Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:48 PM   #1

Yes, there is a way to get very good results with the WCON07 and the FZ30.

I am not the first to discover it; I am the first to perfect it. It requires two rings one standard 55-62mm

step-up ring and one 62-55mm CRing. All but the last shot were done with the camera up over my head

with the LCD pointing down; I am lucky to get these shots. It also shows that there are other uses for
the wide angle besides landscapes.

[align=left]

[/align]

[align=left]Check out the detail. Wide-angle lenses do distort (see bottom) when used on other then a horizontal plane. This was intentional.
[/align]
[align=left]

[/align]
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:23 AM   #2

Impressive. I do enjoy your style of photography and your unending desire to make some of the best mods to get the most out of the Panasonic camera.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:05 AM   #3

Nice series, Lovelife. I don't understand why you need the rings. Doesn't the FZ30 have a 55mm thread so you can mount the WCON-07 directly? Johan
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:09 AM   #4

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Impressive. I do enjoy your style of photography and your unending desire to make some of the best mods to get the most out of the Panasonic camera.
Thank you for your very kind words and thank you for viewing.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:17 AM   #5

Yogibear wrote:
Quote:
Nice series, Lovelife. I don't understand why you need the rings. Doesn't the FZ30 have a 55mm thread so you can mount the WCON-07 directly? Johan

The WCON07 when directly mounted to the FZ30 produces an OOF spot in the center of the image. The two rings move the lens just far enough to get terrific results.

Here are two examples of what you can expect without the two-ring solution. The picture on the right is a center crop of the one on the left.

Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:24 AM   #6

Lovelife -

You truly do have a gift! Generally, portraiture is not something that I like to do 'cuz my pix always look very "snapshot". But I really like your style - your photos "speak" to me. This series is neat to me 'cuz it takes me back to NY for a few minutes. (I got to go to NYC in the fall of last year for the first time in my almost 45 years - I'm a native Florida gal - and I absolutely loved it. My sis and I had a very memorable afternoon in Chinatown :G) Anyway, I make it a point to see all your pix as you post them - they're really a day brightener!
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:16 AM   #7

Kayceespix wrote:
Quote:
Lovelife -

You truly do have a gift! Generally, portraiture is not something that I like to do 'cuz my pix always look very "snapshot". But I really like your style - your photos "speak" to me. This series is neat to me 'cuz it takes me back to NY for a few minutes. (I got to go to NYC in the fall of last year for the first time in my almost 45 years - I'm a native Florida gal - and I absolutely loved it. My sis and I had a very memorable afternoon in Chinatown :G) Anyway, I make it a point to see all your pix as you post them - they're really a day brightener!

Thank you very much for thoese kind thoughts. Gung hay fat choy (a New Year greeting meaning, "May you become prosperous.") Sun nien fai lok (meaning, "Happy new year")

May this year and ones to comebe bright with fond memories - LoveLife
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:41 PM   #8

Sorry for the possibly dumb question but I am a beginner and was wondering how I would attach the wcon-07 with the two described rings and where can I purchase those rings? Thank's.
nyjets011269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:13 AM   #9

Great to know about this solution for the WCON07 on the FZ30, LoveLife. Have you or anyone found a similarly ingenious solution to get sharpen the soft edges that occur with the Raynox DCR6600? It appars to be a distance factor more than anything since the lens seemed flawless with the FZ20.

There is less urgency now for me since I added the KM Maxxum 5D to my collection includinga wide angle lens. But it would still be good to be able to get the best possible out of my Raynox.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:07 PM   #10

nyjets011269 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for the possibly dumb question but I am a beginner and was wondering how I would attach the wcon-07 with the two described rings and where can I purchase those rings? Thank's.
Normally the WCON07 would be directly attached to the FZ30 since they are both 55mm mounts. The problem is an out of focus spot in the middle of the image. The solution depends on using two rings that produce the correct adjustment. Ring 1 a 55-62mm step-up rings with an offset of 4.12mm connected to the FZ30. Ring 2 a Cring is added with additional displacement and converts the 62mm back to 55mm The WCON07 is then attached to the Cring. Search eBay for "fz30 w-angle"