Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:44 PM   #11

Thanks I'll be going to Henrys tomorrow and raising hell. I specifically said I need a UV filter I never asked for a tinted filter nor was questioned about it. Oh, they are going to get an ear full from me. If not for the other filter I would not even notice the difference.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:44 PM   #12

Has anyone used the Panasonic filters are they any good ?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:28 PM   #13

I don't know anything about the Panasonic filters, but my guess would be that you would be spending a lot more money than is necessary. You should be able to get a perfectly good dual coated UV filter for under $15 (e.g., a standard dual-coated Hoya UV filter). While you're searching for the UV filter, you may also want to look for a linear polarizer filter which you should be able to find for under $20. A camera store will probably tell you that you will need the more expensive circular polarizer filter, but that is incorrect. Due to the type of focusing on the Panasonic cameras, the less expensive linear polarizer works just as well, if not better.
Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:02 AM   #14

Now we are on to filters, what is the difference between a UV filter and a 1B in practical terms
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:07 AM   #15

Timewarp wrote:
Quote:
I don't know anything about the Panasonic filters, but my guess would be that you would be spending a lot more money than is necessary. You should be able to get a perfectly good dual coated UV filter for under $15 (e.g., a standard dual-coated Hoya UV filter). While you're searching for the UV filter, you may also want to look for a linear polarizer filter which you should be able to find for under $20. A camera store will probably tell you that you will need the more expensive circular polarizer filter, but that is incorrect. Due to the type of focusing on the Panasonic cameras, the less expensive linear polarizer works just as well, if not better.

I have looked and looked I am unable to find any filters for under $30.00 odd dollars plus 15% sales tax. I don't know where to look any longer. The camera specialty stores are CROOKS.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:41 PM   #16

If you don't mind shopping online, you might try going to eBay and doing a search on "Hoya 55mm dual coated UV".
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:03 PM   #17

Bootneck:

Basically, a UV filter is clear. In certain lighting conditions it may reduce bluish casts, and haze, but for the most part, it is just used as a lens protector. A 1B filter is a "warming" filter that actually has a pink tint to it. It too will reduce bluish casts, but it may also add a slight pink cast to all your pictures. Some people actually like the little warming effect a pink cast adds to their pictures. It isn't necessarily a good or bad thing... just something that one needs to take into consideration.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:27 AM   #18

That's it, Timewarp. And the difference between a 81A and 81B (I have heard that these grades are translated from Wratten filters) is that a 81B is even warmer than an 81A. In my oppinion definitely too warm for every day use.
Your Tiffen 81A should be quite ok in terms of quality. At least that's what they say about Tiffen as a manufacturer in general.
My suggestion: Don't bother about colour tints or no tints. Just compare the picures, that you take. Take a shot with the tiffen and one without, than decide which one you prefer.
You could also think about taking the filter off indoors, when the "danger" from UV-light, sratches etc. is only moderate and colours tend to the warmer side anyway.
Outside I really like my B&W KR1,5 UV sky-filter (comparable to 81A). But as I said: That's just a matter of taste. Maybe you should give it try.

And one other thing: Whatever filter you are about to buy, have a close look to its coating! A good coating (as double coating by Hoya, multi coating (mc) by B&W etc.) means less danger of getting flares and reflections in your pictures.
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:21 AM   #19

UV, Skylight (1A), and Haze are all UV filter varients (that also vary between clear and tinted glass). As most digital cameras are far less UV sensitive than film, the UV-filtering by such filters is hard to discern in a digital photograph.

Although there is little UV filtering benefit, there isprotection from dirt, fingerprints, scratches, rain drops, etc. You have to weigh the value of the protection in comparison with the potential for flare and other distortion from the extra glass. Perhaps a pro can tell but, I can't say there's any difference between the filtered and non-UV filtered pics. But the lens is sparkling clean:-)

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:56 PM   #20

I ordered a 55mm UV filter for my FZ30 when I bought it. I just wanted it to protect the lens. When the filter came in, I found that it was not a UV filter but an "MC Protector DMW-LMC55" filter. Apparently Panasonic does not make a 55mm UV filter.The MC Protectoris clear and I presume that it is just a coated piece of glass intended to protect the lens. Although it does the job, the original 55mm lens cap will notfit into this filter. The internal threads on the outside of the filter are only 54 mm.
Geejay is offline   Reply With Quote