Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:24 AM   #21

why is panny even flirting with olly?

it would really suck ass if the fz40 would be crippeled just so that it does no affect sales in pannolly dslr division.

panny has a good thing going in the fz series. hope they don't screw that up. the fzs is about the only ace panny's got over the competition.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:47 AM   #22

Canon S3 IS

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp

6Mp
36-432mm, F 2,7-3,5
ISO 800
499 $

still no hot shoe

to be compared to FZ 7 rather than FZ 30-40
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:47 AM   #23
hkj

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Canon S3 IS

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp

6Mp
36-432mm, F 2,7-3,5
ISO 800
499 $

still no hot shoe

to be compared to FZ 7 rather than FZ 30-40
At least Canon says they have tried to make pictures less noisy, we will see how they have managed it, with more processing or better sensor. I would say it stands between FZ7 and FZ40...
hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:49 PM   #24

The simple truth is, no matter what Canon did to achieve ISO 800, it will be no different than anything else currently available, which, in the end will process the images and sacrifice detail. Fuji has taken this approach, with mixed results. Panny's new high sensitivity mode looks worthless to me, if you read the results on the FZ7 over on dpreview.com. Until someone invents a new ccd technology that will vastly improve light sensitivity, we will keep seeing noisy images from small sensor digicams....period.

I am absolutely convinced now that Iwas right to getthe FZ30 over waiting for the FZ40. Noise just is NOT as big an issue as it has been made out to be. Granted, I have never printed ISO 400 pictures more than 4 x 6, but I have taken several in good lighting and viewed them at 100% on my computer, and frankly, they look absolutely fine to me.

So, I think we've all established on this forum that if you are interested in low light high ISO capability..buy yourself a dSLR, they're pricing is getting really close to that of the higher end cams like an FZ30. If you want great optics that provides you with the versatilityof 35-420 mm, Panasonic , IMHO, still reigns as the best of the bunch.
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:26 PM   #25

I cannot but agree, Atkins400.

S2is is worse than S1iS both in color accuracy and in noise.
S3IS has the same 1/2.5" CCD as S2IS, thus it'll be like FZ10 to FZ20, noisewise.

If they'd put a 1/1,8" size 6MPCCD it would have been better than FZ30, but at that size S3IS would have been surely a 8-9Mp camera, owing to the silly market laws.

I can't believe they ve ignored the users claim for external flash hot shoe

Narmer
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:30 PM   #26

PS

I am having fun in the Canon forums (DPREVIEW)

now all the lacks of S2 iS come out (it's actually worse than S1 color and noise-wise) and they are already disappointed by the meagre upgrade of S3IS with that 2 years old CCD

Canon and Nikon make and will make great dSLR, but as long as I'm buying UZs, I'll go on with Pana, and I hope FZ40 will be announced on JUNE, so I'll buy next Christmas, when my FZ20 has 2 years (and surelyI WON'T beselling this latter then)

Disappointing first S3 samples
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss3is/sample-e.html

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=13077

Frankly I d preferred to see GREAT IMAGES.
Better concurrence is better for the future FZ40.
But concurrence won't be from Canon, it seems

Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:39 PM   #27

well, we might as well face it: canon is king when it comes to dslrs but in the superzoom corner panny and late kon-min have the upper hand.
since k-m is out of the picture, i can't see any other manufacturer that can contest the leadership of panny in the superzoom range. but that remains to be seen. maybe sony has something cooking in the old k-m pot.

i, for one, never took s2is seriously and i'm not too impressed with the s3is either.
then again, im not too impressed by the fz7 either. although panny has really hit it with tz1. that is an awesome camera (on paper) and hope it'll deliver the goods in testing as well.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:20 AM   #28

I ve read rumors that

"New model will be FZ50. 10Mp 12x zoom, 1600ISO, 1/1.8" , 600$ - JULY-AUGUST 2006"

I don't know how trustable this statement is (dpreview forum post) andI hope it's not true, although it's dangerously possible that they decided to use the same FZ30 CCD with two Mpixels more (I figure it's gonna provide noisier or more heavily Noisereduced images)

All speculations anyhow

Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:57 AM   #29

And there were people who said the same about the FZ line when it first came out.

Guilty until proven innocent?

Good thing most folks are not so negative.

INarmer wrote:
Quote:
I only hope Panasonic won't deliberately cripple FZ40 in order not to concur with the new pseudo-dSLR 'Panalympus' camera.

Ans about the latter, although I know it's not serious to judge something without having tried it and without even knowing the specs, sincerely I 'd never but such a cam when there is Canon and Nikon, Minolta ... doing it from years...

FZ UZ are far better than Canon, but dSLR is another world
Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:12 PM   #30

You have seen all my enthusiasm for the next FZ model, which I hope I ll be buying soon as it is reviewed.

However I am starting to think about the fact that it's very probable that Panasonic will use again the same CCD as the FZ30, and with 1-2 Mpixels more.
It would be the first time that aa CCD of ax sizeis only used in one FZ model !

In this case they'll have to face the noise increase with more aggressive NR algorithms (BETTER NR cannot be done in a fraction of a second).

I hope they won't be pulling it so much.

PANA go for the image quality not for th pixel quantity !