Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:49 PM   #1

Since WCON-08B has a rear thread size of 62mm, a 55-62mm step-up ringwill beneeded. Olympus also has a WCON 08 with 55mm thread. Which would be better to get? The one that needs a step-up ring or one that does not? I found this onCK's digital camera page: The bottom paragraph in bold is what I have the question on.

Thanks.....

Olympus WCON-08B 0.8X
The Olympus WCON-08B 0.8X is a large and heavy wide angle converter lens. It brings FZ-30's focal length down to 28mm = 35×0.8. Since WCON-08B has a rear thread size of 62mm and a front thread size of 105mm, a 55-62mm step-up ring is needed. When purchasing step rings for wide angle converters, always buy a thin one. Otherwise, slight vignetting may occur in the corner areas. The left image below shows the lens and the right one has a WCON-08B on a FZ-30 with the help of a 55-62mm step-up ring. As you can see from the right image below, the WCON-08B is a massive piece of glass. While Olympus has a number of different versions of WCON-08 (e.g., 08C, 08D and 08E), this WCON-08B is the one for the FZ-30. Olympus also has a WCON 08 with 55mm thread. However, I believe it is an older version and not easily available. Additionally, it could be more expensive than the WCON-08B mentioned here.
Some claimed the WCON 08 and WCON-08B being the same lens in different packaging. I personally have some doubt about this because the rear glass element diameter of the WCON-08B is already 55mm. Consequently, the WCON 08 with a 55mm thread must have a smaller diameter rear glass element.

Would you recommend the 08B or just the 08 model if it can be found?

Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:48 PM   #2

Cwood,

I just got my wcon08, 55mm off the olympus auctions @ ebay. It took about six tries on different ones they offered by finally got my lens for under $30. I think it works great! I don't think you will do any better for even twice the price. If you need more then a .8 WA then you will have to spend more for the schneider or the Raynox. They would be your next most likely ones to look at each running about $100.

Hope that helps,

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:13 AM   #3

Cwood wrote:
Quote:
Since WCON-08B has a rear thread size of 62mm, a 55-62mm step-up ringwill beneeded. Olympus also has a WCON 08 with 55mm thread. Which would be better to get? The one that needs a step-up ring or one that does not? I found this onCK's digital camera page: The bottom paragraph in bold is what I have the question on.

Thanks.....

Olympus WCON-08B 0.8X
The Olympus WCON-08B 0.8X is a large and heavy wide angle converter lens. It brings FZ-30's focal length down to 28mm = 35×0.8. Since WCON-08B has a rear thread size of 62mm and a front thread size of 105mm, a 55-62mm step-up ring is needed. When purchasing step rings for wide angle converters, always buy a thin one. Otherwise, slight vignetting may occur in the corner areas. The left image below shows the lens and the right one has a WCON-08B on a FZ-30 with the help of a 55-62mm step-up ring. As you can see from the right image below, the WCON-08B is a massive piece of glass. While Olympus has a number of different versions of WCON-08 (e.g., 08C, 08D and 08E), this WCON-08B is the one for the FZ-30. Olympus also has a WCON 08 with 55mm thread. However, I believe it is an older version and not easily available. Additionally, it could be more expensive than the WCON-08B mentioned here.
Some claimed the WCON 08 and WCON-08B being the same lens in different packaging. I personally have some doubt about this because the rear glass element diameter of the WCON-08B is already 55mm. Consequently, the WCON 08 with a 55mm thread must have a smaller diameter rear glass element.

Would you recommend the 08B or just the 08 model if it can be found?

For some unknown reason WCON08E 55mm mount .8X WA are being dumped on the market. I saw one on eBay for $59.00 the lens use to sell at a premium of $160.00+. One point the lens is in a plastic frame and you have to be careful with the threads. The WCON08B 62mm mount is in a metal frame. I have a special 55-62mm thin ring and I see no difference in image quality. The B has filter threads the E does not.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:11 AM   #4

So, besides using the plastic housing on the 55mm 08. The quality "should" be the same between the 08 and the 08b..correct? The 08 is half the price of the 08b which makes you wonder a bit. I would much rather have the metal housing, but attwice the cost, is it woth it??

Thanks for your reply guys.......
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:25 AM   #5

Cwood wrote:
Quote:
So, besides using the plastic housing on the 55mm 08. The quality "should" be the same between the 08 and the 08b..correct? The 08 is half the price of the 08b which makes you wonder a bit. I would much rather have the metal housing, but attwice the cost, is it woth it??

The picture quality is exactly the same. Something funny is going on the plastic WCON08E sold for more money then the 08B..hmm maybe it did not sell for more money.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:17 AM   #6

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Cwood wrote:
Quote:

The picture quality is exactly the same. Something funny is going on the plastic WCON08E sold for more money then the 08B..hmm maybe it did not sell for more money.
Funny or not, seems to me to be a great lens at a great price. If 0.8 is wide enough, just get one while you can.:-)
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote