Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:45 PM   #1

Hi all .... I just received a Kodak Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x Wide Angle Lens to use with my FZ30. It's a little late to do any significant tests but my initial reaction is it looks pretty good. Let me preface that with that I have no experience with wide angle converters (and I'm pretty new to the FZ30). I've been reading all I can and looking at all the comparisons on all the web forums and it came down to the Xenar and LW55 ... in the end I figured it was worth a chance to give the Xenar a try.

I have learned so much from you all and would like to contribute back with trying the lens out and posting the results. I'm not sure whats the best tests are to conduct....short of going to another testers house and setting up a tripod in his front yard. Please let me know what tests you would like me to perform and I will do what I can to accommodate. I just received the TCON 17 as well ..... going to be a fun weekend!
wadeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:56 PM   #2

wadeatl wrote:
Quote:
going to be a fun weekend!
Sounds like it! Welcome to the forum. Quite a few of us are looking forward to some samples with the fz30 and kodak-schneider wa. The most critical area of the wa lens is the corners where vignetting andca and softness are most likely to show up. Try to get some high contrasted objects like treebranchesin those areas to give it the acid test. Also zoom in some to2x, 4x, and6xto see how it handles the corners atlower zooms.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:24 PM   #3

The stuff Fred mentioned and be sure to do it as wide as possible and a photo at wide of a building and or a brick wall would be nice. To check for distortion.

I never thought anyone was going to try one of those....thanks

I will be looking forward to some photos.

wadeatl wrote:
Quote:
Hi all .... I just received a Kodak Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x Wide Angle Lens to use with my FZ30. It's a little late to do any significant tests but my initial reaction is it looks pretty good. Let me preface that with that I have no experience with wide angle converters (and I'm pretty new to the FZ30). I've been reading all I can and looking at all the comparisons on all the web forums and it came down to the Xenar and LW55 ... in the end I figured it was worth a chance to give the Xenar a try.

I have learned so much from you all and would like to contribute back with trying the lens out and posting the results. I'm not sure whats the best tests are to conduct....short of going to another testers house and setting up a tripod in his front yard. Please let me know what tests you would like me to perform and I will do what I can to accommodate. I just received the TCON 17 as well ..... going to be a fun weekend!
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:03 PM   #4

Waiting for the results......:Gfmore, I remember you suggesting the lens on my post, but nobody tried it on a FZ30, so I thought I would wait a little.Lets see if your suggestion would have paid off.I have a credit card in had as soon as the results are in.....:lol:

Thanks.....

Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5

I am glad to see the familiar faces on a thread about the Kodak WA and FZ30. I will also be waiting to see the results, and will probably have my decision done before the end of the weekend.

Where is the cheapest price btw? B&H seems to be the one I found.

polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:20 PM   #6

I hope the lens test is going well.:GI hope wadeatl has some results for us sometime this weekend on the lens. Ive been looking for a WA lens for awhile now and hope this is the one.Wadeatl, what all came with the len? The site states:
  • Kodak DX7590 DX6490 wide lens [/*]
  • Protective storage pouch.
[/*]
Does it come with end caps? Just thought I would check. I like how the Olympus comes with the end caps.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:56 PM   #7

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. It was a cold rainy day in Atlanta...but fortunately was able to get out for 40 minutes or so to try out the new lens. I have to say its up in the air...

I took a bunch of shots and posted those that I thought would be of most interest at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

There appears to be a similar flaw in the Schneider lens as the WCON07 with a center blur. It's odd that in some cases it's there and others it isn't. You will see a few shots that are essentially the same where it appears without a doubt and the other looks fine.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions.....sorry for the short message.....but wanted to get something off tonight.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:01 PM   #8

BummmmmerAfter looking at the pics, it does look like its having the same effect as the Wcon-07. I wonder if you can do the same thing they did to fix the problem with the Wcon-07.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:06 PM   #9

Just incase you did not know, here is the link on what they did to fix the problem with the Wcon-07

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:09 PM   #10

Cwood....I'm a little bummed as well....but not totally out as there are some shots where the center is absolutely perfect and crisp..... need to look into it further. The step adapters may work out as a fix ....

BTW .. Sorry forgot to answer your question....yes it came with both lens caps and a small pouch.