Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:41 AM   #1
hkj

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...era-Review.htm

Better than FZ5, but only evolution not even close to revolution... For now best value in its class, but I wonder if it is so after PMA Still going to order because there is no competition in its size class. Overall a small disappointment to me, but most of these issues I knew even before this review.

I would have loved to see Venus III, better EVF and LCD and better build quality even if that would have meant 100 more in MSRP, but I know it would not have sold as well as it will with this price.

Seems fine to me too, but not GREAT I think we will see great camera (compared to film) in this price group (400 euros/dollars) in the year 2007... :-)
hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:20 AM   #2

I think that most of the negative points they found would have disappeared had they taken the camera outdoors...they seemed to say the best light was a well lit bedroom.

And the speed of writing would have been improved greatly with a larger and faster card.....you would think those people would understand that.

Its not the camera for me but it seems to be fine.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:44 AM   #3

erased
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4

FZ30 has received a mild review there.

It is interesting to note that FZ5 has the best color reproduction of the FZ lot, and it compares and also excels the colors of the EOD 5D (both used in Standard and in Faithful picture style) and excels those of EOS 350D.

FZ7 has more saturated images than FZ30 and FZ20.

This is the result of people wanting more saturated than natural colors.

However starting from a natural color it is easy to obtain with PP more saturation, whereas from an oversaturated image, owing to color shifts (and noisier pics) it's harder...

Below are Imatest from the digitalcamerainfo website (the one of FZ20 is from another site)

I have always praised the color accuracy of FZ5.
Small as it is it really lacks only Flash hot shoe (and noise free pics) to be nearly perfect

That's why in my latest excursion I returned toshot with low settings on my FZ20.

I agree that pics look dull and softer, but they turn out easier to PP then (all low settings produce also slightly but surely less noisy pics as someone scientifically tested last year).
Then pics also hold better the sharpening (while a whole not partially undone sharpening effect in photoshop is too much with STD sharpening FZ20 pics.
Allso color casts (different from color shifts) is minimized.

Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:02 PM   #5
hkj

It would be nice to know if they did the color saturation on purpose in FZ7 so maybe it can be controlled with software and has nothing to do with the camera sensor. Maybe and only maybe it would be possible that Panasonic could release firmware with accurate colors...

I also would like to see a couple of different FZ7s and compare the color saturation on those, maybe it is different between cameras (calibration). Maybe we can calibrate the camera with software inside the camera or with some calibration software outside the camera.

Just some thoughts.

I think I will do the test with my camera, I just need to go to somewhere where I can get neutral light and where I can get the ColorChecker chart (or I will order it from somewhere). When I have done this I will try to contact Panasonic and ask if they can provide the enthusiast camera users means to correct the saturation in their cameras...
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6

hkj wrote:
Quote:
Maybe and only maybe it would be possible that Panasonic could release firmware with accurate colors...

I will try to contact Panasonic and ask if they can provide the enthusiast camera users means to correct the saturation in their cameras...
Don't hold your breath. Pany doesn't do firmware upgrades. It is unclear what settings they used for the color tests. If it was set to Natural (the least in-camera processing) there is reason to be concerned.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:36 PM   #7
hkj

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
hkj wrote:
Quote:
Maybe and only maybe it would be possible that Panasonic could release firmware with accurate colors...

I will try to contact Panasonic and ask if they can provide the enthusiast camera users means to correct the saturation in their cameras...
Don't hold your breath. Pany doesn't do firmware upgrades. It is unclear what settings they used for the color tests. If it was set to Natural (the least in-camera processing) there is reason to be concerned.
Camera has high setting and low setting, it does not say in manual which one is the default. High is more vivid and low should be natural. If high is even more vivid than in the review then it is REALLY vivid They also did not say if they used high or low sharpness while they did sharpness/resolution tests. I would love to see off setting in some of the options, this is possible in my DVD player and TV so why not with the cameras too (sharpening, noise reduction etc.).

I think Venus II is also starting to show that it is not so new anymore. Well, for now we cannot get anything we want, but I still think we are going forward even after these odd color saturation figures. Damn I would have loved to see that Venus III processor and TZ1 LCD on this camera...
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:23 PM   #8

The FZ5 manual lists only 2 settings for Picture Adjustment - Vivid (high) and Natural (low). There is actually a third setting between those- Standard. As I recall, Standard is the default setting for the FZ5. Whereas the FZ5 only has one category for Pict Adj, the FZ7 has 4; Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, and Noise Reduction. The FZ7 manual lists only 2 levels of adjustment for each, high and low. But, like the FZ5, it is quite possible that there is a middle or Standard level for each category and that is what the FZ7 was set to for these tests. I hope so. It wouldn't have been reasonable to set it to high (Vivid) and if it was set to low (Natural), there is a problem.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:05 PM   #9
hkj

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
The FZ5 manual lists only 2 settings for Picture Adjustment - Vivid (high) and Natural (low). There is actually a third setting between those- Standard. As I recall, Standard is the default setting for the FZ5. Whereas the FZ5 only has one category for Pict Adj, the FZ7 has 4; Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, and Noise Reduction. The FZ7 manual lists only 2 levels of adjustment for each, high and low. But, like the FZ5, it is quite possible that there is a middle or Standard level for each category and that is what the FZ7 was set to for these tests. I hope so. It wouldn't have been reasonable to set it to high (Vivid) and if it was set to low (Natural), there is a problem.
That sounds quite right, it would be odd if there would be only high and low settings. Well, I can tell when I get the camera, hopefully sooner than later. FZ7 manual seems to be quite vague, I think it would be great if someone could write a better one...
Old Feb 18, 2006, 6:08 PM   #10

I agree, Fmore.

In the same site EOS 5D review test, they expressly state that the jpg quality pic was set to "Faithful" image setting (whereas at "standard" default mode the colors where more saturated, you know canon blue skies and so...)

The real problem IMO is not oversaturation, especially when a LOW sat setting can abolish or at least reduce oversaturation in jpgs.
The real problem is when the color shift is not "outwards" (towards more saturated hues" but towards different hues and colors.

In this respect, as I mentioned, FZ5 is great, for it has great accuracy.
And I think it was tested in default mode, not Natural (or they would have mentioned that, as in EOS 5D test).

When color accuracy is niceit's easier to change colors as you wish (althoug this also depends on channels noise).
When you have to change single colors (selective color in Photoshop) you really lose a lot of time in this...

Nar