Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:47 PM   #11

I don't think anyone but you can make a judgment whether you need noise reduction for a particular image printed at 8 X 10. I got to where I accepted some grain with film over the years and some types of noise doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

I've never printed an image with a shotgun application of noise reduction. If you don't have Neat Image as a plug-in you can still selectively apply noise reduction. Make a blank file in Photoshop the same size as the image. Drag the original then the image with noise reduction into the new file. With snap engaged they will align perfectly. There are many approaches from there. I often remove the eye from the lower layer and erase things I want sharp. Some people prefer masks. You can also select the edges and hit the delete key. I have a little freeware plug-in that is good for selecting edges.

If you just want to remove noise from a specific area like the sky you can do it the other way round. Select the layer without noise reduction, use the magic wand or color select to select the sky and hit the delete key.

I think noise reduction is something that should be applied selectively and judiciously.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:53 PM   #12

Excuse me, but... I think 100% is the size you should view the pics to check the image quality of your camera.

Of course, when you resize your pics taken at 8Mpto, say, 3Mp some noise and other problems will dissappear. But, if you do that a lot, you should have bought a 3Mp camera, not an 8.

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If you are a compulsive kind of person who insists on viewing everything 100% to be scandalized by the noise, by all means run everything with deep shadows through noise reduction.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:14 PM   #13

Nonsense! There is no point inviewing any thing at 100 % size that is like a billboard.

Photo quality has more to do withhow it looks full screen on your monitor or printed at8 X 10 or so and there is no noise at those sizes. In fact I have some very nice 12 X 16s that I am quite proud of.

Of course you are free to view your photos any way you wish.

José A. wrote:

Quote:
Excuse me, but... I think 100% is the size you should view the pics to check the image quality of your camera.

Of course, when you resize your pics taken at 8Mpto, say, 3Mp some noise and other problems will dissappear. But, if you do that a lot, you should have bought a 3Mp camera, not an 8.

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If you are a compulsive kind of person who insists on viewing everything 100% to be scandalized by the noise, by all means run everything with deep shadows through noise reduction.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:54 PM   #14

José A. wrote:
Quote:

Maybe we are talking about different things by saying we are viewing at 100%. 100% to most of us means a pixel in the image is represented by a pixel on the screen. So you have to scroll around the screen to see the entire image. It is an impractical way to normally view images because you can't see the entire photo at once.

It is a good way to compare cameras and to look for faults you think you find in your camera. It is also a good way to anticipate noise in a very large print.

If your screen resolution is say 864 X 1162 you are seeing only about one Mp on the screen. If you display it 100% you have to look at 8 full screens of parts of the image to look at the whole thing for an 8Mp image. I don't think most of us do that on a regular basis to view our images.

A photo printed 8 X 10 at 300 PPI is taking about 2.5Mp of data from the image. The rest is being discarded by the print spooler. Noise that shows at 100% often doesn't show on an 8 X 10. Noise reduction softens the image and it shouldn't be used except when necessary. You shouldn't make a decision on applying noise reduction viewing it 100% when your use for the image will not show the same noise.

Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:37 PM   #15

Does it?

If so, what do you even need 8 Mp for?

genece wrote:
Quote:
Photo quality has more to do withhow it looks full screen on your monitor or printed at8 X 10 or so and there is no noise at those sizes.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Quote:
How do I delete this labyrinth????.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:00 AM   #17

Exactly, that's my point. But sometimes it will be needed. If you only print at 8x10, well... why the 8Mp then?

slipe wrote:
Quote:
It is a good way to compare cameras and to look for faults you think you find in your camera. It is also a good way to anticipate noise in a very large print.

(...)

You shouldn't make a decision on applying noise reduction viewing it 100% when your use for the image will not show the same noise.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:46 AM   #18

José A. wrote:
Quote:
But sometimes it will be needed.
We seem to be responding to different threads. The title of this thread is:
Every Image Thru Neat Image?
"Sometimes" is a lot different from "Every Image"

Vol Fan is viewing every image at 100% and seeing noise. He is asking whether every image should be run through Neat Image because he is seeing noise at 100%.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:27 AM   #19

In an effort to cut back on the number of threads people have to look through I'm just going to piggy back on this one with a neat image question.

When using Neat Image do you just do the default auto-profiling or did you take the time to create a profile for your camera (printing out the ref. chart, taking a picture of it, yadda yadda), and if you did do you notice a difference between a 'calibrated' neat image, and just using the defaults?

T
Twitch1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Does it? If so, what do you even need 8 MP for?
I, for one, don't need 8 MP........but it was part of a great package that is the FZ30.
5 MP would have been just dandy!

Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote