Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:23 PM   #11

>Onthe other hand i'd rather carry an FZ7 than any digital SLR, and
> the cost difference (with a big, fast lens on the SLR) is huge.
> --
> Simon Joinson, dpreview.com

Interesting he feels that he'd preferhis 'Recommended' FZ7 overhis 'Highly recommended' FZ5...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&thread=17279197
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:40 AM   #12
hkj

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
>Onthe other hand i'd rather carry an FZ7 than any digital SLR, and
> the cost difference (with a big, fast lens on the SLR) is huge.
> --
> Simon Joinson, dpreview.com

Interesting he feels that he'd preferhis 'Recommended' FZ7 overhis 'Highly recommended' FZ5...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&thread=17279197

Simon also said:
"
We are getting more critical. We will mark manufacturers down for producing 'upgrades' that increase pixel count without improving image quality. The FZ5 had a lot less competition than the FZ7 too.
S
--
Simon Joinson, dpreview.com
"

He also tells that Panasonic says Venus III is better at reducing noise and they are working hard to reduce the noise problem in new Lumix products. It is shame that Venus III is not in FZ7, that could have made the difference between Recommended and Highly Recommended.

Now it is too late to cry, Panasonic made cheaper replacement for the FZ5 and it does not produce better images. It does produce those pictures with less effort and is better to use. It is disappointing that in 1 year they could not make product that produces better images, but I have seen this to happen when TVs and monitors went from analog to digital and so it does not surprise me
:-)

hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:31 AM   #13

Hey

I will only say regarding Recommendation: My FZ 3 has a Highly Recommended and the FZ30 only a Recommended. That means that my FZ 3 is much better yeah,

Lg.

GerhardL
Lucky_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:14 AM   #14

Lucky_66 wrote:
Quote:
Hey

I will only say regarding Recommendation: My FZ 3 has a Highly Recommended and the FZ30 only a Recommended. That means that my FZ 3 is much better yeah,

Lg.

GerhardL
I think everybody knows that comparing cameras of a different level and price aint right...
PetroL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:52 PM   #15

I can only say one thing - Noise is very overrated. Noise ninja easily corretcs it... But the 2.5" LCD is great, and the qualit of the pictures is not vorse than the FZ5... By any means, The FZ7 is a slight improvement over the FZ5, but dont knock it dow.. It is still beter than the Canon S3Is
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:26 PM   #16

After carefully compare the result in ISO 400, based on dpreview review.
I compiled the list of:
Pana FZ7, Sony H1, Pana FZ5, Canon S2S1, Kodak P850, Pana FZ30, Samsung Pro 815

Seem FZ7 the picture quality not bad at all.
Below sample taken from dpreview (Simon Joinson).
Attached Images

armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:49 PM   #17

Nice compare. I would have to say that the FZ7 is one of the best overall in that group. To me it is consistently good in each of the test images. Perhaps not always the best but also not the worst. Can't wait for it to arrive. UPS shows it shipped but I still don't have a projected deliver date yet. I'm thinking mid next week.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:19 PM   #18

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating when you wait anxiously, hopefully for the next FZ model to cure the ills of the previous ones and you get another kick in the stomach. Frankly, I've been a fan of Panasonic cameras since I first discovered the FZ10 and waited for the FZ20 to come out. Bought the 20 and found the EVF and poor low light performance to be intolerable and disposed of it. Bought a Nikon D50 and upgraded to a D70s. Miss the all-in-one ease of the FZ line and waited impatiently for the FZ7, figuring to buy a light, megazoom to complement my Nikon. But, Panny dropped the ball on this one, it sounds like. Can't say I definitely won't bite on it, but I'm not too happy with the bean counters who trump the designers at Panasonic right now. :angry:
Vandyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:10 AM   #19

on the samples, I hv reduce the size, on 100% crops, I can clearly see FZ7 still a winner
Very likely I will get mine FZ7 next month :G
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:14 AM   #20

Below sample is 100% copy from DPREVIEW (no resize), look very clear FZ7 & FZ5 almost have a same quality. and Kodak P850 seem to be the worst.
Below sample taken from dpreview (Simon Joinson)
Attached Images