Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:39 PM   #1

I've got the camera and it's working great, I'm very happy with it. Now I'm in the processes of ordering a Nikon 4T, and stepping ring, but could use a little advice.

Can anyone recommend me a good carrying case for the FZ30, just a standard shoulder bag (not a fanny pack!) would be great. There are so many out there it's hard to know which case will fit which cameras. The stuff in the local stores here are just awful, so I'd like to order something decent.

Is it worth getting a UV filter if for no other reason than to protect the lens? And if so are all UV filters created equal or is there a particular brand I should be more inclined to purchase over the others?

Any other must haves?

Any advice on this stuff would be great, I can't wait to get that close up lens so I can start trying some macros.

And as a side note a big thanks to everyone here for all the posts I've read over the last few weeks, the sample pictures you all post and the advice I have recieved. I would never have been able to decide on this camera without it.

Thanks
T
Twitch1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:46 PM   #2

I can not help with the case,as a 29" pullman suitcase wold be about the right size for me...

As far as a UV filter I like Hoya multicoated filters about 25 bucks

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Perhaps a microfiber cloth for cleaning the lens and filter

A couple batteries from the battery barn

http://www.batterybarn.com/cgas006.htm

An extra card or two and a card reader

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20163152#Combo

I would not buy cards under 66X speed and any 10 dollar or so card reader will be fine........do yourself a big favor and get the reader now before it is needed.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice about filters! I already have some batteries on the way and I'm good for SD cards and a reader.

Anyone have any experience with lowepro bags? I talked to a couple stores and they both recommended that brand. Anyone know what specific models would fit the FZ30?

T
Twitch1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:42 PM   #4

Twitch had some good questions, maybe you can help me too.

I want to buy a panasonic lumix dmc z30. Unfortunately no one in my area sells panasonics. Even if I drive 40 miles to the nearest "big" city will I find one to even look at.

I've been searching the Internet and checking out bundled packages on eBay. What do you think of the packages offered on eBay that come with a bag, filter lens, a bag, card reader, 1G card, tripod, etc. Is it better to buy a bundled package or buy the camera and each accessory when needed and where do you find Internet sites to purchase accessories and who has the best price?

I thought the panasonic z30 came with a battery and charger. So right off the bat if you bought just the camera you would have to buy an extra battery and a larger card.

Although bundled packages seem nice I don't need some of the items -- so why pay for them?

I want to buy the camera, but should I buy it bundled or buy everything separately? I'm totally confused.
2grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:26 PM   #5

@Twitch...i picked up the Lowepro NOVA 3 AW shoulder bag a couple of weeks back and it's working out ok for me...it all has the ability to attach to you waist also, so it's roomy and secure...

@2grand...the old saying of 'you get what you pay for' applies here...personally, i would buy the camera at a reputable shop (i bought at B&H, others at Adorama, BuyDig) and have had no probs as these are established on-line etailers...the reason ebay gives you so much stuff is to impress you (with a bunch of eye candy), actually most (or all) the items are junk that you'll end up replacing with quality gear down the road...
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:26 AM   #6

About Lowepro... I own a Nova Micro AW which just fits my FZ10+charger (I need to carry it) +extra batt and SD+ one thing or two more.

It is a good model, you can carry it on your shoulder and also attach it to your waist, although personally I'm thinking of getting / adapting a backpack since the shoulder thing sometimes bother you while taking pics.

Good luck.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:05 AM   #7

I just purchased my fz30 on Sunday online from beach camera for 483.00 with free fedex shipping. Beach is very reputable,great reviews and I have used them before. Easy to order online. I got a confirmation e-mail the next day and it was shipped less than 24 hours after I ordered it. Free shipping says 8-10 days but mine is due on Thur,only 3-4 days. Good Luck.
nyjets011269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:10 AM   #8

You can get a battery for the fz30 from digital innovations inc. It's on e-bay,I have already bought 2 of them. It's 1000 mah the most powerful I have seen. They are 14.89 and 8.00 shipping.
nyjets011269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:52 AM   #9

>You can get a battery for the fz30 from digital innovations inc. It's on e-bay,I
>have already bought 2 of them. It's 1000 mah the most powerful I have seen.

I've been looking around for a battery that's a bit cheaper than the (rather expensive) Panasonic originals that you can get locally, I've seen some advertised as 1000mAh, which seems rather high, has anyone actually tried running one of these down from a full charge to see how they compare to the original Panasonic battery? Also, I've heard various complaints in online forums about batteries not quite fitting the camera and/or charger (usually the problem is that they fall out), any complaints about Digital Innovations or Power2000 batteries?

(Incidentally, insert standard grumble here about companies/eBay sellers whose idea of international orders is "We also ship to Canada". Yeah, country *and* western).
Lens Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:15 AM   #10

Camera bag suggestion for FZ30:

Lowe Pro Nova 1 - retail about $30 but you can find them on Ebay for $15.

Yes, it is too much bag for "just" the FZ30.

However, I can easily carry FZ30, extra batts (inc dps 9000 and its charger!) & two accessory lenses (Olympus WCON-08 and B300) and do combo run/photo ops jaunts with the Lowe Pro 1.:-)

Bag is also "weather resistant."

Yes, definitely get a UV filter.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote