Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:02 PM   #1

I did a search and read many of the posts, but no really said who was best. I read this link: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/and the ones I thought would be best were not. I kinda like the Olympus WCON-08B. What do you think?Can anybody point me into the right direction? I would like to order a wide angle lens within the next couple of days, so ANY help you guys can give would be great...

Thanks.....
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:12 PM   #2

The wcon08 works fine. It just isn't wide enough to bother with IMO. CK didn't include the 55mm Schneider .7x and that may be the best for the fz30. $102.50 here. The Raynox hd6600-55 .66x is another; $100 here.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply fmoore......I'll check into the Schneider lens. Do you use this lens? If not, have you seen pictures using this lens?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:28 PM   #4

Why would you say the Schneider may be the best? Just curious
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:39 PM   #5

Cwood wrote:
Quote:
Why would you say the Schneider may be the best? Just curious
I haven't seen a definitve comparison between the Schneider and the Raynox. I was hoping CK would do it but that hasn't happended. From the few samples we have, the HD6600 seems to be soft on the edges with the FZ30. See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16964041 I seem to recall a post showing the Schneider clean to the edges with the FZ30 but I can't come up with it. If you would be so kind as to get the Schneider and report your findings along with samples, we would be most appreciative.

Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:12 PM   #6

Cwood and Fred,

The post on the Schneider is here --> http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...angle+0.7+lens

It starts out with the wcon-8 and then goes to the Schneider. The samples are with an FZ5 but I would think results would be similar with the 30.

Enjoy,:-)

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:14 PM   #7

Thanks.....
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:29 PM   #8

This is the dilemma I was in, which WA lens to go with. It seems Olympus, Raynox and now the Schneider lens are the choices. I see some of the blurring with the Raynox, which is too bad because it was the front runner up until now.

Now I have to see which ones are available in Canada. And to see if you can mount a cir-pol filter on the end of any of them, since I will probably be picking one of those up, instead of a UV one (another debate I know!)
polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:28 AM   #9

Brett - Thanks for the link. Just to clarify: The Schneider .7x was on the FZ5 at that post and it works very well indeed. I can't recall seeing samples of it used on the fz30. The raynox 6600 also works great on the fz5 but appears to be a little soft on the edges with the fz30, which causes one to wonder how the Schneider will do on the fz30.

For the record: The Olympus wcon07 .7x has been shown to have a soft spot in the very center with the fz30. I does appear to do okay with the fz5.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:38 PM   #10

Cwood,

Before you take fmoore's pronouncement on WCON-08 as "gospel", I suggest you check out my thread where I tested it on my new FZ30.:idea:

Go here to see the comparisons:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I did not move in my stance with the WCON-08 but I got about one more bridge section in width with it! That = 50% wider in my layman's eyes! Grins...

I LOVE the WCON-08 on my FZ30. At full wide even with 55mm UV filter + 55-62 stepup ring I have no vignette.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote