Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:07 PM   #11

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
the shots you posted look like they were taken in pretty poor light, which never helps. the FZ's all want good light for best results. at lower light levels, even with OIS, the images can come out a bit soft because most lenses aren't as sharp wide open as they are at smaller apertures.

But how do the the FZ's perform indoors, in the evening with some lights on, using the FZ's flashlight?

I want a replacement for my Konica Minolta z2, and find trouble focusing in lowlight situations with the Z2. A lot of my pictures will be taken indoors of my children, using the flash. But will AF do its job or can it easily be done with MF?

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:29 PM   #12

You get it right sometimes so once you grasp where you are going wrong you can get it right most times!

Regarding focus, I most always shoot using the viewfinder rather thanthe LCD screen and was having focus problems till I realised I need to remove my spectacles and set the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder to suit my eyes!

If you can get to a decent sized public library, most have a wide selection of photography books which you can borrow at no cost.

There is a lot to learn and we are all still learning but I find if you take it one thing at a time, it comes together.

There are some great articles on the net too.

See www.shortcourses.com for some great stuff, especially number 3 'Fine Tuning Exposure"

Check out sites like www.vividlight.com.
The intro to DP by Frank Phillips is very good. http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3016.htm

Good luck, and hang in there. There are better days ahead.

Max
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:20 PM   #13

Rudo wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
the shots you posted look like they were taken in pretty poor light, which never helps. the FZ's all want good light for best results. at lower light levels, even with OIS, the images can come out a bit soft because most lenses aren't as sharp wide open as they are at smaller apertures.
But how do the the FZ's perform indoors, in the evening with some lights on, using the FZ's flashlight?

I want a replacement for my Konica Minolta z2, and find trouble focusing in lowlight situations with the Z2. A lot of my pictures will be taken indoors of my children, using the flash. But will AF do its job or can it easily be done with MF?

Rudo
Rudo,

from what i've heard, the FZ's are not at their best indoors. generally speaking, they are optimized for outdoor daylight photography. after all, you don't need a 432mm lens to take snapshots of the kids in the living room... so the metering and AF systems are not at their best indoors in dim light.i've used mine for some indoor shots, mostly with natural light because i don't like flash, and i've not had problems with focus. the AF seems to work quite well, even with minimal light, thanks to the AF assist lamp. it will focus at light levelsthat are too dim even for manual, andif you're using an FZ5, you don't have manual focus anyway.

i find the flash on my FZ20 is often too harsh, so i cover it with a piece of printer paper (plain white paper) to act as a diffuser, which cuts down on the harshness of the light. i try to use natural light as much as possible, but sometimes the flash is unavoidable. i get clear shots, but i don't care for the lighting...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:49 AM   #14

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Rudo,

from what i've heard, the FZ's are not at their best indoors. generally speaking, they are optimized for outdoor daylight photography. after all, you don't need a 432mm lens to take snapshots of the kids in the living room... so the metering and AF systems are not at their best indoors in dim light.i've used mine for some indoor shots, mostly with natural light because i don't like flash, and i've not had problems with focus. the AF seems to work quite well, even with minimal light, thanks to the AF assist lamp. it will focus at light levelsthat are too dim even for manual, andif you're using an FZ5, you don't have manual focus anyway.
Hello Squirl

Thanks for the reply

I wanted to buy the FZ30. Ofcourse indoors I would more use the wide angle, but ocasionaly I'm using the zoom (380 mm) with my minolta also, to take a picture of just a face from the other side of the room, so the person didn't notice that I'm gonna take a picture.

I want to use the zoom for outside, walking in the park, going to the beach, whatever.... I just want a camera which can do it all. Make some snapshots indoors, but also make some serious photo's outdoors.

But for indoors you wouldn't recommend the FZ30, but I only have money for one camera, what camera would you suggest to me...???

Thanks!

P.S. fmf, Sorry I Hijacked yor original posting!
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:28 AM   #15
fmf

Thanks alot for all the advice. I've learned a lot just from this thread. Exposure bracketing! I knew it was there but never used it! Thanks for the links Pudduck, I am going to check those out today.

I am starting to think that for one, I'm just expecting too much out of poor light conditions. When is the sun going to come out again?
fmf is offline   Reply With Quote