a Tcon17 and a 4 diopter closeup lens on the front and I can focus at about 12 inches at 12X zoom...so I guess it does as you wish.

In fact the focus point changes very little from 5X to 12X with the above combo.

Not very useful below 5X as there is too much vignetting
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:17 PM   #8

I'd go with the tcon17. See http://www.artmags.com/fz5/teles/for some others.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote