Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:44 PM   #1

I'm confused about whether, having transferred all my images on to the computer, I should do a "Delete All", a format of the card, or do both.

Panasonic says in their manual (page 115 of the UK version, on Initializing the Card [FORMAT]) "Usually, it is not necessary to format the card. Format it when the message MEMORY CARD ERROR appears."

However, many comments I see on this topic come down firmly in favour of formatting, either every time or at least usually, after downloading all the images to the computer.

Is it a case of personal preference or is there more authoritative evidence on this issue beyond what Panasonic say?
Peter_with_digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:56 PM   #2

All I ever do is download my pics into a folder in my computer, review them to be sure they copied ok, then just delete them off the card using the computer/card reader. Slicker'n a peeled onion. Thousands of pics, not one single hitch. Formatted a card once after I accidentally screwed up somehow with a card reader, but as I recall I formatted using the camera as was recommended. Even new cards have worked right off the bat right out of the package without a format. Good luck...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:40 PM   #3

Another opinion

Delete all for a dozen times or so and then Format in the camera.

I would imagine if you deleted all files and empty folders with windows explorer, that would do ......but I have seen cards slow down because of empty folders on the card.

You just heard from one that never formats and there are many that format everytime, most have no problems....but as I said I have seen cards slow down and a format gets them up to speed again......

I wanted to add I never formatted at first and I had a Lexar card quit....Lexar replaced it and advised an occasional format.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4

My procedure is to 'select all' pix, hit 'CTL X', open the destination directory on the hard drive and hit 'CTL C'.

Never had a problem.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:57 AM   #5

Quote:
hit 'CTL X'

It would seem to me if you looked at your card with explorer there should be a bunch of empty folders on the card....if so thats not a good plan.

Now if you are cutting the original folder also....that may be OK but why not format at least once in a while......that seems to be the most recommended method.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:52 PM   #6

genece wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
hit 'CTL X'

It would seem to me if you looked at your card with explorer there should be a bunch of empty folders on the card....if so thats not a good plan.

Now if you are cutting the original folder also....that may be OK but why not format at least once in a while......that seems to be the most recommended method.
I have never seen any "empty folders" after a delete. However having said that, I usually do go with manufacturers suggestions also. It can't hurt. So, for the little extra involved, I believe to play it safe because speed I S important with these cards, I will NOW format occasinally. Thanks...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:20 PM   #7

Sorry, Genece, I wasn't explicit enough -- I navigate to the active directory on the card first.

"Select all" then only selects the contents, not the directory.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:38 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I've come to the conclusion that Gene's approach may be the better one, and a compromise between the polarised views I've come across of "I never format" and "I format every time I've downloaded images".

From my reading of people's views on this thorny issue from a variety of sources, it's clear that there is no consensus. The occasional format method seems fairly close to Panasonic's advice in their manual, as I said at the beginning.

I would still be interested to see what other camera (and card) manufacturers have to say on this topic, but this could involve quite a bit of delving and which I don't really have time for at the moment.
Peter_with_digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:42 AM   #9

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, Genece, I wasn't explicit enough -- I navigate to the active directory on the card first.

"Select all" then only selects the contents, not the directory.

When I did it that way I would end up after a while with several empty folders in the DCIM folder

I forget how they were numbered.....I think101_pana...102_pana... 103_pana,and so forth and they slowed the camera down.

It seemed after 999 photos, panasonic changed the folder number weather the other folder was full or not.

That was with the FZ10 maybe that has changed with the newer models.