Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:27 PM   #1

Posted this for squirl, too as he's in lockdown by rain and can't get out clickin. No sunshine. What I now know is that tho I did have lots of sun, just as I got the camera out, tyhe chinook sky hazed over. I need all the brilliant sunshine I can get for a low ISO, high speed shutter. This shows quite a blur as he launches, and | could not get any faster shutter in this light. T O D A y...we have brilliant blue sky as far the eye can see. Hope to prove my theory with another one that's closer to being on the money, and as soon as I hit send, I'm off in a cloud of small rocks and duck poop to go get the shot. Best regards...

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:53 PM   #2

Don't be afraid to take it up to iso200. In good light (and this doesn't lookthat bad) iso200 is pretty clean. Run it through Neat Image if need be.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:29 PM   #3

nice colors, Ken, even if 1/500 wasn't quite fast enough. i'm surprised that you couldn't get any faster than that, though; the light doesn't look that bad! here's a shoti got last summer out at the ocean, taken insimilar lighting conditions. itwas a bit after6 PM, the fog had just lifted, and i managed to get into some hazy,filtered sun when i shot these two from about 50m away. taken at 12x zoom with TCON-14B, f2.8, 1/1000 @ ISO 100. even at 1/1000, there's still some blurring of the wingtip feathers, but not too bad... could that extra stop at the long end in the FZ20 make that much difference? :O

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:11 AM   #4

I'm no expert, so I can't say for sure, but the wing speed is the main factor I T H I N k. I know when these ducks first begin their launch sequence their wings are really smoking. I have pictures of them flying by at high speed (or really moving anyway) and I have stopped the wingbeat dead cold at 1/500. But for some reason the shot of them flying over water isn't as dramatic IMO as when they do all that splashing and scrambling with the first few beats to get them clear of the water. Harder to get that shot, but I've almost got them figured out. We are slated for more sun over the next couple of days and so I think there's a good chance I'll have more to post, and hopefully I'll get that action right on the money. The bright sun really makes the color saturation jump. Maybe with the wings absolutely stopped it might just be unimpressive...could be the blur is what adds to the appeal. Thanks for the comments, Squirl, I hope you guys, and Vancouver too get a break from the rain. My friends down that way are sounding glum, and have seen in the weather news that we in these parts have won the weather lottery so far this winter. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:17 AM   #5

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Don't be afraid to take it up to iso200. In good light (and this doesn't lookthat bad) iso200 is pretty clean. Run it through Neat Image if need be.
I gave the ISO some thought, but never really tried to up it. I should have tho, hindsight being 20/20. Now that you suggest it, it seems a no brainer that with all the sun and the good chances I've had I would have tried at least. One more stab at it, and I'll do the ISO experiment too. I'll post the results. Thanks...

Kd
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:19 AM   #6

yeah, ducks really haul... i think mallards are actually the fastest bird there is in level flight... they can top 60mph. those wings really move! i don't even TRY to catch those babies in flight... if you can freeze them in mid-air, you're doing darn well!!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:35 AM   #7

Mallards are really fast, but I think I read in an old Boys LIfe magazine when I was in scouts that the Redhead is the fastest duck. They're built different than mallards. Mallards are "dabbling" ducks, which means that they do not dive completely under the water when they feed. They just put their head down and turn bottoms up to feed. As you can see from the picture, the mallards spring right out of the water. This is what all dabbling ducks do. Birds like the redhead and canvasback are "diving" ducks. They completely submerge when they feed, and when they take off, they must run across the water for some distance before they can become airborne.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:06 PM   #8

Propwash, Just happened to have a photo to illustrate your statement. Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:23 PM   #9

Nice one, Jim...I love all the color on these birds. In bright sunshine they photograph spectacularly, which makes them one of my favorite targets.

Kd
Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:04 PM   #10

Ken, They are colorful, now I have to try my luck at getting one taking off!
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote