Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 14, 2006, 2:18 PM   #1

Hi, I am new to this group and am sending you all a picture I took this weekend while visiting Seattle, Washington. The picture was taken with my FZ5 in the scenery mode. I know very little about photography and am just learning how to use this camera.

I am posting for two reasons, first to see if I know how to post a picture correctly and second for help on how to take better pictures using this camera. I like to take pictures of interesting buildings, people, wildlife and anything related gardening.

I am here to learn.

Bsinsley

Attached Images

bsinsley40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2

Looking good, Bsinsley. It's a little too big to view without scrolling - at least on my 17" monitor. I try to keep the size to 640x480 (or 480x640 here), which also helps those without broadband connections. How's B-mom doing?

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 2:44 PM   #3

welcome, bsinsley! i think you'll find this group to be very helpful. i know i did!i hope you enjoyed your visit! you timed it right; last night was a thunderstorm, and tomorrow the temps are supposed to drop like a rock, with a good chance of snow.

nice shot of downtown... this is a hard shot to take, the sky here is so often a pale, almost white overcast, and you can't do a darn thing with it. i might recommend a little more contrast to bring out the texture of the building, but i like the perspective!

say hi to B'mom for me!! i hope she's doing better...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:02 PM   #4

I do not think you could have done any better with the exposure....not too much shadows nor did you blow the sky.

I just could not help messing with it ....maybe made it worse.

Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:36 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply. I thought it looked too big as well. Now for the really stupid question. How do I make it 480x640? I am not only new to using the camera but also editting software. I have Adobe Photoshop 2.0. I also have down loaded Pacasa 2. Is this better?

B-Mom is hanging in there. She has finished first round of Chemo and now it is a waiting game for a week, then they will do a bone marrow tapto see the effects of the Chemo. She is pretty weak and I have not talked to her. I did get to talk to her husband the other night. I told him to tell her you all were sending good wishes and prayers.

Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:28 PM   #6

bsinsley40 wrote:
Quote:
How do I make it 480x640? I am not only new to using the camera but also editting software. I have Adobe Photoshop 2.0. I also have down loaded Pacasa 2. Is this better?
This imagemust have been cropped and you can't get 480x640. It comes out 421x640. That's okay. PS2 works fine. I would give it a little sharpening after resizing. Go to Filter/Sharpen/Sharpen. Also, always hold on to your original image. After resizing or any editing, always hit Save As and choose another name so you don't lose the original. Save at a quality level of 10.

I noticed you had two entries for this post. You can use the edit button to change your original post. In this case, I would just remove everything in that message (the other one) and replace it with "Double Post" to clarify.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:18 PM   #7

I know exactly where that building is, used to work a stone's throw from there

No real advice, other than what has been written already...:|
fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:06 AM   #8

The details in this building are nice. You've captured the texture and shape nicely.

Since the sky is rather bland and there's not much going on with colors here, what do you think about a black & white conversion? I boosted the contrast a bit too.

By the way, Picasa does a pretty good job with b&w conversions, contrast and saturation boosts, etc. It's a nice little program for quick & dirty fixes. Irfanview is another nice freeware program - that's the one I used here.
Attached Images

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:25 PM   #9

Gosh, Thank you everyone. I have learned so much already.

I didn't know that cropping would change the size such as 421x640.I like the picture in black and white. I will also have to look into Irfanview. I am into easy, since I am a very slow learner.

Thank you again for all your help. I am keeping notes!

bsinsley - Barb