Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:26 PM   #1

I read in dpreview for the new Canon 30D and I found this

<100,000 cycle shutter durability>

It seems that the sutter of all cameras can make only limited ammount of shots before break down. Because I use autobraketing a lot I am seriously woried about the "shutter life" problem. Does anybody know the shutter cycle durability of the FZ cameras?
How many shots you made with your cammera - anyone with more than 20000 shots?

And another thnig - When my FZ20 is turned on - it makes constant busy noise (not the noise during the startup) if I put my ear to its body. Does any one hear the same?
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:44 PM   #2

At an average of 200 shots every week, it would take you 10 years to get to approx 100,000.

Relax.
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:08 PM   #3

i think those shutter "durability" or "life cycle" numbers are intended to be minimums. most manufacturers of products that have expected durability requirements will test their products to see when that part or function fails. they will typically use this to aid in formulating warranties, and the point at which they begin to experience failures more often than would be expected from simple randomchance is the point they call their "minimum life cycle". in other words, the 30D should be good for AT LEAST 100,000 shots before you have to concern yourself with the shutter, and it will very probably go well beyond that number.

as for the noise you hear, my FZ20 makes odd little whirring/scraping noises periodically while i'm walking around with it turned on.what you're hearing is probablythe autofocus/metering mechanism, nothing to worry about. if you have continuous AF selected, it's probably making more noise because it's constantly changing focus.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:13 PM   #4

I have 40,000 on a FZ10 and 30,000 on a FZ20 and 3,200 on a FZ30.

seems to me a 100,000 in 3 or 4 years is well within reason.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:07 PM   #5

Shoot, shoot shoot! I wouldn't give it a second thought. Panasonic is a brand that is well known for quality products. I am in the 5000 plus range with my 30, and I have a Minolta which I've shot over 5o,ooo shots. Nary a hitch with either. By the time you wear out the shutter, you'll have found some other excuse for upgrading to the next great thing in digicams anyway.:-) You can't lose...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:44 PM   #6

I have over 11,000 with my FZ30...I think my shutter finger will wear out before the shutter ! :-)
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:52 AM   #7

my current camera is at 15k, the only problem is some scratches that got on the body while playing in Morrocco.
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:21 PM   #8

10x a lot to all.
I am wondering why Panasonic does not say what is the shutter "life" of their cameras. Maybe the sutter is more likely to break in dSLD - with their FAST 1/8000 or even 1/16000s shiters maybe there is more presure in it than in the regular one 1/2000 - what do you guys (and girls) thing about this?

Squirl - the noise that I describe is not the one that can be head from auto metering/focus.
When I put mu ear next to the left of the camera (the lens faced forward from me) I hear some bussy noise - if you are faliliar with electronic componest - like the noise from a "defective" diode.
The good news is that the same noise I hear from my brother FZ5 camera. So maybe this is a normal (or both camera have defect )

sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:04 PM   #9

At my age I just give most people a blank look and shrug my shoulders if they ask "can you hear that?" My hearing is ok for an old guy, but high frequencies and such don't even make a blip on my radar. I believe this is why I am so happy and content. (Ignorance is bliss....?) Heh...heh....if you can't hear an irritating or worrying noise it won't irritate you or worry youI guess. (Just ask my wife...:lol dumm...dee...dummm...deee...dummdummm dummm....what? Did you say something?
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:36 PM   #10

genece wrote:
Quote:
I have 40,000 on a FZ10 and 30,000 on a FZ20 and 3,200 on a FZ30.

seems to me a 100,000 in 3 or 4 years is well within reason.

is ther a way to find out how many ur cam has taken or are these bal park figures?
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote