Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:07 PM   #21

I'm pretty impressed. Very simillar in size, look and feel to the FZ5. Picture quality on par also. I primarily wanted two things. VGA movie mode and to see how the High Angle LCD works. Only thing I'm iffy on is the High Angle LCD. It does work but I was hoping it would work better both held high AND at a downward angle.

Lens adapter is MUCH improved over the FZ5 and many 3rd party ones will be available. Adapter in box accepts 52mm threads.

I like the controls much better than the FZ5/FZ20. Large LCD is nice. Battery life so far seems very good-again slightly better than FZ5.

Only real 'con' so far is high sensitivity mode. It works but is pretty useless in my view. You can shoot at 'auto' 800 or 1600 but loss of detail is significant. Like looking at a 5 year old VGA digicam.

All in all a very nice unit fairly priced.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:55 AM   #22

Is it worth paying the extra for the FZ7, over the FZ5?

Are you going to post some sample pictures?
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:12 AM   #23
hkj

In Europe it seems to be 299 euros vs. 399 euros, I would say it is tough call, definitely if you need better video resolution, manual focus and tele/wide/uv etc. lenses. If you only think image quality in basic settings then it is not worth the difference. I did not get mine yet, but compared FZ7 (some preproduction only for evaluation version) in the shop against FZ5 and it felt a bit better in my hand (better grip but only marginally).

Build quality was also about same with the FZ5, FZ7 looked much better (FZ5 was black and FZ7 silver) especially the back of the camera. Because I use EVF with my left eye the FZ7 is noseprint wise about the same as FZ5, maybe even better. Cannot wait until I get mine, I REALLY hope I get it before next weekend...
hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:48 AM   #24

Predator wrote:
Quote:
Is it worth paying the extra for the FZ7, over the FZ5?

Are you going to post some sample pictures?
Yes.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote