Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:36 PM   #1

I was experimenting with my new FZ30 this weekend, and on viewing some of the shots, saw vignetting in the top left and right of shots taken at full wide and a 2.6 aperture setting.

Is this a known issue with the camera that anyone else has noticed.

I am still trying to figure if noise is an issue, but this came as a real shock.

Any advise or comments appreciated.
Attached Images

mikeydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:51 PM   #2

i honestly don't see any vignetting, if you run your eyes around the entire top and upper sides of the image, it all appears to get slightly darker in any given area, not just the corners; i think it is more of a product of the light sky contrasting with the black background of the forum. maybe its just me though, but i just can't see it.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:59 PM   #3

i must admit the low res picture posted here does not show the problem that well, but on a few shots with grey, whiteor blue skiesthe problem is quite apparent and requires a crop of the top of the picture.

heres another!
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:16 PM   #4

I've seen vignetting on many of my images. I mostly get it on images with a low aperture value. The general rule seems to be that raising the aperture value gets you better quality images with this camera, in that it also helps reduce chromatic aberration.

I've seen vignetting in images where the aperture wasn't so low though, so I'm not sure that's the only cause, but the worst I've seen have been in low aperture pictures.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:00 PM   #5

it is slightly noticeable in that second pic, definitely there in that one. good thing the subject of photos aren't supposed to be in the corners!!!:?
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:40 PM   #6

I am not saying it was not there but look what correcting the exposure does for the photo.
Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:44 PM   #7

haha yeah!!

but i like the corners!!!

so i still dont know if this is just a fault with my camera or a general problem with the design of the camera

Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:46 PM   #8

so its a general problem with the camera then.

i guess the solution would be to raise the iso speed to get a smaller aperture, but then noise is an issue, or drop the shutter speed.

seems crazy to have to do this to get round a technology issue tho.

Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:09 PM   #9

mikeydeek wrote:
Quote:
haha yeah!!

but i like the corners!!!

so i still dont know if this is just a fault with my camera or a general problem with the design of the camera

I did not crop that photo...... only fixed the exposure.

Download the photo and lay it on the other one... they should be identical in size.

It seems there is light fall off on all zoom lenses in fact on all lenses and when underexposed or darkened the fall off is more pronounced.

If you have a photo editor you could just dodge the corners a bit, there is no need to crop the edges.

I was only trying to point out its easily fixed.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:17 AM   #10

There is a strange mention of vignetting on page 126 of manual with flash and one filter.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote