Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:47 PM   #1

As I understand it, the depth of field on a camera is a function of its focal length and the aperture. A greater focal length will result in a decreased depth of field, as will a larger aperature.

I have read many times before that a big disadvantage of digital cameras is that you cannot get that "blurred background" effect due to the large depth of field. My guess is that this large depth of field in digicams is caused by the small focal lengths that are used with the small sensors.

The FZ cameras, however, have a rather long focal length potential, with the 12x zoom and all (6mm -72mm-ish). In theory, if zoomed in a bit at F2.8, we could get focal lengths similar to a larger camera.

Is this really possible? Has anyone here been able to get that blurred background look with the FZ cameras (without PP)?

Is the DOF visible in the EVF or LCD?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:54 PM   #2

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone here been able to get that blurred background look with the FZ cameras (without PP)?

Is the DOF visible in the EVF or LCD?
The further the backgound from the subject the greater the blurring. That's depth of field in action. If you can't back away from your subject to frame properly athigher zooms then your dof will be greater withless bg blurring (unless your backgound is way back). You can see this in the evf/lcd.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:49 PM   #3

One can look at the greater DoF of most digicams as an advantage or disadvantage. I think it is actually an upside rather than downside to have improved depth of field. However, here is just one of many shots I took with the blurred background you were asking for. While the DoF is greater in the FZ's than in DSLR's it is not unlimited.

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:02 PM   #4

rduve's shot is a good example. It was taken at about 8x zoomand he was able to get back far enough from the subject - like up on a porch or deck - and use the zoom to good effect. If he had not been able to put that distance between the camera and subject, he would have had to back off on zoom to get the boy framed like this. Less zoom would have resulted in greater dof and less blurring of the grass behind the youngster.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:04 PM   #5

This photo is about 10 ft to the bird and 15 ft from the birdto the tree.

If the distance from the bird to the tree was twice as far as from the camera to the bird the background would be a total blur.

This was 12X zoom

PS had nothing to do with the blur..straight from the camera.
Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:22 PM   #6

love that pic genece, looks like its been heavily pp'd (i know it hasnt)
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:43 PM   #7

Top shot.

You could not ask for a better combination of subject and background colour.
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:47 AM   #8

here's another example... the first picwas shot at 12x, f2.8, about 10 feet from the flower. the background was about 6-8 feet behind it. as you can see, the background is heavily blurred. the second shot was focused on about the second fence post - also about ten feet away -and taken at about 4x at the same aperture,f2.8, which should produce a pretty shallow DOF, but,as you can see, the background remains reasonably clear for a long way. obviously, zoom has a great deal to do with how clear the background is at any given aperture...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:23 AM   #9

Great shots, Squirl.I love the fence especially. It's a funny argument really. A shallow depth of field is really a limitation and an optical dilemma more than a great feature of the DSLR's. However, if needed, it can be easily created with our FZ's as has been very well demonstrated here.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:25 AM   #10

Thanks for the examples guys! That certainly confirms my suspicions. These cameras seem to be extremely flexible if you know how to use them.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote