Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:28 PM   #11

Agree with Genece:

no hope to receive a camera back.

About 15 years ago an american couple forgot an EOS in the train and I reached them in the Roma station to give it back.

If it happened now with a 350D I'd neither dream to do that.

Only the looser can complain and I hope to never lose my cam or the bag with the 6T and 5T in it during or after one of my excursions.
Really can't think to but expensive dSLR and lenses with such a danger to lose, break or be robbed of them during my wanderings (although no one denies the better IQW of Entry level dSLR with GOOD lenses).
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:51 PM   #12

Videosilva...

It was near dusk...no cemetery peeps around. That is why I went with PD.

There ya go!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:59 PM   #13

I can definitely empathize as my camera (FZ20) and gear were stolen from our van in mid-January. I've managed to acquire my new FZ30 but due to weather and circumstances, I'm not yet as comfortable with the new camera. I think I will love it, but was surprised at the differences as I'd imagined it would be a piece of cake to go from the FZ20 to the FZ30.

I reported my camera loss and it is in the national database of stolen property - but I don't expect to ever see it again. I watched eBay like a hawk for the first 3 weeks and called all the pawn shops in the area - but you just have to let it go - as frustrating as it is.
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:14 AM   #14

It's a wierrrrrd world folks. I have found a ton of stuff and tracked down owners all over the place, as before I retired, my work took me all over, in and out of our city. I have returned dogs, cameras, wallets, cheques...but it seems not everybody really wants their stuff back. I found an entire aluminum case (small suitcase sized) jam packed with cameras (Hasselblad) and all types of lenses etc. way out in the boonies....by the side of the road. (Way before digital) The guy was from another city, I had tracked him down from info I found in the case. He didn't seem overjoyed, but did correctly identify the contents etc. When he didn't come up with a plan after a lot of debate, I told him I'd drop it off at the local PD as well...I sure wasn't gonna drive 200 miles to deliver it. Don't even know if he got it or not. But most folks were very happy to get their stuff back. It pays off big time. My wife has twice lost her purse/wallet (once on vacation). She was hysterical. A N D both times she got her stuff back. Promptly too. Bartender in the hotel and once it was a fellow shopper. Both were rewarded, my wife refused to allow them to leave without her showing her gratitude. She was just so happy to get her stuff back. (Women carry eveything in those purses!) What goes around.....

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:07 AM   #15
E.T

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
And that they don't show up on his door step with their 9 year-old asking forĀ*the latestĀ*upgrade.
Or demanding getting camera fixed because kid used it as "throwing instrument"...

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Come on that can not be real ? Can it ?
If you think this specie has reached rock bottom there's always someone willing to take a shovel and start digging deeper.

Kayceespix wrote:
Quote:
I can definitely empathize as my camera (FZ20) and gear were stolen from our van in mid-January.
Yeah, especially in a city car is risky place to leave anything valuable, you have to always hide things you leave to car for not making it attractive target for "cleaning"... Even if stolen items wouldn't cost much thieves often break car in such way which will cost...
One thing making "cleaning" cars attractive for thieves is negligible punishment, fines just aren't any real deterrent... week in a stocks in middle of marketplace would be much effective, or caning a'la Singapore.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:08 AM   #16

Yeah, I learned a hard lesson - whole family was together and I got sloppy leaving my backpack in the floorboard of the passenger side (I was always so paranoid, I never allowed it out of my sight). While that shouldn't have mattered - in the world of today it does. I'll never do it again!

Funny, 30 years ago I lost a camera at Walt Disney World on one of the rides. I wrote to them and received it back, sans flash attachment. I wrote again, and voila, received the flash attachment back as well.

And I too have managed to find things belonging to others which we were able to return. Always makes you feel good.
Quote:
Kayceespix wrote:
Quote:
I can definitely empathize as my camera (FZ20) and gear were stolen from our van in mid-January.
Yeah, especially in a city car is risky place to leave anything valuable, you have to always hide things you leave to car for not making it attractive target for "cleaning"... Even if stolen items wouldn't cost much thieves often break car in such way which will cost...
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:28 AM   #17

Last summer I went to the bank and waited while the person in front of me used the ATM. He left and I started to do my thing when trying to insert my card I noticed the guy in front of me had left his card in the machine.

I was faced with " WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO NEXT " ? I could have withdrawn look at balances or what ever I wanted ! I took the card and and ran through the mall looking for a coat and jeans ( thats all I seen of the guy ) when I noticedt he wardrobe I screamed through the mall for the guy to stop as he was walking so fast. After a bit or running and yelling " hey, you, mr , stop, I have your bank card " the guys finally stoped.

I handed him his card told him what happend and that the card was ready for another transaction.

The guy took his card and just WALKED AWAY !

I couldn't belive it, it was like I was dreaming. I did not want any thing but at least a THANK YOU ! WOW THANKS ! YOU SAVED MY LIFE ! THANKS !

NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:32 AM   #18

I also find things while out in the city: cell phones, credit cards etc and always make an attempt to return them. I once found a camera (Before the advent of digital) and noticed that almost a full roll of photos had been taken. Thinking that they might help identify the owner, I developed them and scouted the area where I had found the cameralooking for somewhere familiar in the photos. Having no luck, I dropped the photos in a local bakery thinking that at least the people might be recognized by the staff if they were from the area. I had to take the camera across Toronto to the lost and found dept and was told to check back in 60 days.

When I got home, there was a message from the bakery, saying I had lost some photos there! I had forgotten to remove my name and phone number after having them developed and the staff thought they were mine.

Sixty days later, the camera was still unclaimed and I was told I could claim it. I imagine the owner either didn't realize wherethe camera was lost or didn't think it would be returned and so didn't bother contacting the police.

I believe in Karma, and I feel honesty is its own reward.

wighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:05 PM   #19

Lost things are one thing. Now a lost dog....I got my most warm thank you's from the number of dogs over the years that I reunited with their owners. Best of all when my black lab Riley went on a walk about, I not only got him back, but the guy and his family had him for three weeks and never stopped looking around for me. They eventually came across a poster I'd put out. He was in prime shape, and liked the new family and their dog so much (they were ready to adopt him) he often leaped our fence and went to visit them. They always called me and I'd go get him....:lol:they called him "black Bob". That was over 25 years ago, and I hope people today would still do the same.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote