Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 14, 2006, 5:38 PM   #1

What colour should a UV filter be if any ? Should they be clear or have a light tint to them ?

The reason I ask is that I have two UV filters one was expensive and clear in colour the cheaper one has a light tint to it.

Is the cheap filter any different for a more expensive filter ? Is the light tint that I notice the reason for a cheap filter over a more expensive one ?
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:34 PM   #2

I don't know what the difference is but I have a Hoya Pro1 Digital UV(0) filter on my FZ30 and it is clear.
ttkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:52 PM   #3

You can not see the difference untill you put them side by side. I thought the cheap filter was clear untill I put it beside the 4x more expensivie filter. The cheap filter has a bit of a tint to it the expensive one is clear. Again you do not notice untill placing them side by side.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:42 AM   #4

Really should read more before you buy. Otherwise you run the risk of repeating the same 'mistakes' like your S2 purchase. And to answer your question, a UV0 filter should be clear. Clear?
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:44 AM   #5

you could buy a sky-filter with a slight reddish tone to it (UV - KR1a). It is as matter of taste. I bought one myself, because I'm not so happy with the bluish tint that comes out of our fz30s from time to time.

Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:05 PM   #6

I don't know how to explain this but here goes and hope it makes sense.

I have two filters.

The first I bought 58 mm for the S2

The second I bought 55 mm for the Panny

I did not notice untill putting them side by side. When viewing them on their own they seem clear in colour. But on closer inspection I notice the 58 filter ( more expensive ) is clearer then the 55mm ( less then half price). The cheaper 55 mm has a light tint to it. The 58mm more expensive does not.

Again you do not notice the difference untill you put them side by side. They both seem clear at first inspection.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:08 PM   #7

The 55mm UV Filter is a Tiffen 55mm 81A Filter ( if that means any thing to any one ).
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:27 PM   #8

I'm no expert on filters, but to my knowledge, an 81A filter is considered a "warming filter" and is not the same as a UV filter. I believe that the 81A even has a little more "tint" to it than a skylight filter. It is to be expected that you might notice a difference in the two filters when making a side-by-side comparison.
Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:15 PM   #9

I did a googling for that 'Tiffen 55mm 81A' filter and every page that came up called it a 'warming' filter like the previous poster mentioned, not a UV filter as you indicated (although I suppose it could do both).

The warming effect could tend to wash out that photo you posted in the other thread of the stream/waterfall since there is already a lot of reds and browns in the picture. I don't know if this is the case, just a suggestion.

Good luck with your camera.
T
Twitch1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:44 PM   #10

Thanks I'll be going to Henrys tomorrow and raising hell. I specifically said I need a UV filter I never asked for a tinted filter nor was questioned about it. Oh, they are going to get an ear full from me. If not for the other filter I would not even notice the difference.