Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:51 PM   #1

I'm thinking of getting one of those leather hand straps for the FZ30. I'm terrified of dropping the camera or the camera strap getting hooked on to some thing and the camera falling ( it has happend in the past).

Does anyone have one of those Hand Straps, are they any good and can anyone recomend a place to buy one ?

If you don't know what I'm talking about here is a link for a hand strap on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Elite-Leather-Ha...QQcmdZViewItem
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:55 PM   #2

I have been admiring that hand strap. However, I discovered it AFTER I made my own hand strap out of Neoprene. I highly recommend a hand strap. Modern cameras do not hang around the neck that gracefully or comfortably. They are, however, designed to rest very comfortably in the hand. Further, having a leather strap on your camera is just one more motivation not to expose it to water! I leave my hand strap on while shooting, and move the camera to my wrist to change batteries when shooting in the field. No accidents so far!

Photodox, the seller, is excellent, and I have ordered accessories from them before.
AmanitaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:25 AM   #3

Can you still you the neck strap with that ?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:36 AM   #4

I have this handstrap. Two actually, just bought my second one back in Sacramento, California. Ritz Camera store. Sells for $19.95. I use it for my dSLR and love it. It will fit the FZ20 and FZ30 and yes you can attach the neckstrap to it.

By the way this handstrap is made by Sunpak.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:25 AM   #5

Excellent thanks so I can use the neck strap and the hand strap at the same time great.

I will order the hand strap as soon as possible.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:10 AM   #6

I use this wrist strap and I like it a lot but I do not use a neckstrap

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:30 AM   #7

I can see why you don't use the neckstrap. It is not designed to use the neckstrap in conjunction with this particular handstrap.

The Sunpak version or other named brand is designed for it and the feel is solid in your hand especially with a dSLR.

Many choices out there on how one likes to hold and handle their camera and everyone is right, when it comes to filling in their need.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:55 AM   #8

I was looking at that hand strap link that you posted. Its a little different then the one I had seen. Is that one any better ? The other seems it may be a little more secure since it latches into the tripd screw at the bottom and then ties to the side of the camera ( thats what it looks like in the picutre ).
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:33 AM   #9

I do not like neckstraps for the same reasons previously mentioned...and for the way I use a camera ..slipping my hand into the strap assures me I will not drop the camera.

I did try the one like what the thread started over but made by Hakuba and I did not find it comfortable to me nor do I like the Idea that it fits in the tripod socket as I use a QR plate and the combo just does not go well together. IMHO
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:22 PM   #10

Upon further review the one shown on the ebay site differs from the Sunpak. The tripod socket is directly under the twist wheel (Sunpak)and not off to the side as shown in the ebay one. This particular one advertised may be even better since the original tripod mount on the camera for the FZ1, 10 and 20 is not center with the lens.

I don't mount on a tripod with this handstrap either since it is not hard to put on and take off.