Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:28 PM   #1

OK, I am a rank newbie, had my FZ30 about a week. Previous was a coolpix 4800. Every image I have shoot is fairly noisey. I will admit many have been indoors, needing the flash, but most show to be at ISO100. I am shooting on P and leaving most everything to the camera at this point. Is it just my newbiness?

Does Neat Image make the original "Look Noisier" prior to correction? Some of the originals appear less noisey in photoshop.

I am guessing it just gets better with experience. I look at the images on here and they look so good. I guess part of it is also the fact I am looking at them at 100% magnification. I know it is an awesome camera. Maybe I am being to picky for this early in the learning curve?

Ok, done rambling and venting. Guess Just hoping to know my photos will iprove with my experience level?

Thanks
Vol Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:56 PM   #2

If you are a compulsive kind of person who insists on viewing everything 100% to be scandalized by the noise, by all means run everything with deep shadows through noise reduction.

I generally use noise reduction only on images that need it for whatever output I want to use. If I want to print a 13 X 19 and there is a lot of shadow detail it often requires some noise reduction. Otherwise, most ISO 100 shots don't need noise reduction for normal screen viewing or smaller prints.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3

k, I really don't want to o/c over the noise. I am seeing it here and there doing other things on photoshop that are easier at higher magnification. What is a good magnification for checking noise? I really do want to know.

I am looking over some pics I shot outdoors at ISO80 and they are magnificent. Really needed nearly no tweaking at all. Just a little color adjustment, and needed no noise adjustment what so ever.

Most of our images will be printed at a 4x6 or 8x10 size. At this level (8x10), will there be a need for much in the way of noise reduction? Consider I am very new at using neat image, so I am learning at this too.

I really appreciate all the info I am getting from this forum. I am just anxious to see the results some of you guys are getting. I know, gotta climb the learning curve. Geez, I gotta hurry up and be patient. :roll:
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:41 AM   #4

hang in there, i thought that at first too. learn the camera, the controls, and search for tips....like others said, don't view the photo at 100%. I had to break myself of that habit after having a 3 megapixel camera....other cams in this class will look like that at 100% in full viewing too...not all the pics, just like not all of them on the z30 either....if you view the panasonic pics at regular viewing you can see how much sharper they are and the color is nice....you can also turn up the noise reduction software in the cam as well....

gunrock
gunrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:36 AM   #5

I agree with the above, although it probably is the case that most shots will improve after going through Neat Image. But it shouldn't be necessary for well exposed shots in good light.

However, I have also noticed that shots in Neat Image appear noisier prior to correction than they do in Photoshop. In general, shots can appear quite different in different software applications. I have noticed before, for instance, that shots in Windows Explorer (using the 'Windows picture and fax viewer') often look slightly different to those in Photoshop.

Matt
matt_xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:45 AM   #6

IMHO

What difference does it make if you see it when your magnified ,the only thing that maters is how it prints or how it looks full screen on the monitor......do not beat yousself up over it.

Vol Fan wrote:
Quote:
k, I really don't want to o/c over the noise. I am seeing it here and there doing other things on photoshop that are easier at higher magnification. What is a good magnification for checking noise? I really do want to know.

I am looking over some pics I shot outdoors at ISO80 and they are magnificent. Really needed nearly no tweaking at all. Just a little color adjustment, and needed no noise adjustment what so ever.

Most of our images will be printed at a 4x6 or 8x10 size. At this level (8x10), will there be a need for much in the way of noise reduction? Consider I am very new at using neat image, so I am learning at this too.

I really appreciate all the info I am getting from this forum. I am just anxious to see the results some of you guys are getting. I know, gotta climb the learning curve. Geez, I gotta hurry up and be patient. :roll:
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:06 AM   #7

K, thanks guys. Got in the habit of working on things in high magnification with photoshop. Backing off a bit and looking at the pics in a normal view, can get a much better idea of what they really will look like in prints.

Thanks again for the input.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:25 AM   #8

most of us will agree that 150 dpi for a printed shot is "a good resolution". So your monitor is 72ppi. To get ~150ppi the image "must" be viewed in 50% scale. But of course all images are viewed on the full screen or on a paper. A full size view will give you idea how good the image will look if you print it on a bigger paper (going from 150 dpi to ~72dpi). Of cource in the above statement is not absolutly correct but may give you idea.
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:11 PM   #9

IMO I wouldn't turn the cameras noise reduction software up! I take all my pictures with the NR set as low as possible. Jim

gunrock wrote:
Quote:
....you can also turn up the noise reduction software in the cam as well....
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:59 PM   #10

I have some things to say about this.

First of all NOOOO to batch file NR processing (even with Neat Image and Noise Ninja, which are probably the best ones).
You risk to do much more damages than having a noisy pic.
AreaS like grass or fine textures which the prog. mistakes as "noise" would be washed out and transformed into watercolor.

1) I agree with Tiger98. Always keep NR to LOW (funny that exif dataoften fails to indicate LOW noise Gain: but even if so, the file of the pic taken with LOW NR is a bit bigger than the ones taken with STD and HIGH NR).

2) The sad thing is that FZ (at least FZ20 which I owe) will rarely or NEVER give you the perfect image. I have shot more than 20.000 images with my FZ camera, and actually NEVER come across an image which won't benefit of some PP.
Be it contrast enhancement, Sharpness, colors, NR in some areas...

Therefore if you want to PRINT or set on the web a decent image, you better PP it (and learn as fast as you can how to use photoshop or similar).

If you don't "make the eye" seeing other pics (also from other cameras) you'll always think that your picture is already fine and needs no PP-

NOISE must be generally removed only in some parts of the image (sky, or out of focus areas in macros , ...).
Contrast is often low, especially in TELE shots and even Photoshop AutoContrast can do miracles.

I must admit that my cheap Canon A300 used to provide better colors and WB and needed no PP, but it's a fixed no zoom P&S.
You can't have everything

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote