Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   FZ7 firmware on FZ5? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica/81162-fz7-firmware-fz5.html)

PetroL Feb 16, 2006 6:55 PM

Hi!
I had my FZ5 for some months now and getting to know it better I also seen it´s limitations. Well, it´s the software part that annoys me...
One thing I really need is longer shutter speeds, above the eight seconds that Panasonic for some reason put as a limit. There is other things I´m not so happy with but let´s not get in to it, the real reason I´m writing is as follows.

Since we all know that Panasonic doesn´t seems interested in updating their firmware wse, is it possible to flash the FZ5 with the FZ7 firmware?
However, I dont know were to get the FZ7 firmware end even less how to install it on the FZ5...
I´ts just a thought since I tweaked around with mainboards (BIOS) and graphic cards on PC´s to achive better performance... with success. :-)

The hole idea might sound a little crazy to you guys but I really have to ask.

Sorry if my english is a bit backwards.

Thanks, Petro.

seemolf Feb 17, 2006 3:31 AM

Funny idea, but there are too many differences between the cameras.

The product cycle is too fast, no hacker will start reverse engineering.

I liked the canon hacker group, they solved some problems for us.

SO:

- there is no firmware upgrade ever! (this should influence our decisions!)

- you have to follow the hardware "update" line suggested by Panasonic if you really need new features (eg. more noise)

- I prefer a brandware update after seeing the first results with the FZ7

just my thoughts.....

Sven

....but I still like my FZ5 just as it is!

Narmer Feb 17, 2006 8:18 AM

PetroL

if Sven is telling you that, you CAN believe it's better not to try totweak your cam.

PetroL Feb 19, 2006 1:18 AM

Yes, well no doubt Sven knows what he's talking about.

Those rusky guys could do us a favour though and tweak the firmware to a satisfying level. In my opinion Panasonic is "holding back" their cameras true potensional with their firmwares. I more or less believe that the FZ5 could reach FZ30 quality and of course that is out of the question for Panasonic, I can understand that too in a way... The FZ1v2 firmware made wonders to the FZ1, reaching almoust FZ2 levels I read somewhere.

Well, well, I entered the digital camera world with a good choice, the amazing FZ5 and I know my choice was a good one. However, next one doesn't seem to be a Panasonic. I think that development of a product should be an ongoing process, not stopped as soon it leave's the factory.

PetroL Feb 19, 2006 1:20 AM

nothing...

PetroL Feb 19, 2006 1:21 AM

Nothing...

PetroL Feb 19, 2006 1:21 AM

Nothing...

seemolf Feb 19, 2006 2:03 AM

That's exactly what I meant with: influence our decisions.
Many beginners (like me) started intensive reading after buying the camera.
There are not all themes covered in the tests.
eg. I did not know that there are only minimalistic USB functions!

So we should tell everybody:
The Panasonic is a dead end camera!
Panasonic is not prepared or willing to change "draw backs" ot their cameras.
In this case:
- LCD behaviour in low light conditions
- black out in continous shooting
- longer exposures
- remote control via USB
All this should be adressable by a software/firmware update!
Some of us would pay for this service!?

I hope there will be an open source camera (Leicix?) with an excellent optics somedays.
Up to then we have to live with these fast living cooperations of Leica->Pana->EBAY, concentrating more on pixel wars than quality.

Does anybody use the alignment software for the FZ5?
This software gives us some impression of unused features in the FZ5.
I have found discussions on such this software for the FZ3-FZ20 and FZ30, but not for the FZ5. A tempting but dangerous tool.

Sven

one last word:
The FZ is the first camera where I did not use any kind of software from the kit!
At least a NR software should be presented by Panasonic.

PetroL wrote:
Quote:

.... However, next one doesn't seem to be a Panasonic. I think that development of a product should be an ongoing process, not stopped as soon it leave's the factory.