Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:40 AM   #11

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your kind comments. I gather from the figures that our respective moon shots are, at this time, about equal in terms of popularity! Not that I believe one is better than the other, or care if anyone else does. It's all about the viewer liking what they see.

Will post more pictures on here soon, had an afternoon trying to persuade some ducks that they really DO like to be photographed but not that successfully as yet, still, at least I didn't waste a shedload of cash on film, and yet again the FZ30 proved itself to be seriously impressive!

All the best

Tony
kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:46 AM   #12

Hi there Tony,

No, no more pics for the moment but just wanted to say (for the benefit of others who might be interested in buying this camera) that I bought mine from the a company called UK Digital Cameras (http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/) who are here in London (in fact, just around the corner from where I live!!).

I'd looked at the camera in Jessops who had it "reduced in the sale" at £499 and, guess what, UK Digital Camera were selling it for £369.95 (no tying mistake, yes, THREE HUNDRED and SIXTY NINE NINETY FIVE). In addition, they sell it with a TWO YEAR warranty!! Also, all e-mails to them were answered promptly within a couple of hours too!!

I don't know if Steve allows comments like this (I do NOT work for the company!) but, if he does, I feel it will be of interest to other readers.

Happy snapping!

Regards,

Raymond
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:56 AM   #13

Hi Raymond

Wish I had have known about UK Digital site before I went to Jessops and then had the patience to wait for it to be delivered lol! Never mind, it's done now! Still, a £130odd saving, ouch! By the way, did you plump for black or silver? I got the latter.

Sir, it seems you are well ahead in the Moon v moon download stakes! Oh well, that's what I get for trying to be clever and manipulating my images post shooting. Speaking of which, check out my duck shot, attached, and let me know what you think, the original wasn't that sharp as yet again I hadn't got a tripod with me, and was shooting in fading light so the doctored image is (intentionally - that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!!) more like a painting than a photo, having been sharpened, contrast fiddled with and resized to fit on here. Looking at it again, have written note to self, "must learn how to drive Photobie properly!"

Cheers for now

Tony

Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:36 PM   #14

RaymondK wrote:
Quote:
Hi there Tony,

No, no more pics for the moment but just wanted to say (for the benefit of others who might be interested in buying this camera) that I bought mine from the a company called UK Digital Cameras (http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/) who are here in London (in fact, just around the corner from where I live!!).

I'd looked at the camera in Jessops who had it "reduced in the sale" at £499 and, guess what, UK Digital Camera were selling it for £369.95 (no tying mistake, yes, THREE HUNDRED and SIXTY NINE NINETY FIVE). In addition, they sell it with a TWO YEAR warranty!! Also, all e-mails to them were answered promptly within a couple of hours too!!

I don't know if Steve allows comments like this (I do NOT work for the company!) but, if he does, I feel it will be of interest to other readers.

Happy snapping!

Regards,

Raymond

Pretty good price. Also Empire direct have for 335 - one year warranty tho.

mike
mikeydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:40 PM   #15

Hi there Mike,

What can I say - and I thought that I had found the best price for the camera (maybe it was at the time??).

Still, what's done is done (and spent too). The only "consolation" is that currently they do not have it in stock and that it's covered by "only" a 1 year guarantee - yes, I know, it's not really that much of a consolation for a further £60 difference to what I paid for it :sad:

I can now only feel sorry for Tony who paid the "full" price for his (by the way Tony, I went for the black bodied one") although his duck picture must have been worth something for him although maybe not the £130 that I'm enjoying nor the £160 that I could have saved!!

Still, that's life - maybe in another 6 months it will be around the £250 mark!

Thanks for the info even if it was too late for me at the time!

Regards,

Raymond
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:28 AM   #16

What are you drinking Raymond - if I didn't know any better I would think it was a pint of Red Barrel....Used to be my favourite tipple...Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:14 AM   #17

Hi there Bootneck2 (unusual name!),

God knows what it was called but it was a mix of a million different flavours prepared by the company called "Sandals" when I visited Jamaica with my girlfriend. What I can tell you is that the evening was first class!!

Maybe one day she'll let me post pictures of her here too but not too sure if Steve would approve - NO, they're not THAT bad but she's an angel - have been with her for years.

I canrecommend her as I'm currently recommending the Panasonic FZ30 here but, unfortunately, there's only 1 of her and she's with me!!! :-)Why not try the FZ30 which is more accessible for you?? :?

Keep smiling and snapping,

Regards,

Raymond
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:50 AM   #18

Although I started this section of the forum about the zoom of the Panasonic FZ30, I'm now finding it more interesting as people are coming in with other comments (about drink!) and pictures too (Ducks and close-ups).

Not to be "outdone", here's another pic, taken at 3Mb, standard, f4 and 1/125sec. I had to reduce it for this website - the original size was 823Kb, the one here is 202Kb. I used Paintshop Pro to reduce it.

Any (kind, please!) comments welcome. I really can't see why one should use 8Mb, fine when, in most cases, I view my pics on my pc and at most, print them on A4 photo paper. I'm sure that looking at the pic under a microscope, I would be able to see the difference between the 2 resolutions but is it really necessary? Maybe I'm opening a "can of worms" with this question but would like a general feedback from readers of this forum - please.

Thanks,

Raymond

Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:16 PM   #19

Greetings Raymond

Using 3mp or the full 8? Good question, which I have yet to test out fully. One advantage of using the lesser number is gaining extra magnification at the top end of the FZ30's range. Unless you are going to do HUGE enlargements using high ISO values I don't see that it matters that much, certainly the BMW picture looks fine to me

On that subject, 325i at a guess? The only "improvement" I would suggest would be to obscure the registration. If it is yours (I am guessing cos of the private number plate) there is no point in advertising the fact, unless you wanted to?. By the way I too have a private plate but not the one I wanted - the DVLA wouldn't issue P155 OFF!!! :lol:

Ooops, sorry readers, I seem to have strayed a bit from the subject of this forum! Must be time for my medication (just been diagnosed with bladder cancer, on top of being a wheelchair user from birth anyway) which regrettably means I have to stay off the booze:sad:

Do I take it that you didn't think much of my duck pic? On reflection (pun intended) nor do I. When the weather improves I hope to be able to take some better ones. Until then we all have to freeze, which is how I was able to take this icicle picture, exposed at 8mp (I think) 1/100 sec f5, hand held ISO 80. Comments whether sarcastic, constructive or just plain complimentary, are all welcomed,

Right, where did I put my tablets!

Cheers

Tony
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:34 AM   #20

Hi Tony,

Being honest, I think your "duck" picture was too "modified" (for me, at least). HOWEVER, I just LOVE the icicle picture and it's made me jealous (no, not going out to freeze my ****'s off just to try to find a similar pic - you win on this topic!!).

You were right about the car being mine (it's a 97 BMW M3 and probably the best car I've had (and trust me, I've had many over the years)). I have to be honest about the fact that I didn't even think of covering the number plate (yes, they're my initials as "RAY 1" was too much for me too (6 figure amount!!!)) and there was no intention to "show that off" either - hopefully the picture will be looked at the way I meant it to be.

Still, that's done and dusted now and the pic's posted - too late to run it through Paintshop Pro now!

That's it for the moment and I take this opportunity of wishing you and all the readers of Steve's forum a great weekend.

OH - My final thought - why don't you start up a "topic" about "Examples of pics taken with a Panasonic FZ30" and post your icicle picture there to start it off?- I would think that they're many around like us who's like to post pics there - what do you think?

Best regards,

Raymond