Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:55 PM   #1

Combining (stacking) teleconverters and macro close-up lensesincreases the magnification or increases the focus distance depending on which lens is first in the stacking order. With the tele first (ie, closest to the camera lens), the magnification is increased and focus distance is unchanged (9" here). With the close-up lens first, the focus distance is increased (to 17" here) and magnification is reduced (mostlydue tobeing further from the subject).

FZ5 at 12x w/ 55mm minolta #2 +4 diopter close-uplens from 9" away

FZ5 w/ minolta act-100 1.5x teleconverter + minolta#2 from 9" The softness is due to the much smaller diameter close-up lens cutting off light to the front optic of the tele lens.A larger diameter close-up lens would decrease the amount of vignetting.

FZ5 w/ minolta#2 + minolta act-100 from 17"

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2

Thats interesting I just tried that both ways yesterday and I was checking the focus distance and did not notice the magnification difference....I will try that again....as the only time I tried that I was trying to get the largest image possible at about 3 ft as that was where I had to be to get a photo.

I had the CU lens between the camera and the tele lens but it seems I should have done it the other way?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:41 PM   #3

i haven't tried that yet, mainly because my TCON-14B is so big and heavy and i prefer to mount it directly on my adapter. and of course, there'd be no way to mount my Nikon 6T on the front of the TCON... the threads are 86mm!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:54 PM   #4

Squirl - The minolta act100 is similar in size and weight to the tcon14b. Same 86mm front threads. The rear pupil diameter is a bit smaller on the act100; 43mm vs 46mm. The rear thread is 49mm on the act100. The tcon14b is 62mm? I used three step rings to get from 86mm to 55mm for the minolta close-up threads; 86-77, 77-58, 58-55. With the 62mm nikon 6t you could get by with 2 step rings; 86-77 and 77-62. The larger diameter 6t shouild give youless vignetting.

Gene - I was surprised to see the focus distance stay the same with the close-up mounted on the front of the tele - same as without tele. Can you confirm that with your setup?

Here is the minolta act100 tele (86mm front threads) with threestep rings in place to accept the 55mm minolta #2 close-up lens.

The 77-58mm step ring is screwed in backwards or from the underside to cut down on vignetting. The 58mm threads go all the way through, so you can do that. I guess you would do the same thing with the 77-62mm ring.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:04 PM   #5

No Fred I did not express that correctly, it does change, it focusesabout 15" on front of the TCon 17 and about 3 ft between the camera and the lens.

The 3 ft was the only thing I was interested in, as that was the distance of the shot.

And those distancesare just a guess as I did not measure it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:40 PM   #6

I like the outcomes of the stacking tests,
and i would love to see this applyed to a different test subject..
a human face, near the eye..
Waltonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:08 AM   #7

G'day everyone, doing this little excersise, ( I have a FZ 20 ) why not put the close_up lens then the Tcon..........I have the Tcon17 and a 6T nikon.........what does the different way around do?

Sorry people I somehow missed your first explaination.........now I'll go figure it out

Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:19 AM   #8

I have shot with it both ways and did not norice any big difference. I usually use the 6t with the 14B stacked on it. I also tried it with the B-300 but it did not seem as sharp as with the 14B.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote