Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1

Moon shots

Uncropped - just a little bright/contrast PP

Cropped, enlarged with bright/contrast/sharp/edge smooth PP in PSP 8
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2

Very nice... some of you guys must have steady hands.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:38 PM   #3

Quite nice indeed. Looks similar to my moon shot. What shutter speed did you use?
treed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:45 PM   #4

Sorry, I do not know...

I would estimate 1/125 to 1/500.

ISO was Auto.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:46 PM   #5

I'm amazed by every moon shot I see on this forum. I can't seem to achieve the same results with my camera. Here I used my FZ5 w/TCON-17 at 12x zoom, aperture 5.6, shutter 1/125, "spot focus" selected. I used a tripod with 2-second shutter delay. I used focus magic to correct a 1-pixel focus blur, and a light application of unsharp mask with Photoshop. This is a 100% crop. My moons seem to lack detail. This shot was taken from an 80-foot high tower in windy conditions.
Attached Images

Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:30 AM   #6

Ken, what OIS mode did you use? Panasonic recommends using OIS mode 2, or turning it off entirely, when using a tripod. i set my FZ20 for mode 2 and just leave it there. you had all your settings about right, but for some reason, it didn't work out.there's quite a bit of noise, and it looks like the sharpening wasway overdone, perhaps in an attempt to get some detail. it trying to get some detail. also, there's a lot of CA ("purple fringing"), which can sometimes happen with the TCON-17 under high-contrast conditions. i wonder if maybe the wind was more than the tripod could handle... i can't think of anything else, since your settings were pretty much correct...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:57 AM   #7

OIS 2 was used. I must confess that this was shot through a window, 10 feet from the camera. I tried to do it outside, but winds were gusting over 30 mph, and was making things impossible.
Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:12 AM   #8

that window didn't do you any favors, i'm afraid... you had the settings right, though. try it again from outside, on a calm night, and see what you get. here's the kind of detail you should get with that set-up... this was taken at almost the same settings as yours - f5.2, 1/125, ISO 100, OIS mode 2- but shot from a monopod at full 12x zoom,with TCON-14Bconverter. the coloration is because the shot was originally taken at dusk, and when i darkened the sky, the moon turned kinda brown...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...3/P1050302.jpg
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote