Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:05 PM   #1

Ok the previous thread was getting way out of hand and OFF topic.

1. Does the Panny produce video and what is the quality like ( no video I'll stick with what I have now )

2. I would presume with a focus ring the pictures should be sharp and in foucs ?

3. Does the camera have a timer ?

FZ30 or Fuji 9000 what looks better out of the camera ?
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:09 PM   #2

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Ok the previous thread was getting way out of hand and OFF topic.

1. Does the Panny produce video and what is the quality like ( no video I'll stick with what I have now )

2. I would presume with a focus ring the pictures should be sharp and in foucs ?

3. Does the camera have a timer ?

FZ30 or Fuji 9000 what looks better out of the camera ?

1. Yes, it does produce video and the quality is decent. Here is what Steve had to say about it in his review (which I am sure you read): "You can record QuickTime movies at either VGA (640x480) or QVGA (320x240) resolutions with a frame rate of 30 or 10 frames per second. Sound is also recorded, and the length of a clip is limited only by available memory. Because the FZ30's zoom is silent and controlled manually, you can use the zoom during recording. I was pleased with our movie samples, compression noise levels were very low and its AF system did an excellent job while zooming. However, if you are going to use the zoom while recording, do it slowly."

2. While the FZ30 has a manual focus ring I rarely use it. I am mostly usingautofocus, which is 95% of the time spot on and fast. I find the manual focus a LOT harder to use than in a DSLR camera where you focus through the lens, rather than trying to sharpen the image in an LCD. Most images I take are extraordinarily sharp, but again that's mainly due to the camera's excellent autofocus ability. Manual focusing is awkward, I find, when you are used to focusing with an SLR, which I am from my film days.Again, here is what Steve said about the camera's image quality: "The FZ30's image quality was very good when using its 8M Fine mode. You can also choose from a variety of image size choices to fit your needs, and there's even uncompressed TIFF and RAW formats. Outdoors it captured high-quality images with very little noise present in high/low contrast areas. Both our scenic and portrait shots were sharp with good overall exposure and color balance. Its white balance system was very accurate when using its Auto setting in a variety of different lighting conditions. Leica's 12x optical zoom lens offers a great deal of versatility in composing your shots. The 35mm wide angle extreme will allow you to produce pleasing landscape and group portrait shots, while its telephoto end will help bring distant subjects up close and personal. Its Mega O.I.S. image stabilization works very well, which allowed me to capture handheld images without flash at shutter speeds as low as 1/13 of a second. ."

3. What do you mean by timer? It has a 2 and 10 second delay function as most cameras do.

4. FZ30 or Fuji 9000 what looks better out of the camera? I am sure you have already compared the images posted here on steves-digicams.com, as well as the "comparometer" at imaging-resource, as well as closely studied the shots taken with both cameras at dpreview.com and dcresource.com. I always do my homework before buying a new camera. Largely, the image quality between the Fuji and the FZ30 is very close. Fuji does a better job with noise, but the Panasonic tends to be sharper with a little more detail. However, unless you zoom closely into the picture those differences are hard to make out. I did a comparison print on letter size from each camera and could not see any difference. So, you'll be happy with either one.

I hope this helps.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3

On the off chance that you haven't already read a zillion reviews, you may want read the one below as it draws some direct comparisons between the FZ30 and the Fuji 9000

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02...onic_dmc-fz30/

Cheers :|

Added after a moment of clarity and checking the Camera Labs direct website - Better still, go to this link and they have Camera Labs review on both models right on the front page

http://www.cameralabs.com/
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:42 PM   #4

If you haVE NO urgence, I'd say FZ40 !
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:41 PM   #5

Dam that is a GOOD review site I wish I had know about it earlier.

I got the Panny 30 today took a few quick test pics in auto so far so good. I need a few more days with it a good out door weather to give it my final opinion.

So far is KILLS the Canon S2. I hope I did not make a MISTAKE again. TheFuji was 30.00 LESS then the Panny. Unfortunately it felt CHEAP when holding it PLASTICY. Plues I read reviews of faulty Fuji 9000 cameras, thing breaking and my greatest FEAR SOFT images. So Panny it is for hope full forever.

Should this camera turn out to be a dissapointment I will have no choice but to loose the video and live view option and BOW DOWN to the DSLR guys.

With another hundred dollars I can get a Canon Rebel DSLR that I know WILL take good pictures.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:52 AM   #6

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Dam that is a GOOD review site I wish I had know about it earlier.

I got the Panny 30 today took a few quick test pics in auto so far so good. I need a few more days with it a good out door weather to give it my final opinion.

So far is KILLS the Canon S2. I hope I did not make a MISTAKE again. TheFuji was 30.00 LESS then the Panny. Unfortunately it felt CHEAP when holding it PLASTICY. Plues I read reviews of faulty Fuji 9000 cameras, thing breaking and my greatest FEAR SOFT images. So Panny it is for hope full forever.

Should this camera turn out to be a dissapointment I will have no choice but to loose the video and live view option and BOW DOWN to the DSLR guys.

With another hundred dollars I can get a Canon Rebel DSLR that I know WILL take good pictures.

Congrats. I am sure you won't be disappointed....I hope. I myself will do a shootout this weekend comparing my FZ30 to the Minolta Maxxum 5D which will arrive tomorrow. Got a great deal on ebay. The camera with two lenses ranging from 18 to 300 (27-450 equivalent) and 512 MB CF plus camera bag for $649. Could not resist it. And it has built in IS. Going to be interesting. I wish I could afford to keep both, but will end up selling the loser in the competition. For me video is not an issue, since I have a nice camcorder.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7

That sounds like a nice camera plus its bundled. If your willing to lose video with a deal like that for sure its the way to go.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:26 PM   #8

Yeah, the only reason why I got the FZ30 is because DSLR's were still out of my price range, but then right when I got it, prices started tumbling. For me the tracking (predictive) focusing is a big factor, as well as the large sensor of course. My little Fuji F11 should do fine for carry-on purposes and impromptu video. So, while I love my FZ30, I think it will probably up for sale soon. I don't see any reason to have three cameras. But it is a great camera though.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:42 PM   #9

Was the Pentax 1DS with the kit lens not availabe when you bought your panny ? The price difference should have been at MOST $100.00 Can.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:49 PM   #10

It was, but I think I got more for my money. A DSLR with image stabilization, two zoom lenses and the CF card. I don't see the Pentax to be any better than the Minolta.