Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:01 PM   #1

The only thing potentially stopping you taking professional (commercial) quality digitalimages with this Leica lens camera would be your lack of ability and imagination. AND in some situations, the lack of a dedicated TTL flash hotshoe.

At present you can put any manufactuer's flash on the hotshoe, but their flash metering systems will only be average from the flash'sown sensor.

On a $699 camera Panasonic should seriously consider including TTL flashin future high-end models for say Metz flashes (who don't make cameras so there is no conflict of interests) if they don't set up their own powerful flashesfor the job. The latest much cheaperKodak super zoom has adedicated hotshoe. But not Panasonic. Which defies the imagination because they make flashes!

Another small thing would be to provide a simple'X' flash contact socket in their cheaper models, which fires with every shutter release. So if you want to hook in an external flash system by cable, you can. Even the lowly Kodak DX-6490 4M pxls with a 10x Schneider zoom from 2003offers this external flash option. But not Panasonic.

There are so many excellent hyper-zoom digital cameras around, but so few of them have hotshoe flashes, or even cheap external flash 'X' connection options available, you wonder what the designers are thinking of. Especially whena powerfuldaytime fill-in flash is so important for portrait (reportage) work you could easily do with the powerful x10+ zoom lenses on these cameras. You can stabilize the image all you want. If it isn't well lit it won't make the grade.
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:21 PM   #2

How does a dedicated TTL flash hotshoe work?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:53 PM   #3

Professional photographerswere using electronicflash years before dedicated TTL flash became a feature on some cameras.

I have no doubt that Through The Lens flash is a good feature but I hardly see it as a necessity.

But maybe I am just an old fart who needs to get with it!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Max
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:58 AM   #4

Max,

Years ago even very few pros used 200-400mm lenses to take portraits or get in close on outside reportage work - because the lenses were literally 200-400 mm long and weighed kilos! And no flash will fill in accuractely at 10 meters of a general reading, but with TTL it will have half a chance.

With the new generation of compact x10 zooms now you can do such things and while a professional news prhotographer will have SLR's , any journalist can easily take this camera and a powerful flash along and get 'the' photo.

Some brand name dedicated flashes cost easily half, and almost as much as this camera! Which is really crazy. But they are worth it.

What I'm saying is Panasonic missed a potential niche pro market of news reporters

who could have the 'right' camera with the right lens - but as it stands now NOT the CHOICE of using the 'right' flash.

PS How's the surf running down there??
Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:52 AM   #5

Maxpixels,

It was a long time ago but I once helped out a mate, covering a big evening function.

We had OM slrs and Metz flash guns witha GN of 60. The battery pack could have kicked over a Harley!

The flash lit up an entire stage.

I dont remember the details but the attitude of the 'guests' put me off any ideas of doing it for a living.

FWIW I have found it useful to throttle back the built in flash on my FZ30 when shooting parrots close up. Very useful to get just enough fill.

I will get an external unit when funds permit. Too bad my old flash has too much voltage to use on a digital camera.

cheers,

p.s Surf is 5-6 feet on a southerly swell!

Max.
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6

Max, I remember those Metzacid battery packs! Withlittle coloured ballsfloating in a plastic tube on the outisde so you could check the charge level with theSpecific Gravity! Hit somebody with that rig, mate, and they won't be coming back for more.

If you are intending to buy, Metz have the 'universal' dedicated hot shoe connection where you just change thehotshoe sectionto suit whatever brand of camera you have. So if you change brands, or have dofferent brands with dedicated hotshoes you buy two dedicatedadaptor shoesfor the same flash. That model also allows wireless sync with additional slave flashes. Costs $$$ but will stand the test of time - like the megablitz batterypack job.

More people injured at weddings & receptionsthan probably any other social function in OZ! But then no other countryserves 'XXXX' beer as a sportsman's breakfast.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:31 PM   #7

How does a dedicated TTL flash hotshoe work?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:14 AM   #8

Adedicated TTL flash is directly controlled by the cameraselectronicexposure system which is reading all the light coming through the lens (TTL) and deciding when to cut off the flash and close the shutter according to whatever program you set the camera on.

If you have say Nikon which offers a TTL dedicated hotshoe, then you need a Nikon flash - or a Metz model which allows you to use the same flash gun on different brands by changing the base of the flash, which connects to the camera hotshoe.