Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:33 AM   #1

After all these months it's starting to be hard to resist without taking macros.
So, like Seemolf, I ve decided to dedicate a few minutes in search for old macro sessions and PP pics which I had not considered at that time.
The following ones (from this excursionhttp://www.webalice.it/francescoraff...Partenio2.html ) have been just PP.
That day I had the 6T for the first time (although it's not used in all of these) and I admit to still lack esperience with the spot metering (burnt HL)-

I hope you like'm

Francesco
MACROS

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:50 PM   #2

great shots & great detail. Nice work.
hamiltonarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:27 PM   #3

The black and white one is my favourite.
I have just republished my first macro. This is an excellent training of pp and composition. I need this more than you, as we can see with your fine art!

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:17 PM   #4

This is my first post, since I'm brand new to this forum. I have been checking out the fz30 and really would like to purchase one, but I'm also wondering how good it is for taking macro shots. Obviously Narmer's pics are great.

What I want to know, were these taken with the fz30 alone or were special lens used to capture the shots. If special lens were used what were they? You could sell me on buying the fz30 depending on your answer.

One more thing why do people submit photos on the Panasonic forum that were taken by different cameras (Nikon, canon, etc.)? A person would think that only Panasonic shots would be posted here.
2grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:56 PM   #5

Very nice Francesco! Especially #2 & #3. Jim

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:38 PM   #6

Thank you men.

2Grand, you're welcome in this forum.

We only post Panasonic (mostly DMC FZ models) with a few exceprions.
You can see references to Nikon T series (5T, 6T) lenses which are used for more extreme macros, and Canon 250D, 500D , which are all diopters allowing 12x zoom from about 30cm of distance.

The first one was taken with FZ20 (not 30) alone.
These cameras focus (in all modes except for P) at 2-3cm with 2,5x zoom (which is 15mm / =90mm in 35 eq.). But at this distance insects could be disturbed and flash is hard to use.

FZ30 is even better than 20 for macros:
3Mp more, better IQ and better LCD resolution and also twistable lcd to take shots in extremely unconfortable positions. Also F11 smaller aperture is fine for DOF.

Search for Nikon 6T macros in this forum

Francesco

Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:51 PM   #7

Another BW version, Sven
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:00 PM   #8

thanks Francesco,
there will be a print of this picture on my wall!
I am reading books about composition (Andreas Feininger) to improve my creativity, but simply looking at your pictures helps too!
Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:42 PM   #9

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Now I'm going to go shopping, I've been debating for quite some time now about which camera to move up to and I think I've been sold. This will be my 3rd digital camera the first being a Kodak easyshare which was good enough for me to enter the digital world. The one I'm working with now is a Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 and although I've had a lot of fun with it and have taken many great pictures with it it is now time to move up.
I don't want to spend the money on a digital slr and then lug around a bunch of lenses so the panasonic sounds lot a bang for the money.
I always thought I could take a decent picture but I get very humbled with all the pictures that are posted on these forums. I never realized so many people could be such great artists with a camera.
Keep on clicking everyone and keep on posting!!
2grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 5:23 PM   #10

Thank you Sven

if you send me your e-mail I can send you the full size image, although I 'd have to reprocess it for I made the bW from a resized one (taking only the green channel for the BW). My e-mail is in this site http://xoomer.virgilio.it/francescoraf/nearly at the bottom of the main page.

2Grand
FZ30 is a better camera, although any pic needs good Post processing.
I will tell you something about this.
15 years ago I made drawings that I judged very nice: after 5 years they seemed bad, for I d learned to draw better.

The point is that one must ask WHAT is technically and artistically great in a given image which you like and what is not in those you don't like.
This stands for both photography and for Post processing.
Images I shot 1 year ago and which seemed well post processed, appear to be badly edited now that I've improved my technique and that I know the issues of my camera.

Therefore apart from the EYE for photography and a tool which allows you to capture hard situations (broad dynamic range, high ISOand espec. ZOOM) you have to know what is wrong i.e. in the colors of a certain image and how to correct this (and only this) with Photoshop.

Sometimes an image looks already great until you see the same pic taken with a different camera or even only a different White Balance...

In my gallery you can see nice pics even when I was just starting to shot, with my Canon A300*** (no zoom, 3Mp) and which perhaps gave good images with less PP than that needed by FZ20. But it had no zoom...

Maybe if FZ20 had been a perfect camera in any detail, I would have learned less about Photoshop (which I already used).

Finally it's all about passion: this makes you go where you can take great shots, and makes you struggle until the image becomes as you want.
UZ give great optics, but image-wise only dSLR (also entry level but with high level optics) do the visible change of quality. Yet sometimes PP capability can make a shot look like if taken with a dSLR (yet only at screen res. and in A4 or smaller prints)

*** as the pic below (but ho I'd wished I had a UZ when I was there)

Francesco Raffaele/Narmer

http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm