Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:29 PM   #1

Hi,

After getting a better look at my Panasonic FZ5, I noticed that the lens is not exactly placed in the center of the metal ring from the body. (I hope the description is clear).

In the picture I placed a red arrow where the spacing is larger between the lens and the ring then where I placed the blue arrow.

Are there more FZ5 ownerswho haveseen thiswith their camera ? (or maybe other Panasonic owners).

I also included a picture which is taken afterI noticed the difference in spacing. To me it looks good, so I think the difference in spacing is no problem.

Thanks,

Attached Images

vdbjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:30 PM   #2

Taken after I noticed the difference in spacing

Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:54 PM   #3

The lens in my FZ20 has that much play and it works fine...I think its normal.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:24 PM   #4

I just checked my FZ5 and see that it has a very slight differential in gap spacing on opposite sides of maybe ~1mm,so I'd have to say its not unusual. If concerned, though, perhaps you could take a sharp closeup of a multi-lined pattern that fills the image and then rotate the camera 180 degrees and retake the photo.

Not sure if one could obtain a calibrated lined pattern that would allow the target to be moved accurately enough to confirm the frame is atthe lens'center, but, if availalble, this should work, as well. If there are any issues of alignment, I'd imagine there would be some differences in the opposite edges of the frames where the misalignments occur....
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:46 PM   #5

My FZ5 is the same way. This "mis-alignment" only comes into play when there is vignetting from using an accessory lens with the adapter. Notice the dark corners on the right herewith the raynox hd6600 .66x wa lens on the fz5. Mine done the same thing.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:34 AM   #6

So it seems to be no problem then.

Thanks for the comments.

I will try to get a multi-lined pattern and make a close-up of it as mentioned by Telecorder.

Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:43 PM   #7

Here some pattern fotos that I took when I noticed the difference in spacing, To my judgement everything seems to be OK. The photos are taken out of hand and the light conditions where far from perfect.

#1, macro

Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:43 PM   #8

#2, tele macro

Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:57 PM   #9

Just a little bit of zoom would have corrected the barrel distortion in the first, 1x, macro shot.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote