Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1

I presently have the option to return my Canon S2 IS and replace it with any other model I like. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Is the FZ30 any better then the Canon S2 or am I just looking at another head ache?

What I want are

1. VIDEO !
2. Manuel Zoom

SD memory and regualar AA's batteries would be a bonus ( that was one reason for buying the Canon ).

Can any one recomend another camera possibly Sony ?
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2

depends. what were the problems that made you decide to get rid of the Canon? from what i've read, the FZ30 beats the S2 IS in every respect except noise, and that's really only a problem at higher ISO settings. most shots can be cleaned up quite nicely with NR software. the FZ30 does use a proprietary battery, but if it's anything like the FZ20, aftermarket clones will soon be available on eBay for a fraction of the cost of the brand-name ones.

perhaps if you could state the issues that made you want to change from the Canon, someone with an FZ30 could tell you how the '30 is in that regard...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:31 PM   #3

If you use FZ30 at 5Mp it has less noise than S2IS (at 5 Mp)
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:11 AM   #4

videosilva, IMO there is no comparison between the two cameras. The FZ30 has more features, better IS and better image quality. Read some of the comments and pictures posted by owners of the FZ30 in this forum. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

Yes all I READ is comments. If you read comments from S2 owners they WILL SWEAR its the best thing out there.

Come here and hear it all over again.

Its becuase of the S2 owenrs that I bought the Canon. I don't want to make the same mistake.

I don't care about any brands. What I need is some to say hey....... this is this and that is that. I don't want to hear personal opinions.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:52 AM   #6

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...cfz30&show=all

There you go..side by side comparison of two cameras...although I dont get how you'll make decisions without user opinions...
alleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:22 AM   #7

Videosilva, Personal opinions are based on personal experience! I haven't seen any FZ owners, (in this forum), state that they made a mistake in buying the Panasonic and wish they had purchased a Canon! However you have made the statement yourself that the Canon was a mistake! What more do you need ??? Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:12 PM   #8

When I say personal opinions I'm talking about the guy with 1000 posts who lives on here and says xxxx camera is great the best blah blah balh.

I need to hear from others who have tested and know the pluses and flaws of a camera.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:15 PM   #9

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Videosilva, Personal opinions are based on personal experience! I haven't seen any FZ owners, (in this forum), state that they made a mistake in buying the Panasonic and wish they had purchased a Canon! However you have made the statement yourself that the Canon was a mistake! What more do you need ??? Jim

I just reread that post and don't want to get into the debate this or that brand is better. I REALLY DONT CARE what name is on it I just want some thing that produces.

The S2 is a nice camera LOTS of toys just that dreaded " THE FOG EFFEC " which completly defeats the puropse of buying a camera no ?
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:41 PM   #10

I had a canon s1 for more than a year, then i got a canon S2 and after2 month i changed for a panasonic fz30, the s2 was worst tha the s1, i hate " THE FOG EFFEC " and the only camera with 12x IS better than the s2 was thw fz30, the fz30 is a super camera, but the noise is a problem in a low light condition, if i change i'll go for and dsrl!!!!
dinoddc is offline   Reply With Quote