Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:41 PM   #1

Madeanother trial, still with just the FZ30and TCON17, for Saturn.Then I couldn't resist givingMars a trial as it was very visible, located just beside the moon. Both (merged into the same image here) were shot using 4x digital zoom, then downsized to about 2x in Photoshop.

I've heard about Mars as a red planet but I didn't thought it would be this visible. Camera saturation was set to low and no color adjustments been made. You could probably do Mars better than this, I just gave it a few shots.

Saturn is soft but it's no doubt what it is ;-)
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:24 PM   #2

Wow, that's freakin' awesome! I had no idea this camera was capable of that. I definitely have to get me one of those TCON17'S. :-)
DirtyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:21 PM   #3

Pretty cool, as soon as we get a clear night I am going to give that a go!!
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:20 PM   #4

Impressive!
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5

PeHe-

What were your settings again? I believe your first post indicated extended optical zoom w/the Tcon17 and 4X digital (or maxed out FZ30 native zoom) and 1/13 second shutter?

I tried a month or so ago with my FZ5 + TCON17 on Mars but had an issue with resolving other than a bright blob. Maybe I had too long of shutter and not enough zoom since the FZ5 doesn't have the extended optical to kick it to where it is for your FZ30...

I guess I'll have to try Saturn when I get back to California. The light pollution here in Tempe, AZis still bad (compared to my Mojave Desert area) even with the stringent light pollution codes around here.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:24 PM   #6

Awesome! esp saturn, but what is a TCON17?
mikeydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:42 PM   #7

Telecorder, the exposure settings vary, Mars is shot with f3.7 and 1/60, Saturn with f6.3 and 1/50. It's important not to get any burned out areas, it'seasy to overexpose... As the planets consistently move, a short shutter speed is good, on the other hand, all sharpness you can get from the lens is valuable and that's easier to achieve with slow speed and small aperture, it's a compromise...

It's a good time to shoot Saturn just now. But Mars is moving away from us, check theimage that shows relative telescope sizes of Mars. But have faith, it will be close again the 22:nd of December 2007 :G http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/mars/mars_orbit.html

In the meantime, I think Venusshould makea good target...

And mikeydeek, a TCON17 is a 1.7x teleconverter from Olympus, well fit for FZ30 with good price/performance!
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:53 PM   #8

thanks Peha .. will check it out....
mikeydeek is offline   Reply With Quote