Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:03 AM   #1

Hi All-

On a business trip into Phoenix and Tucson this week and brought with memy FZ5 and laptop. Unfortunately, I only have Picassa2 to do minor editing and no way to resize. I've posted a few of my first photos taken on the ride into AZ of a lonely sagurro and unique rock formations off of I-10.

Most of the photos are of some great public -full-sized - metal sculptures located in Old Town Scottsdale. (Tiger-Jim, hoarding these gems?) I had the opportunity after a business meeting to see the entrance across the street from my meeting and took a couple of hours off walking around & snapping away. I'm still working on my composing of the shots but there are a lot of neat and unique opportunities in a 2-block area.

I happened across a young gal with a nice Nikon DSLR digi w/ a 200mm zoom. As it turned out, she is an intern for the local newspapers and was on an assignment to find a 'show-stopper' front page cover highlighting Old Town Scottsdale. She seemed somewhat jealous of the lightweight and zoom of the FZ5. She was having a hard time of it trying to come up with an idea for composing her 'front page cover shot' and was obsessing there were no little kids around to run into the flock of pigeons walking around the intersection for an action-in-motion shot.

Since she was 'on the clock' and the golden hour of setting sunlight was at its best, I left her to seek out the shot(s) and wished her luck. I know that I was able to find what I feel where some great subjects her Nikon would have excelled at. Check out my attempts at:

http://iciclelanding.com/aperture?al...&zoomset=9

Remember that there are 3 pages of photos and that Icicle Landing has the original photos that can be accessed by clicking on the thumbnails and then choosing to display in larger sizes up to the original sized photo.

Any and all comments and suggestions appreciated!

Tiger/Jim- the last photo was taken with you in mind...! :homey::G
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:36 PM   #2

Dave, Those shots look really good ! That last picture of the traffic, or lack of, sure doesn't happen very offen! Our traffic is getting to be as bad as yours in Calif. This area is loaded with photo ops! Looks like you found a few of them! I'll have to go to Old Town Scottsdale soon as it looked like they have some new statues since I was there last. Where did you find Sore Finger Rd? That was a new one to me! I take it you didn't venture into SkyDive Arizona off of I-10 ? How do you like the "cold" weather were having? (86 today!) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:42 AM   #3

Hi Jim-

Actually, the traffic was much worse a little before the photo but I was getting the camera out while stopped and setting it to LCD so I could get a quick... 'safe' frame and snap... Traffic is getting to be a nightmare everywhere. Seems like the governments have shifted the gas taxes that were/are supposed to go towards building/maintaining the road infrastructure over to the general funds... In California, it can be traced back to prop-13 that froze the property taxes and this is one of those unforeseen consequences.

Coming in on I-10 from California, I passed an overpass that had the sign the road was 'Sore Finger Road'. A mile or so down the road, I saw the unique rock outcropping and thought it's make a neat shot with the setting sun. I then noticed the lone Saguuro and figured it'd make the scene more interesting than just the distant rock formation. Remembering the name of the nearest road just seemed to lend itself to the photo.

No, I came over late on Monday afternoon and had appointments all day Tuesday so wasn't able to make it to the Sky Dive Park. As I indicated, I left my last appointment at 3 and noticed the sign for Old Town Scottsdale so I figured I'd park and stroll to see about a present for the wife. There are a number of full sized metal scultures that the photos reflect. I didn't think to try various exposure settings or vivid etc. Most of my attempts were trying to determine an angle and ideal composition. A few times autos were in the way, I couldn't get the right angle for the light etc.

Today, I had appointments with clients in Tucson so, of course, I had to take a few of Pichaco Peak. For those who haven't viewed the photos from my Scottsdale foray,the first two above are teaser ...

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:37 PM   #4

More great shots Dave! I especially like the one of Pichaco Peak as that's one of my favorite climbs. There are a lot of neat places to see and take pictures in Tucson also. Have you been to the Air Force Museum and airplane grave yard there? Also great views from on top of Mt. Lemmon, you can drive to the top. Enjoy the rest of your stay. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote