Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/

"Slightly disappointed by the lack of significant (let's be honest - any) improvements in image quality (though highlight clipping is less of a problem than it was with the FZ5). Noise is - if anything - worse (though the extra megapixel means that the difference is pretty much indistinguishable in prints), and though there is more resolution it doesn't show in real world shots, where the noise reduction system smears very fine low-contrast detail (such as foliage and hair) at all but the lowest ISO setting. The new High Sensitivity mode is useful for getting a shot where all else has failed, but to be honest, from a photographic point of view it's pretty much unusable."
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:41 PM   #2

They have the street price @ $299.00 - show me that street, and I'll buy one today.:lol:
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:18 PM   #3

My FZ5 gets a kiss and the FZ7 a kick in the ... (sorry for that).
- One year of development to decrease picture quality!
- Bigger but worse lcd.
- EVF position changed to get fat on your lcd too.
- Battery and SD still blocked by the tripod.
- No new processor!

But this time they need a firmware update from the beginning!

This is the right time for a downgrade. (FZ4, FZ3, FZ1v2)

Somebody said that Panasonic is reading this forum.
Well, I don't think so!

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:46 PM   #4
hkj

It is a better camera than FZ5, but the image quality is the same. I think Panasonic did what they could with that old sensor... They need badly a new sensor because these are the last cameras they can use the old one because of the competition.

I have to think my order again, I might put it on hold or cancel it. It seems that there came only a couple of cameras to the Europe for now so my camera is not coming to me before March...

There is not too many new cameras to choose from, but this will change soon. Kodak Z612 does not look too bad, Canon S3IS is out soon and propably Sony H2 but they are a going to be a little bigger and more expensive (Canon/Sony), I think.

Damn, damn, damn, I liked FZ7 so much and still do, until Simons review I hoped the noise is little better than in FZ5. O why o why there was not even a little less noise than in FZ5 It is cheap, it is versatile, it is small, but I hate noise :evil: O, Cruel agony...
hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:01 PM   #5

Well I just finished reading the review, pretty much what I figured it would be. I as almost everyone we hoping for even more but lets be honest, you can only get so much out of a small sensor with 12x zoom. Still, it's another very solid camera from Pany. Here is how I would place it's value from an upgrade perspective.

If you have an FZ1 keep it and get the FZ7 also.

If you have an FZ3 and want the extra features upgrade to the FZ7

If you have an FZ4 and NEED the extra features upgrade to the FZ7

If you have an FZ5 don't bother you already have a great camera.

Now seeing that I have an FZ3 and would LIKE the extra features I'll have to give it some thought. The possibility of a better lens adapter may be enough to push me over the edge. We'll see.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:18 PM   #6
hkj

FZ20 sensor was also 1/2.5" and it had less noise (if only marginally), that is what kept my hopes up. I think it is possible to put 1/1.8" sensor in such a small camera as FZ7 (Fuji F30/F11 1/1.7" sensor) but FZ30 noise is not that much better. I think they have new sensor/sensor technology and they are going to use it first in FZ40.

Shame, shame, shame, but I DO need a new camera, so maybe I can live with it for now... I just hope that ALL sensor manufactures start to deal with the noise in small sensor sizes, not only Fuji.

Well, it IS good value for the money, that Leica lens is that good. I just wonder what they could have done with the sensor in the Fuji F30 camera, with that, higher resolution LCD and Venus III the camera would have been God amongst the superzooms :-)
hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:58 PM   #7

AHHHHH,

My head is done in.

Just checked out the above review and all I can say is "NOISE".

Don't know what to do now, i've been researching Digi Cams for weeks and trying to decide which one to buy. I thought I had decided on the FZ5 and then I heard that the FZ7 was coming out. Now it's out and although there is a more features(for the better) there is no improvement on "NOISE" issues, possibly worse.

:?

I might just hang on a little longer and see if Sony bring out a H2. Does anyone know if Sony have a H2 in the pipeline or if any other manufactures are bringing out a new "Super Zoom"?

Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:51 PM   #8

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
Well I just finished reading the review, pretty much what I figured it would be. I as almost everyone we hoping for even more but lets be honest, you can only get so much out of a small sensor with 12x zoom. Still, it's another very solid camera from Pany. Here is how I would place it's value from an upgrade perspective.

If you have an FZ1 keep it and get the FZ7 also.

If you have an FZ3 and want the extra features upgrade to the FZ7

If you have an FZ4 and NEED the extra features upgrade to the FZ7

If you have an FZ5 don't bother you already have a great camera.

Now seeing that I have an FZ3 and would LIKE the extra features I'll have to give it some thought. The possibility of a better lens adapter may be enough to push me over the edge. We'll see.

-Brett
Well said
In term of image quality, I can say almost no improvement.
In term of feature, yes, such as: manual focus, joystick control, faster auto focus.
If you don't have FZ5 and plan to buy one, maybe can consider FZ7 :-)
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:26 PM   #9

I am not impressed at all... ISO 800 and 1600 seems to be unusable to me. I´ll rather buy a Fuji F11 for that.:-)

Furthermore, pic 12 on the samples with ISO 200 looks "not that good"... Same with the seagull at ISO 400. Not mentioning the ISO 800 nightpic.:?
PetroL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:10 PM   #10

Predator wrote:
Quote:
AHHHHH,

My head is done in.

Just checked out the above review and all I can say is "NOISE".

Don't know what to do now, i've been researching Digi Cams for weeks and trying to decide which one to buy. I thought I had decided on the FZ5 and then I heard that the FZ7 was coming out. Now it's out and although there is a more features(for the better) there is no improvement on "NOISE" issues, possibly worse.

:?

I might just hang on a little longer and see if Sony bring out a H2. Does anyone know if Sony have a H2 in the pipeline or if any other manufactures are bringing out a new "Super Zoom"?

Well I've decided that I am going to hang on until May as I believe that Sony are bringing out the H2 and H7.

DP reviews rated the Sony H1 as the near perfect "Super Zoom" a part from a couple of teething prob's. If these have been ironed out with the H2, it will most certainly give thePanasonic FZ7 a good run for it's money. Could even top it! Especially if the rumours of the CZ lens are true.

Can't wait for the first preview.

Role on May!

Oh, and apparently the price is going to be around $399.

http://www.sonycenter.lu

http://www.letsgodigital.org

Predator is offline   Reply With Quote