Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:09 AM   #21

Hi Raymond

Thanks for your reply, so sorry about getting the wrong end of the stick re the Beemer pic, and for downgrading it to a 325i!!!

Your picture is excellent, I just have a thing about security thats all!! I take your point about number plate prices. 1 TNS (or it could have been TNS 1) was recently auctioned by the DVLA, eventually selling for over £11k! Needless to say, I didn't buy it!

I have started a forum topic on the capabilities of the FZ30 as per your suggestion, we will see how it goes.

Have a good weekend yourself my friend, and take it easy on the bends!

Tony

kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:58 AM   #22

Hi Tony,

One simple question: Where did you start that topic on the forum - I've not been able to find it here :sad:

Just post a link to it when you can - thanks.

Have a wonderul weekend - take care!

Raymond
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:28 AM   #23

Hi Raymond

Thanks for your reply: I posted the topic as follows:

Panasonic Forum Topic title "Who Needs a DSLR when the FZ30 is this good?"

I think the link is as follows (this stupid pc wouldn't let me cut and paste the link and my eyesight today is a little iffy, must be too much medication lol)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Hope this helps

Tony
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:36 AM   #24

This is my best moon shot with the FZ30 and B300/TCON14 stacked.... )

Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:24 PM   #25

Hi there Jimmie,

Well, your picture certainly leaves mine looking very amateurish :sad:but at least I tried!! Just out of interest, I'm guessing that your picture was taken using a tripod - either that or I have a terrible hand tremble that I've only just realised! LOL!

Seriously though, it's a picture to be proud of!

Happy snapping :G,

Regards,

Raymond
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:00 AM   #26

Thanks Raymond, oh yes it was definitely on a tripod, LOL they don't call me old shakey for nothing... ) If you get a chance come on over to OLP (OnlinePhotographers.com) and check it out. I bounce all over the internet to diff photo sites but OLP is my main hangout. We don't have diff camera forums just diff catagories to post in... )

http://www.onlinephotographers.com/yabbse/

P.S. we have lots of FZ30 and other Panny users there too...
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:09 PM   #27
E.T

kriptone wrote:
Quote:
Here is my moon shot, taken around 4.30pm February 9, 2006, hand held, with telephoto on 420mm, 4x digital zoom enabled, 1/200 sec f5.6 then colour balance altered to give impression of what it would have been like at night
While atmosphere can make moon look yellow orange while close to horizon its color is very neutral grey. I'm amateur astronomer so I know it damn well because moon is often almost only object visible because its brightness spoils visibility of deep sky objects.

Cold in UK?
I would complaint about too hot weather there! This is what cold means.

Jimmie wrote:
Quote:
This is my best moon shot with the FZ30 and B300/TCON14 stacked.... )
There's some fuzzyness in Mare areas and aroudn edges of moon which looks much like JPEG artefacts...
But big craters of southern highland show well, Also smaller crater inside Clavius shows and Tycho shows really well.

Try taking shots day/two before and after that phase and you'll see much differences.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:10 PM   #28

Hi there E.T.

I can see that you're a very active "reader" of this forum as I find your (useful) comments everywhere!!

From the "cold" picture, I can't match it as my fridge/freezer only manages something around -18 degrees and I suppose that your picture was taken somewhere outside your house??

Roll on summer here in the UK - I'm starting to appreciate the "hot" weather that we enjoy thanks to your picture!! :G

Best regards,

Raymond
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:03 PM   #29

Greetings E.T.

Thanks for your input. My moon shot was the first one I had ever taken at that magnification and the first time I had played with image manipulation to make things look if not "better" then at least more interesting.

I know absolutely nothing about astronomy and it looked OK to me but to a person like yourself it obviously didn't cut the mustard. Sorry mate! All I can say is that is my mistake was an honest one. I hope to God Patrick Moore doesn't look at my picture, then I really will look like a prize prat!

Out of interest, here is the original image completely untouched apart from resized to fit on this site

Regards

Tony

P.S. You have my sympathies having to deal with temperatures that low, hope your photography/astronomy equipment doesn't suffer too much!
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:49 PM   #30
E.T

RaymondK wrote:
Quote:
From the "cold" picture, I can't match it as my fridge/freezer only manages something around -18 degrees and I suppose that your picture was taken somewhere outside your house??
That's taken through window so meter shows propably little too warm temperature at winter. (building warms it little)
Now it's just -15 outside but it propably lowers with couple degrees before morning.
Good that I remembered to let dust mites in bed clothes to get fresh air before weather warmed...

After few days of those under -20 temperatures frost starts to get inside firefood storage room so I just have to use long sleeved shirt/long trousers instead of t-shirt and shorts while in there...

And then it's such emergency if they get little snow to ground/roads in central Europe...

Quote:
Roll on summer here in the UK - I'm starting to appreciate the "hot" weather that we enjoy thanks to your picture!!
Better hope it stays that way, other worst end scenario for climate change could lead to UK "moving" to here in temperatures... in other worst end it would turn to Sahara.
So you should really hope that sleeping dragon won't wake up from this poking it with stick.

kriptone wrote:
Quote:
Out of interest, here is the original image completely untouched apart from resized to fit on this site
That color is very natural for moon when it's higher from horizon.
In this picture rays starting from Tycho are quite well visible. (longest ray goes to ~11 o'clock direction)
About day earlier crater walls of Sinus Iridium would have formed bright arc on dark "side".

Quote:
P.S. You have my sympathies having to deal with temperatures that low, hope your photography/astronomy equipment doesn't suffer too much!
Why? There's exactly zero mosquitos trying to take blood sample now...
And I like how sun doesn't bother you much near christmas because it's above horizon only few hours and mostly cloudy weather makes day five hours long less darker twilight.

And in summer auroras aren't visible because around midsummer you could read newspaper outside at midnight... but then again sometimes auroras spoil visibility of deep sky objects even on southern sky

BTW, propably I could take completely noise free photos if I would let camera cool (that's why CCDs used in astronomy are cooled with cryogenics/or bigger peltiers) few hours outside, biggest problem with cold camera would be batteries getting frozen.

And completely "electronics-free" telescope made by Russians to work in Siberia (factory in Ural mountains) doesn't care about cold unlike some most modern telescopes.
Cold generally makes plastics more fragile (strength doesn't return in warm, just keeps deteriorating every time it's cold) and especially plastic insulated cables just snap broken after certain time if bended... then temperature changes condense water inside unsealed electronics boxes and such.

And it's just so much better to go to sauna after being outside in -20C/under... Half hours in +90C feels so good after that.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote