Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:20 PM   #1

I want to thank everyone here who answered my questions and put up with me for the past month. Your information has been so helpful while I've been trying to get used to my FZ30. However, since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my camera, I've decided that it's not the right one for me, and the 'for sale" ad went to the paperlast night. It's a nice camera, and still seems to be the best one in it's class, but I just can't get out of mine what I want to. You guys are great, and I'll continue to monitor this board.

Again, thanks for all of feedback and help you've given me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:48 PM   #2

What are you getting instead?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:01 PM   #3

I'm going to get a dSLR, probably the Pentax since I have so many nice manual Pentax lenses that will work on it.

It seems that there aren't any currently sold fixed lens cameras that are better than the FZ30, and it's just not so much fun to take photos that I'm not quite happy with.

Sony is fixing a number of cameras, and it sounds like mine falls into their recall. They've sent me a repair tag, so I'll see if I can get it fixed (it's still an outstanding camera and if working well, would make a great back-up to the dSLR.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:05 PM   #4

Some thing wrrong with camerra? Fz 30?:O
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:57 PM   #5

at first I thought this thread was just a joke, but I guess not...good luck with you new endeavor...
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6

I wondered if there was something wrong with my particular camera, but when I posted examples, everyone here seemed to think that it was working fine, and for a while I thought it was just me being picky - I like all of your photos muchbetter than mine. However, I kept looking at those comparison photos I posted of my old F717 compared to the FZ30 and the FZ30 just doesn't quite hold up to the Sony.

When I got looking around at other options, I quickly came to the conclusion that there isn't any other fixed lens camera that was going to be any better and really tried to be satisfied with the Panasonic, but it's not working - my photos aren't satisfying to me, and that's really what's important (I'm never going to be a pro photographer).

So I guess the only way I'm going to be satisfied is to overcome my very strong dislike of dragging extra junk around and always having the wrong lens on the camera etc. and buy a dSLR. The Pextax will be less money up front than any other dSLR or an R1 with teleconverter because I have some really nice 25 year old Pentax lenses (kept for sentimental reasons when I coverted to digital, now I'm glad I did).

Don't get the idea that I think the FZ30 is terrible - it isn't, it's a ncie camera. I have loved the wildlife photos and spiders posted there (though many of them were taken by other Pana cameras). I just can't get what I want out of it, and I'm really saddened by it. So that's why the camera is now for sale.

And I really do appreciate all of you folks here - you're just a great bunch of people, and it's made it much harder to realize that this might not be the right camera for me.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:29 PM   #7

Enjoying photography is what its all about so if your not happy then buying another camera is best option. Although your post is vague as anything.

What are you trying to photograph that the FZ30 cant do? In what situation is the F717 better?

Indoornatural light or indoor fast moving situations - yes the Panny Zooms are terrible for this.

Outdoor photography - Id say the Panny Zooms excel. Obviously they have limitations in terms of macro and/or sports photography but even in this area they are very good and getting the equivalent glass in dSLR terms would cost alot.

Nighttime photography - Buy a tripod.

Wide angle panoramas - Obviously this isnt the camera for that.

Like always, buy a camera for what you need it for, then you should be very happy.
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:12 PM   #8

The Sony F717 captures more detail and has a better dynamic range than my Panasonic. It's noticable with flower photos, though the first time I noticed it was looking at 2 photos of a distant mountainside. The Sony's photo gave you the feel that there were trees and dirt on that distant slope, where the Panasonic's hillside was more like a green blanket (that's way too strong - it just didn't have the same variation of color so some detail was missing. Then I took both cameras to the Botanical Gardens, and took a bunch of photos - the 100% crops, no pp, of the two are at http://photobucket.com/albums/c238/m...c%20vs%20Sony/if you are interested. The Panasonic isn't quite as good, and it was bothering me. Almost all of the FZ30's photos looked flat to me, and it didn't seem to matter what I did (raw vs. jpg, or what type of alterations I tried to do in either photoshop and ACR). About the best photos I took with the Panasonic was the squirrel that I posted, and a couple of sunsets (the best one I didn't post).

I just took a couple of photos with the Pentax I bought today (and the kit lens) and my initial reaction is that they are more what I want, more dynamic range and more detail. So I think I've made the right decision with going to a dSLR.

Roy - too bad I didn't make this decision a couple of weeks ago, I could have saved you some money! I hope you enjoy your camera.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:56 PM   #9

mtngal...no harm, no foul. I bought the FZ30 as a back-up to my dRebel of which i have 3 Canon lenses for, the main go to lens is a Canon 28-135mm with IS and it's great! So I couldn't critisize or try to disuade you from making the decision.

i'm 56yrs old and have learned that everything in life is based on trade off's...

the FZ30 is a top end P&S that i'm not afraid to just leave on my desk or stick in a drawer for the times i don't want to drag out my camera backpack and get the primary camera out for.

in closing, just a short anectode...in the mid 70's me and a buddy got into 35mm film photography and i bought a Pentax, can't recall the model, but it was the model that came out right after the Spotmatic (the good old match-needle days) and since i was going to an adult education school taking something like 3 photog course a week, i had just spent a weekend at the LA County Fair and brought in several hand held (i was steady then) slides to show my photo instructor...he looked at one (taken inside in a home decor exhibit) and said i couldn't have taken that photo with the model of camera i had (essentially calling me a liar), it left me 2 choices...end up arguing with him on an on-going basis , or drop the course (which i was taking as a no credit course to start with), so i dropped out...here's the bottomline for me relaying this anecdote, use a camera that you feel comfortable with and are confident in using and the rest will take care of its self...

enjoy the new Pentax and take care...

Ray

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:12 PM   #10

Mtngal

Thanks for the heads up on the FZ30 and if you feel thd FZ30 is not the right camera for you than that is just fine - you have to feel comfortable and happy with it and if your not than the right thing to do is move on. I would however, hold off on a DSLR for a wee a while at least until PMS 2006 in feb, because it looks as if Pana's DSLR could be something quiet special, esp if the rumours on the Leica forum turn out to be true (one of the guys there was told by a Leica rep very recently that a Digilux 3/LC1+ 4/3 based replacment was due very soon) and with the following specs - basically that the cam will be the slightly smaller than the LC1/Digilux 2, have a very good EVF; introduced with 3 leica designed lenses 28,50 and 90 - 200 mm zoom, 8MP, 4/3 CMOS sensor (as the Oly E330), Layout same as the LC1 - manual zoom, aperture and focus ring + shutter speed dial, SD cards. No info on the whether the IS will be in body or in the lenses - in body would be much better.

In the mean time enjoy takign pics with the Sony once its repaired.

Cheers

HArjTT

:O

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to get a dSLR, probably the Pentax since I have so many nice manual Pentax lenses that will work on it.

It seems that there aren't any currently sold fixed lens cameras that are better than the FZ30, and it's just not so much fun to take photos that I'm not quite happy with.

Sony is fixing a number of cameras, and it sounds like mine falls into their recall. They've sent me a repair tag, so I'll see if I can get it fixed (it's still an outstanding camera and if working well, would make a great back-up to the dSLR.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote