Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:59 PM   #31

matt_xyz wrote:
Quote:
Videosilva,

Just been looking back at your old posts (I see you've been causing a few arguments) and can see whatyou mean about the seemingly softfocus of the Canon. Images with the FZ30 are definitely much sharper. Since you seem to be quite demanding of your shots, you should prepare yourself for the possibility that the FZ30 shots are noisier. This may be the trade-off.You should now have plenty of information to decide whether to stick with the Canon, go with the FZ30 or to choose a different camera entirely.

Hope you find the right camera.
Quote:
Thank god its not only me the see the slighty out of focus shots. What people are not understanding is that the S2 owners are taking MULTIPLE pictures and the one they show are the best they have.
Quote:
I don't know if I'mdemanding Ifyou call wanting a camera thatproduces infocus pictures demanding then....... Yes I'm demanding.

videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:02 PM   #32

dinoddc wrote:
Quote:
I had a canon s1 for more than a year, then i got a canon S2 and after2 month i changed for a panasonic fz30, the s2 was worst tha the s1, i hate " THE FOG EFFEC " and the only camera with 12x IS better than the s2 was thw fz30, the fz30 is a super camera, but the noise is a problem in a low light condition, if i change i'll go for and dsrl!!!!
Quote:
How bad is this noise problem ? Can you take a decent indoor picture with flash or nominal lighting ? Can you shoot a night scene of city lights ?
Quote:
Why do they not measure cameras in lux so we know the low light capabilites ?
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:24 PM   #33

I actually cannot try the cameras out for myself right now as I do not yet have my FZ30 and my friends is not available to me due to her work schedule. My main point (from my experience with her) is that sometimes people just expect to be able to pick up a camera and create GREAT images. She got her S2 a few weeks ago after ditching her Fuji which was a great camera but she couldn't get comfortable with. How did I know the Fuji was a great camera? It was an upgrade to the one I'd used for a year and loved - and I had no trouble with it at all.

If you go to dpchallenge, however, (they host a weekly photo challenge) you can look through their menus to find equipment and click through to whatever camera you wish - and you can then see pictures taken by members with that camera that were entered in various challenges. There are many more members who use FZ30, but there are probably 12 images anyway that were taken with the Canon S2 IS.

Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:07 PM   #34

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
How bad is this noise problem ? Can you take a decent indoor picture with flash or nominal lighting ? Can you shoot a night scene of city lights ?

Noise is not really an issue when you use a flash, especially a powerful external one. But even the built-in flash is quite powerful.Here is a pic of my sons indoors with flash. The only bad spot for the FZ30 is when you want to take pics in low light without a flash at higher ISO. It is not a good camera for indoor sports. Other than that noise has never been an issue for me. Check out my galleries at http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries. Most of my recent shots were taken with the FZ30. Many of my family indoor with flash.

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:15 PM   #35

There is NOTHING wrong with that picture from taking a quick look. Its in focus.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:22 PM   #36

Thanks. I have had no problems with the FZ30's focusing, nor any "grey hazing" issues.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:08 AM   #37

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Is the video from the Pany FZ30 any good ? How does it compare to the Canon S2 IS video ?
I really don't understand why you're going to buy a still camera butonly compare the video functions.
Kasanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:09 PM   #38

Kasanova wrote:
Quote:
videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Is the video from the Pany FZ30 any good ? How does it compare to the Canon S2 IS video ?
I really don't understand why you're going to buy a still camera butonly compare the video functions.
I want and need video. I don't want to buy a seperate video camera as I have no use for it. I only need to take small decent quality videos occasionally.

Ex. I was in the DR last year and it was my son's 16th birthday. We had a cake, they sang happy birthday and had a couple of guitars. It was REALLY nice happy birthday in Spanish.

I have some decent pictures but all I could think while taking the pictures was how nice it would have been to have video just for those 2 minutes.

Does that explain it ? Now I only have memories in my mind from the sounds of that day.

If no video then it would be a DSLR no brainer.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:47 PM   #39

Sorry I didn't read any of the previous messages.

In UZ Panasonic has nothing to be afraid of from Canon.
The latter is recently really going bad in the field of Compact cams, and the modern heirs of A and S series of few years ago are crap (in the users' own words).

Also S2IS seems not much better than S1 (IQ - wise) and I bet S3 is worse than S2.
Comparing it with the same class FZ5-7 is more correct.

As I have said elsewhere I will hardly be led astray from buying a FZ40 as new UZ later this year.

On the other hand when I buy a Entry level dSLR, I'll hardly chose something different than EOS series.

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:01 AM   #40

Video on the fz30 is fine i did some vids of some drag racing and they came out very good. not like my vid cam but very good. in refernce to the ois check out this image taken hand held at shutter 1/6 and sharp as anythig.
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote