Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:54 AM   #11

I wish I could take a shot like that one with my FZ5 + TCON-17. My shots all seem to have either motion blur or focus blur. I'll keep trying.

I'd recommend even more NR applied to your sky. You could create a separate layer that is heavily smoothed, then create a mask for the layer. Using a large, soft brush, you could then "paint in" the smooth effect to your sky without endangering any moon detail.

Ken
Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:12 PM   #12

Pretty good! Here's my attempt. No added lens, just some digital zoom, then reduced and neat imaged...

Day shot...

Attached Images

DirtyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:12 PM   #13

...and the night shot...
Attached Images

DirtyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:22 PM   #14

Yes, as mentioned it's much easier to see craters and mountains when the moon is not full. This is a crop shotinJanuary. A remote is a great help! I used the 2 seconds timer before but it was not enough on my shaky tripod...
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:42 AM   #15

Maybe that's partly why my moons lack detail. Here's a 100% crop taken with an FZ5 at 12x zoom with a TCON-17. I used spot focus, manual exposure settings of 7.1 and 1/250 (or thereabouts). I haven't done anything to the image with Photoshop.

This shot pales in comparison to what else I've seen here. Either my FZ5 is an inferior camera or I need to buy a better tripod. I'm not getting the crater detail.

Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2006, 2:43 AM   #16

Ken, it's probably your tripod. My settings are similar to what you used and I have sharp details in the craters... well the night shot at least. Anyway, here's a full moon shot from last night. I was waiting for one of these for a while hehe.

1/500 sec at f/5
manual exposure
ISO 80
spot focusing and metering
manual WB

treed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:00 PM   #17

I'm guessing either I was shooting through a thin cirrus overcast, or my camera has some focus issues. My tripod is brand new, and this moon was shot through an open window (no glass in the way). I doubt there was any camera movement during the 1/250 exposure. I even turn off the shutter sound for fear that thegenerated sound maycreate camera vibration.

How can I know for sure that my camera is focusing correctly? Focus Magic suggests only a 1-pixel blur, and the output results are identical anyway.

Ken
Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:18 PM   #18

Ken, are you using locked focus andthe self-timer?
PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 2:00 PM   #19

Ken, you're using spot metering/focusing right?
treed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:34 PM   #20

Yes, I'm using the 10-second timer and spot metering & focusing. As for the "locked focus" suggestion, what I do is half-squeeze the trigger until the moon is in focus, then a full-squeeze and wait for the timer to do it's thing.

Any other recommendations? Could this be a hardware/firmware issue with the camera? Most likely a Ken-ware issue :-).

Ken