Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

I just received my TCON 17 to complement (and complete) my set of lenses for my FZ30. I got the Raynox DCR-6600 (wide-angle) , the Raynox DCR-250 (super-macro), Nikon 4T (macro), UV and polarizing filters, and now the TCON 17. If I imagined what my friend who just got his Minolta 5D would have to spend the get the same versatility, it made me fall in love with my FZ30 all over again. Here is my full focal range from widest angle with the DCR-6600 to full zoom with the TCON 17, taken right in front of my house. I could not ask for more. I love how sharp the TCON 17 is, the Raynox is a little soft on the edges, but I can live with that.

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:28 PM   #2

Tele with TCON 17 (714 mm equivalent)

Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:34 PM   #3

I agree, theres great value for money for very decent shots using the Panny setups.

Dont kid yourself though, dSLRS with equivalent lenses are much much better. In fact a 18-200mm lense on any dSLR would probably do most, and youd get much better results.

Still look at my avatar and see which option I chose
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:36 PM   #4

I know, I will probably make the move to DSLR next year, but I'll keep my FZ30 for mobility reasons.

Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:38 PM   #5

audioedge, what does your Hoya 55 mm lens do, or is it just an adapter?
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:49 PM   #6

oh, here is another nice way to extend wideangle capabilities. Just stictched this together from 7 images using the free program from autostitch.net.

Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:50 PM   #7

its just an adapter that fits nice and tight. It was a ebay cheapo so I just smashed the glass out. Still smashing glass out of lenses isnt a nice feeling

I agree, I will probably move to dSLR next year too (maybe end of this year), but only for mids/lower end of the focal range. Cant say I will ever give up my FZ5

I might have to buy a Fuji F10 for low light indoor shots in the mean time, although am keeping an eye on the new Panny LZ3 and its higher ISO features.
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:57 PM   #8

I also have a Fuji F11 for higher ISO capabilities and to carry in my pocket. It works great.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:58 PM   #9
Super Moderator

congrats on your setup rduve, i think you will be quite happy with that setup.. and even when you go dslr, you will still use your fz-30 setup alot as well..

sometimes itjust isnt convenient or even possible to bring along a hefty dslr kit.. and thats when you will lovethe ability to throw your fz-30 and a converter or two in a backpack.. for example, ihave a conference this weekin california, i can't possibly bring my laptop/presentation material, and all i need plus my big dslr kit.. so i am bringing my lx1.. and i feelvery confident that i will get the shots i want with it as longas i keep in mind the limitations..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:16 PM   #10

IMHO

There are lots of great photos posted on the DSLR forums as there are on the Panny forums.

There are also many DSLRshots that are no where near as good as some FZ30 shots...

I have been watching closely and will continue to do so, but owning a DSLR does not guarantee good photos.

It is rather interesting that some of the folks that posted great FZ photos also post great DSLR photos...and the ones that did not do well with the FZ's do not seem to do well with the DSLR's either.

No doubt a good photographer will do better with a DSLR but that does not mean we all will.....or even ifI have a use for a near noiseless photo.

Just my 2 cents.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote