Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:28 AM   #21

If you take a look at this pic, there looks to be a soft center. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...600&size=l
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:09 PM   #22

I think they all have soft centers with the possible exception of the "crisp center" brick wall, which pretty much confirms CK'sopinion that the oly wcon07 and the kodak-schneider are very similar if not identical. Try putting a 55mm uv filter between the fz30 and the wa and see if that added distance removes the soft center. It might also result in vignetting in which case get one of lovelife's C-rings. You could try putting a rubber band (or something like that) on the wa threads or in the fz30 threads so that it doesn't thread in all the way. That might give it enoughadded distance to get rid of the soft spot.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:37 PM   #23

Im starting to think the only way you are going to get a good quality picture using a 07 is to get the Panasonic lens, unless you what to use the 2 rings to fix the problem with the others. The down fall about the Panasonic is the cost:O:OThat lens is $200.00+ ...Ouch.
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:38 PM   #24

Thanks for all the comments.... I will post a few more pictures today with a b + w 55mm UV Filter mounted between the FZ and converter. I messed a bit with it last night and it appears it makes the corners dark but just barely. If I adjust the zoom just a notch it appeared to look fine. I will note the exact zoom when taking the shots.

Someone asked if all the pictures were taken with the Wide Converter on and the answer is yes. That is what seems a little bazaar to me as the brick wall shot taken seconds after the other doesn't appear to have a soft spot as the other one obviously did. I will take a couple of quick shots of the adapter as well to see if that will help with verifying its similarity to the WCON07.
wadeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:11 PM   #25

I just got back from taking a few shots with B + W Filter place between the FZ and the Xenar Lens. My initial assessment is that I am now happy with the lens. The filter really seemed to make a difference and there was very little corner loss. I did take some of the pictures with the lens completely wide and other with it slightly adjusted. I used the the 3 and 5 on the zoom to denote the position when I took some of the shots. You will be able to tell on a few of the pictures with the filter where I adjusted the zoom as they will have a number of 3 or 5 in the file name.

I tried to upload them on to Flickr but I guess I already exceeded my monthly upload limit so I made a page on my personal account with the most critical pictures from yesterday compared to those I took today. The pictures can be found at

http://www.jenstead.com/fz30wide/index.html

wadeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:20 PM   #26

I didn't see any 3 or 5 to indicate some zoom was used. Neither did I see vignetting on any of the shots, so, unless zoom was applied in all of them,it couldn't be much of a problem.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:10 PM   #27

Wonder if there will be an issue if you were to stack a Cir-Pol filter with the lens, since I am probably going to have that on my camera more than a UV (haven't bought one yet) filter.

polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:45 AM   #28

polar905 wrote:
Quote:
Wonder if there will be an issue if you were to stack a Cir-Pol filter with the lens, since I am probably going to have that on my camera more than a UV (haven't bought one yet) filter.

A polarizer filter is approx twice the thickness of a uv filter and will probably cause significant vignetting.