Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:23 PM   #1

Last Sunday, I went for my usual run/photo op.

Midrun with temps in teens (fahrenheit), Panasonic battery died.

Plugged in the DPS9000 which performed like a champ for two hours.

Got home and it still showed a charge of 100%!

The only thing to watch out for is the side door on the FZ30 which is not a big deal.

Also, occasionally 1U plug would partially dislodge when shooting a vertical orientation shot. No big deal. Just keep your finger on it when you shoot vertical!

Just Google for the DPS 9000. It runs about ~$40.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:45 PM   #2

Ditto. The dps9000 is a winner. Another advantage, IMO, is, with the dps9000 plugged in, the camera does not go into sleep mode. You're always readyto shoot.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:06 PM   #3

I can not hardly pull the plug out of my FZ10 or 20 and I never used it on the FZ30...

I would much rather use batteries.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the "heads up", regular batteries die too quickly for my liking so this alternative is worth looking into.

I have known about for quite some time. Just never saw a post that gave it the rundown like you did.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:02 PM   #5

I have a FZ20 and the DPS9000 and they make a great combination! I use two small peices of gaffers tape, which is like masking tape, to protect the door and to secure the wire lead. Nodoubt about it, the DPS far outlasts the internal battery.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:51 AM   #6

I have a DPS9000 that works fine for me. To pull the plug out just twist it a little while pulling to remove theplug easily. Then don't leave the Pana battery in with the DPS9000 connected or you will have two dead batteriesand notjust the DPS9000

I leave my camera with the DPS9000 on for hours and it still has a charge. Good bang for the buck!

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:30 AM   #7

Thats the point I was trying to make Stan my plug is really tight ...maybe they are not inserting it far enough.

I really do not careif someone likes the dps9000 or not I did like it but have just decided I really would rather not use it anymore......but thats only my opinion.

I actually have a pack by some other mfg which is as good as the digipower but can fit on your belt and I do not use it anymore either.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:05 AM   #8

genece wrote:
Quote:
Thats the point I was trying to make Stan my plug is really tight ...maybe they are not inserting it far enough.

I really do not careif someone likes the DPS9000 or not I did like it but have just decided I really would rather not use it anymore......but thats only my opinion.

I actually have a pack by some other mfg which is as good as the digipower but can fit on your belt and I do not use it anymore either.
Gene. Ifocus my camera on a spot and entice birds to feed there. I leave the camera set up for hours just waiting and drinking coffee. With the wireless remote I am really can be quite far away so my presence does not disturb them. The waiting is what uses up the battery power and thereis where the DPS9000 comes in handy!! The camera will stay awake for hours without requiring a battery change.Without the DPS the internal battery would go dead and Iwould not know. Missed pictures. And yes, I do have extra internal batteries.

Stan
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:02 PM   #9

hello stnkline,

Great use for the dps-9000...I never thought about its application for birding.

Thanks!

I am curious about one thing you said earlier:

"Then don't leave the Pana battery in with the DPS9000 connected or you will have two dead batteriesand notjust the DPS9000"

Since DPS 9000 is going in on A/C plug on FZ30, functionally it is the equivalent of using A/C adapter so why would having DPS 9000 in cause Pana batt to go dead?

Have you experienced this?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Digcamfan

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:50 PM   #10

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
hello stnkline,

Great use for the dps-9000...I never thought about its application for birding.

Thanks!

I am curious about one thing you said earlier:

"Then don't leave the Pana battery in with the DPS9000 connected or you will have two dead batteriesand notjust the DPS9000"

Since DPS 9000 is going in on A/C plug on FZ30, functionally it is the equivalent of using A/C adapter so why would having DPS 9000 in cause Pana batt to go dead?

Have you experienced this?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Digcamfan
I just wanted to warn those that use the DPS900 that BOTH batteries are connected and BOTH will deplete their charge. The first time this happened to me I expected the internal battery would supply power when I disconnected the DPS. Luck was with me as I had another internal bat. I have an external A/C power supply but I am out of reach a lot of times. I never used the A/C power supply with the battery in so I cannot say whether the internal will die.

Stan