Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1

i had put a nikon 6t on my christmas list (to complement the tcon17b and wcon08b for my fz20/62mm adapter), only to find out they've become nearly impossible to find. so i've read dozens of posts since, trying to decide on an alternative. but what i've found is the alternatives either don't match the specs (magnification mainly) of the 6t, or they are much more expensive. i'm kinda leaning towards one of the raynox, but snapping on, versus screwing on, just seems kinda cheezy to me. your opinions will be very helpful.

kind of a side note. has anyone read anywhere of the cause of the nikon 6t shortage? did they have a factory blow up? were they just so popular supply couldn't keep up with demand? are they a discontinued item forever? a macro lens isn't a priority for me, but am i wasting my time waiting for the nikon 6t's to start showing up again, if ever?
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:40 AM   #2

Well, the lens itself doesn't snap on, it comes with a snap-on adapter. If I understand correctly, you could replace the adapter with a step-down ring with no problems. I think Raynox just thought their product would be purchased by macro hobbyists who would want to change between macro and normal shooting with ease.

Which Raynox are you looking at?
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3

thanks, ignavia. you're quick.

i'd really like to stay away from buying extra step up/down rings. if the raynox, using the adapter, is sturdy, and just doesn't fall off while trying to take a picture, i have no problem using a snap on. i just haven't read any posts from anyone commenting on pluses or minuses of snapping on lenses.

i was leaning towards the dcr250, because i think that would provide all the magnification i'd need. but then i've read a lot of posts advising peeps to start lower (dcr150), and work their way up to greater magnification lenses, since getting the focus correct is acquired by practice.

last summer/fall i didn't do a lot of shots of flowers and bugs justice because i had such a tough time zooming in on them, and still maintaining focus/depth of field. i'm hoping a macro lens will provide better results this year.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4

I have had similar problems trying to get a Nikon 4T (I'm based in the UK). I currently have one ordered with Amazon who keep telling me it'll be another 1-2 weeks. I also can't understand the shortage. Is it simply demand outstripping supply?

I plan to give it another week and then I'm ordering the Raynox DCR 150 (which at least appears to be in stock on one UK supplier's website).

Matt
matt_xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:46 PM   #5

I have the dcr250 and feel very confortable with the snap on adapter. At +8 diopter, the dcr250 has an extremely shallow dof which is difficult to use. I only occassionally use it for small insects. The +4 diopter dcr150 is a much more useful lens, IMO. Both the dcr150 and 250 have 43mm threads and you willhave trouble finding a 62-43mm step down ring. Using 2 (or 3)rings is tedious to say the least. Another option is the 58mm +4 diopter Canon 250d which would need an easily obtained 62-58 ring. Both the dcr150 and the 250d are available at B&H. The 250d is twice the $$ but its much larger diameter willresult inno vignetting throughout the zoom. The dcr150 will vignett below 3-4x.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:07 PM   #6

thanks very much for that, fmoore. i would feel warmer and fuzzier about buying the dcr150 now. depth of field is very important to me, so that would kinda leave out the dcr250.

i was just looking at b&h photo, and i noticed the mcon35. i really like the fact it would screw in directly to my 62mm adapter. but it costs $35 more than the nikon 6t. how does the mcon35 depth of field capabilities compare with the dcr150?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:30 PM   #7

I forgot about the 62mm mcon35.I have the 55mm oly b-macro which is essentially the same lens and is by far my most frequently used macro lens. (I also have a +1.5 diopter nikon 3t and a+4 minolta #2.) The mcon35 and 6t are very similar. There are currentlya few mcon-35's on ebay.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:27 AM   #8

Hello.

I was also looking for some macro lens for my FZ10, although I was going for the Panasonic DMW-LC52. My problem is, last time I checked on BHphoto.com the Raynox adapter was not in stock. SO, I was wondering if someone knows where can I get some other adaptor for the FZ10... is there some kind of specification I should look for?

Thanks.

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:33 AM   #9

rt5264p for $13 at http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...y-rt5264p.html
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:49 AM   #10

Thanks a lot!

BTW, does the adaptor have any special feature? Or can I just use a step-up ring from *** to 52mm?

***: What's the diameter of the FZ10??????
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote