Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:19 PM   #1

It does seem the noise issue is letting it really down with all reviews...
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...era-Review.htm
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:55 PM   #2

a lot of people keep screaming NISE, but than thery buy the camera and say IT IS PERFECT !!! Forget the noise, use Noise Ninja and correct it , it is not a big deal... Besides, only some ISO settings exibit noise, so where is the big problem? Reviews also said that the FZ30 has noise, but look at posted pictures on dpreview and you dont see noise.....
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:22 PM   #3

Compared to the dslr's with their larger sensors (andnecessarily larger cameras), the small sensored compacts are bound to exhibit more noise. The reviewers are simply telling it like it is. You increase the mp's on the same size sensor and the noise increases. So you try to process it out but you end up with problems there as well. There is no free lunch. The mp wars are over and the iso (noise) wars have begun and it's about time, IMO. But beauty remains in the eyes of the beholder. So if you're happy with the current noise levels, that's okay. The reviewers aren't saying the noise levels are unacceptable. The FZ7 is still recommended and is considered one of the best affordable small zoom cameras out there. That really hasn't changed even though it doesn't get the "highly recommended" stamp of approval. Fuji has developed a small sensor/processor combo that somehow keeps the noise down and is able to go to higher iso with decent picture quality. Unfortunately they haven't come up with an image stabilized system nor do they have the Leica quality lens. Panasonic needs to duplicate Fuji's sensor/processor technology and apply it to their lens/ois system and they will have a winner even the reveiwers will love. In the meantime, the FZ7 looks to me to be an excellent buy at less the $400.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:38 AM   #4

SalBolzano wrote:
Quote:
a lot of people keep screaming NISE, but than thery buy the camera and say IT IS PERFECT !!! Forget the noise, use Noise Ninja and correct it , it is not a big deal... Besides, only some ISO settings exibit noise, so where is the big problem? Reviews also said that the FZ30 has noise, but look at posted pictures on dpreview and you dont see noise.....
Well, you're right if you like tweaking your pics afterwards but myself trying to take a photo so its perfect without like Picasa's "I'm feeling lucky"... And that's the REAL chalenge!
PetroL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:53 AM   #5

I really always figured ISO400 was kind of a get a shot you could not have otherwise taken.....and that 800 and 1600 is just an exageration of that thought. IMHO

But I do not have a problem with noise at ISO200 or less on a properly exposed photo.

Thats not to say it will not bother some people but unless I need to get aggresive with PP... I never run a NR program. Again that is take the photo correctly and the noise is not a problem.

For what these FZ cameras can do ....they are hard to beat.

Here are some crops of photos from cameras that generally get referred to as having better noise. the cameras are a Canon S80 and a S2 IS and the FZ30.

I got these photos from imaging resource and cropped them ..they are all ISO200

They are all 100% crops ..I tried to be fair as they are not resized only cropped.

http://imageevent.com/grc6/fontsize3...mp;z=4&l=0

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:48 AM   #6

Hmmm after reading Steve latest review about FZ7, and some samples only ISO 80 to ISO 400, seem pretty good to me. :idea:
I think I confirm to get FZ7 next month
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote