Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:26 PM   #1

i just picked up the camera

i love it so far

i am looking for a tutor to help me learn everything about the camera

i am basically a beginner using a pentax optio s4i in the past

i would be willing to pay $25 / hour for weekly lessons

i am in manhattan (upper east side)

thanks
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:46 PM   #2

Send me an email and we can discuss it.[email protected] maybe telephone would be better.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:37 PM   #3

Egad. Give the brother a break...man. (I used to be a hippy...heh heh.) Look, this camera is a well made , easy/peasy piece o' cake. Truly. Just set it to "P" in the begining while you read the manual a bit, shooting all the while of course. Unload your pics, do a little reverse engineering kinda thinking to see what you did right/wrong. Then start experimenting with shutter priority, and aperture...drift into shutter speeds. mixem all up, take a few notes...compare your shots to what you see here. Post some of your shots and start asking questions. Rinse and repeat as necessary! Your done!

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:57 PM   #4

KD, once a Hippy, always a Hippy, we just decided to cut our hair (or we lost it...lol)...the trouble with the X-Generation is they have more $$$ than time to figure things out themselves...heck, most School Districts have Adult Photo Courses that you can takeon ano credit basis, but you'll sure learn to use your Camera...

peace;

Ray
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5

lgbsaab,

Welcome to the forum

I would be happy to help you sans payment although:

1. I am an FZ30 newbie also (and needed help to find the other scroll knob LOL).

2. I live over a thousand files from you.

Since you are in Manhattan, you may want to inquire at a reputable camera store re your FZ30 and how best to use it. After some experience with it, I believe you will begin to use it "intuitively" not just from guidelines in the manual. :-)

FYI, I found it very helpful to download and print the pdf file of the actual manual and put it in a 3 ring binder. MUch easier to read

Perhaps another forum member can post the link forthe pdfin this thread. I cannot find it any longer.

Also, a snide cheap shot directed a newcomer to our forumwas not necessarynorwas itconducive to team building here.

This is the cheap shot:

"the trouble with the X-Generation is they have more $$$ than time to figure things out themselves"

None of us know, Mr./Ms. lgbsaab.

Just a suggestion...be nice.:idea:

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:31 PM   #6

digcamfan...i certainly apologize if you feel my comment was 'a snide cheap shot' and/or out of place, perhaps my attempt @ humor was as poor as yours...

<< I would be happy to help you sans payment although:

1. I am an FZ30 newbie also (and needed help to find the other scroll knob LOL).

2. I live over a thousand files from you.>>

i may be a newcomer to a Forum where you carry over 3K posts to my paltry <40 , but i think you are out of line for thinking you can chastise me as we are entitled to what we consider our own form of humor...also chronologically i would place our age as near the same...

i also believe i am a team player as i have been connected to a PC Forum since March of 2001 and have over 6500 posts to my credit and know what it takes to keep things homogeneous, i believe your comments in reference to me were contrary to what you preach.

As it was written, the person who posted before me, had his own form of humor on the topic, but yet you didn't make a comment about him, could it be because he has over 1300 posts? I believe you're just like the playground bully, and look down your nose at anyone with a small amount of posts who doesn't post in the style your satified with.

Now what you'll probably do is get in touch with one of the Mods and report that there's a malcontent newbie and I'll be admonished or banned, when actually, you should be reprimanded due to the fact that you could have sent me a PM stating what you consider to be my error in Forum etiquette, but chose to do it on the open Forum.

my .02

Ray

Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:42 PM   #7

Roy123,

The number of posts does not make the man or woman in this forum.

What counts in this forum member's mind, imho, is kindness, constructive feedback and a willingness to learn from others' expertise, "vision" and "eye" for a photo.

It is also important, I believe, to give constructive feedback on others' photos.

What you wrote was a cheap shot.

You offered an apology to me (which was not needed but was appreciated) but then you followed it up with another cheap shot:

perhaps my attempt @ humor was as poor as yours...

Roy123, every day you have on this planet, you have an opportunity:

This is your opportunity (from the words of my late grandmother):

"Everyone brings joy to a room...some by their entrance, some by their exit".

A room is can be considered to be anywhere you are and whatever you bring to it.

Here our "room" is a metaphorical one.

We can welcome the new folks to the forum or we can demean their posts.

I choose to welcome them, constructively.

With all due respect, I suggest you ask this question of yourself:

"How do I bring joy to a room...by my entrance or by my exit?"

Your answer to this question is not for this forum. It is between you and your "higher power" if you believe in one.

In the unstable world in which we live today where tomorrow may never arrive for millions, one thing becomes even more important. That one thing is kindness...to friends, family and those you do not know.

Should we ever met, roy123, I would bear you no ill will. I would simply ask you in an animated way and with a smile...

May I see your photos?

Because, like books in a bookcase, a photographer's subjects can be a reflection of the person.

For instance, my home is filled with photos of my family members yet I post none of these here on this forum because many of family members are minors. There are predators out there so none are posted in these open forums. Also, I am not their parent. It is part of my code of conduct to not post these photos though I believe some are truly excellent. One of my photographs was used as a Christmas card by family members.

Also, if I were to view your photos, I would ask:

What were your goals when you took this photo?

What did you "see" before you pressed the shutter?

There ya go, roy123.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8

listen - what is up with all these comments?

i am doing multiple ways to learn the art of photography with my FZ30- that includes reading the manual, shooting every minute i can get, researching online, buying a book and reading magazines. whenever i research or try to learn something new, i use as many resources as i can.

if someone has the experience with the camera and a solid foundation of the fundamentals ofdigital photography,then i would be dumb not to work with them

that's all.

Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:59 PM   #9

lgbsaab...i apologise to you for interjecting in your thread for my objective is basically what yours is, to learn to use the FZ30 to the best of it's ability...

sorry for my comment lgbsaab...

Ray
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:31 PM   #10

ray - no apology necessary, just enjoy the camera and hopefully i will as well!

best,