Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:19 PM   #1

I recently bought two 55 mm Kodak Schneider-Kreuznach (one 0.7X WA and one 1.4X tele) for my FZ5. They just screw onto the filter/ lens shade adaptor that comes with the camera just fine, with no clearance problem with the Lumix extending lens. However, the plastic adaptor with plastic threads is very flimsy and the lens are heavy.

I know this post about lens adaptors for Lumix:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/index.html

Out of the four products, only "Yoshida" and "Chen" make 55 mm adaptors that fit the FZ5 (same as FZ3).

There is limited English in the Yoshida website, and there is no description whether their product is metallic or plastic (I hope it is metallic). However, from what I can figure out, one problem seems to be a gap between the adaptor and the camera lens barrel. Apparently they provide plastic tapes to fill up the gap and make it fit snugly. I don't really fancy a wobbling lens, and there may potential be wear & tear problems in the future. This may be due to machining imprecision (and I understand these are not mass produced genuine manufacturer accessories).

The Chen site has no English at all (but I try to figure out as much as I can with Babelfish web translator). His tubes are definitely aluminum. He did not mention anything about selling overseas. I emailed him but so far no response in one week.

I wonder has any FZ5 user dealt with any of the above sellers (particularly, has anyone ever bought from Chen in Taiwan, and how to get hold of him), and if there are any other lens adaptors that fit the FZ5 (I know FZ3 and FZ5 tubes are different from the other FZ series).

Thank you for your help.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:54 PM   #2

am not sure you are correct .....I do not think the FZ3 and FZ5 adapters are the same.....And if anyone makes an adapter for the FZ5 it is Mr Chen but noone seems to be able to get one.

Now there is a chance that the new FZ7 adapter will fit the FZ5 and that may solve your problem.

Also Fred Moore has a couple ingenious Ideas that may help you.

http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:13 PM   #3

Yoshida does not make an adapter for the fz5. The yoshida fz3 adapter (the one that may require the tape insert) cannot work with the fz5. Chen lists an fz5 adapter but he also never replied to my emails and I gave up. As far as I know, there are no 3rd party fz5 adapters. The main probelm with the fz5 adapter is the plastic threads and the 1-2mm of unthreaded plastic at the front of the adapter that interferes with a secure threaded connection. That unthreaded plastic needs to be removed. Fortunately, this is very easily done by rubbing the front of the adapter against fine grit (#100-200 weight) sandpaper placed on a hard flat horizontal surface. I removed a full 2mm and it does not effect the lens hood channels or the threaded connection with acessory lens except to make that connection more secure. You're still left with the problem of plastic thread wear over time with frequent on/off of converters. The fix there is to keep a 55mm uv filter on at all times to receive converter lens. (You can break the glass out if you prefer. The front of the uv filter has metal 55mm female receiving threads.) The uv filter also protects the fz5 lens and extension housing from dust, etc. It would probablybe wiseto invest in an extra fz5 stock adapter; ~$20. See http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/EpartR...ListChoice.asp

I certainly recommend the above modifications Gene refers to. I have alot of 52mm acessory lens and those modifications give you 52mm metal threads where there were 55mm plastic. For strictly 55mm converters, I would first try the 55mm uv filter arrangement described above. Let us know how you make out with the Kodak wa. Please post some shots with links to originals if possible. I'm interested in seeing how the corners do. Thanks.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:16 PM   #4

The FZ3 Yoshida adapter will not work on the FZ5. Also the FZ7 adapter "appears" to be a screw on mount to the camera and not the bayonet style that is found on the FZ3/4/5. Fred's research and suggestions are by far your best bet from what I have seen of the FZ5 mods.

I have the FZ3 and see no issue using a 55mm uv filter as the mount. Just leave it on all the time and you should be good to go. The adapter itself is strong we just don't like the plastic threads.

-Brett

p.s. Like Fred said :roll:. Darn typing delay:-)
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick reply people!

I thought the FZ3/ FZ5 adaptors are the same from the Yoshida website:

http://butabara-tec.com/stock_e.htm

(see stock table - it says "FZ3-55S" -> "To Which Camera" -> "FZ3/5")

As I suspected from other threads and replies, no one seemed to get any reply from Chen (maybe because he does not ship overseas, or maybe because we don't speak chinese!). I wonder how the original poster of the FZ series adaptors (at cs.mtu.edu) knew about the Chen tubes and their quality (he managed to get hold of a few??) ....

I guess Yoshida has an English page and people have bought from them overseas.

Thank you Fred for your advice, I have already read it: I am not a particularly handy man. I think I am going to email Yoshida first to see if the adaptor really fits the FZ5 or if that is a typo on their webpage, before I start to destroy things.

Again thank you for all your help!!

When I have time this weekend, and if the weather gets better, I'll take a few pictures with my Kodak Schneiders for posting.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:07 AM   #6

The fz3 and fz4/5 stock lens hood adapters are the same. The body construction of the fz3 allows for a converter more than an adapter to be put in place as shown below. The fz4/5 has a solid body construction. That little screw is not there. The front notched piece that receives the lens hood adapter bayonet style fitting cannot be removed on the fz4/5.

Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:35 AM   #7

You are right - Yoshiba also replied in email that their adaptor does not fit the FZ5.

Thanks again for your explanation and photo illustrations, Fred!

I'll buy a 55 mm filter to see how much worse it does to the vignetting, before I start sanding down the front of the stock adaptor.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:52 AM   #8

You cannot notice that my adaptor has been sanded. Make sure you sand in circular motion on a tabletop, and frequently rotate the adaptor to keep the wear even. Progress to finer grits as I did, using 150, 400, and finally a 1500 to polish.

Here's another of my threads (no pun intended...)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ht=fz5+adaptor
Attached Images

Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:28 PM   #9

I attached a 52-52 reversalring into the front of the FZ/adapter. It fits perfectly. Nowthe ringtakes on 52 mm filters upside down, because the rings male thread accepts the filters female thread.

I wonder if the coating of the UV or PL filters are still doing their job....
Attached Images

Sjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:14 PM   #10

Sjak wrote:
Quote:
I attached a 52-52 reversalring into the front of the FZ/adapter. It fits perfectly. Nowthe ringtakes on 52 mm filters upside down, because the rings male thread accepts the filters female thread.

I wonder if the coating of the UV or PL filters are still doing their job....
Hmmmm...... I cant' quite see the advantage of this but it is another way to skin the cat, though the vast majority of converters will not attach. And, as you wonder, what will the effect be of reversing certain lens?